Sponsored

Gladiator Vs Defender 130

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
That color on a Jeep.....I would love to see it.
And that rubber matting on the hood. Love that. Would do something like that on my Jeep.

Saw this for sale near me.
Surprised how similar it is.
Hopefully ours will be worth $90K in 26 years too.;)

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Vs Defender 130 _nc_ohc=GXl8VMoYz7UAX-uTdqB&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-2

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Vs Defender 130 _nc_ohc=GXl8VMoYz7UAX-uTdqB&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-2

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Defenders were awesome. I drove one in the service many years ago. They had some idiosyncrasies that most consumers today would find annoying (not enough dashboard heater outlets, seating was really close to the wall so your shoulder was smack up against the B-pillar). They were narrower than modern Jeeps which was good for narrow trails but less stable on the highway. With the V8 and locking differentials they were great off road. Like old Jeeps, they were simple and easy to work on. Such a shame Land Rover vacated this space. The new Defender is really a toughened-up Discovery - it should be named the LR5. Land Rover should have come out with a solid axle Defender that could pass safety standards. You gotta give props to Jeep for the degree to which they have held true to the original mission of the Jeep - whether in the 2-door, 4-door, or pick-up variety. Brits mourn the passing of the real Defender. I hope we never have to do the same with Jeep.

Erievon

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTR., 2021 JLU Altitude
Occupation
International Banker
I love the D130s and D110s double cab short beds. The Gladiator resemblance is quite astounding, and what caused me to buy one when it finally became available. I'll own a Helderburg bespoke Defender some day, hopefully Paul is still doing them by the time I can afford it. The Gladiator is nicer in almost every way, but there's just something about a Defender...

Sponsored

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
There is a YouTuber from South Africa that has (or had) a built 130, got my full attention when I ran across his channel. The 130 pickup is about 400 lbs lighter than a Rubicon and has a max gross 1200 lbs heavier, so the useful payload is a lot closer to an F250 than even a half-ton!

The 4 cyl Diesel sounds like misery, though.....

Ahh, found it: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLV6JzkjHOiD2uvGwPLqz1Q

RCKLNDR

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
When the Gladiator first came out and the internet was complaining about the rear door shape, all I could think of the 110 and 130.

I said when the bronco came out, that’s what the new Defender should’ve mimicked. Too bad they went between the rebirth of the blazer and bronco with it. Def shoulda bear the discovery nameplate.

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
The rebirth of the Blazer....sigh....talk about an insult.

When the Gladiator first came out and the internet was complaining about the rear door shape, all I could think of the 110 and 130.

I said when the bronco came out, that’s what the new Defender should’ve mimicked. Too bad they went between the rebirth of the blazer and bronco with it. Def shoulda bear the discovery nameplate.

gouacats

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTM; JK; WK2
Nice! This was my dream vehicle back in college (early 90s). Yellow and everything. What year?

Sponsored

Longleaf

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE, 2018 Desert Sled
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
One of the reasons I added the softopper was to look more like a modern 130. Just wish someone made hood/ fender protection like that.
I scratched my painted fenders on my first off road trip. :facepalm:

booneja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport (hers) and Overland (His)
Occupation
RCAF Veteran/ Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
The 130 or 110 is my dream vehicle, however since they completely ruined the new defender, It would be even more unattainable to get one that has been fully restored in decent shape in my area. I've looked at a few sites that do restorations/ rebuilds , but shy of me forking out $120k plus, it is out of reach
Sponsored