Sponsored

Gladiator vs the power wagon

Geekjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport s
It’s funny I haven’t seen it pop up here. The power wagon is essentially a giant rubicon.
Lockers sway disco and winch. Pretty awesome.
Sponsored

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
I like them, but for me the nails in the coffin were in no particular order:

• Expensiver
  • Fuel economy is asinine for a daily driver (or otherwise)
  • A heavy 2500 frame with compromised payload/towing
  • No one will wave at me
  • Likely too heavy for sand
  • Too wide for most of my hunting trails

OP
OP

Geekjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport s
I like them, but for me the nails in the coffin were in no particular order:

• Expensiver
  • Fuel economy is asinine for a daily driver (or otherwise)
  • A heavy 2500 frame with compromised payload/towing
  • No one will wave at me
  • Likely too heavy for sand
  • Too wide for most of my hunting trails
All very valid. Still seems cool. You can actually get it for about the same price as a rubicon. 50s to mid 60s

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
All very valid. Still seems cool. You can actually get it for about the same price as a rubicon. 50s to mid 60s
From what I recall the power wagon started at a hair over $56k, but I was after the 75th anniversary package which was like a $12,000 option. So… maybe that is somewhat objective as the Gladiator I built is a lot less than the PW I’d spec out.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Geekjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport s
I guess if you need more space it’s really the most closely capable in a bigger package

TexasTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ
I had a TJ and was going to get a PW to tow it, but still be able to play with it (check out Power Wagons in Moab). I ended up getting rid of the TJ, so I got the Gladiator since I didn’t need to tow any more.

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
So wait, in one thread we've got some dingleberry trying to convince everyone that the Bronco is too big to be compared to the Wrangler, but then we've got this thread asking why a damn Power Wagon isn't being compared to a Rubicon?

I must've taken a wrong turn out of reality somewhere...

sass JT

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
MWD
I watch a local Colorado rescue and recovery guy on YouTube. He has a JLR and a power wagon. Depending on the trail and how hard the pull is, he decides which vehicle to take. Like y’all have said… different vehicles different circumstances.

https://youtube.com/c/JustinKingOffroad

Sponsored

Tackett1980

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT overland
Occupation
NP-C
I actually traded my power wagon for a gladiator. Here’s my .02

Size didn’t bother me. I’ve off-roaded larger vehicles actually. Specifically an h1 and an h2 with 42” swampers. And these are WV trails so, yes the trails are skinny.

the interior is no comparison. The power wagons interior is 100x better than the gladiator. It’s roomy and comfy and was my favorite part of the vehicle.

The gas mileage was dumb. I had 38s on it and got about 9mpg, which is still better than the 5-6mpg that the h2 got on 42s but still. Horsing that 1 hour each way to work, stung. But I can’t fault it for that, I knew it going in. Why, oh why, these companies make these heavy vehicles with gas engines I’ll never know.

I did NOT like the way the power wagon handled on the road, at all. Off-road it was a beast, I could go anywhere with it. On road, it shook, it rattled, it swayed and wouldn’t track straight. No matter how many alignments or tire balances. It was a chore to drive actually.

The aftermarket sucks. Literally there is basically nothing cool to buy.

the stereo was hot garbage.

I could tow an Abrams.

All in all the three biggest factors that made me trade it was gas prices the pig-on-roller-skates on road handling, and the fact that I missed being able to take the top and doors off. If the first two things were a little better, I’d probably still have it.

OP
OP

Geekjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport s
So wait, in one thread we've got some dingleberry trying to convince everyone that the Bronco is too big to be compared to the Wrangler, but then we've got this thread asking why a damn Power Wagon isn't being compared to a Rubicon?

I must've taken a wrong turn out of reality somewhere...
I shared it’s little a giant oversized rubicon. Never meant to compare them side by side. Apples and oranges. Not so much a direct competitor. Only comparison I made was they are a similar price range. But for some one who needs more space. It’s as close to a rubicon as you can get. Even though it’s really different.

Tiny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator SportS, manual, soft top, black
Power wagon makes a nice platform for an overlander me thinks. Gladdy too but obviously a different animal.

I really like them both and could see where each would make sense depending on needs. Gladdy wins in the fun category hands down. The aforementioned aftermarket support/modularity, jeep peeps, and for me the availability to row my own just makes it a blast to own. All that said if I were mad maxing it, I'd probably go PW.

aj8544

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR,2018 Wrangler JLU 2.0, 2018 F150
I hate to say it but I’m actually considering trading my JT Rubicon for a Power Wagon right now. I love my JT dearly and still not sure I can stomach letting it go. However, with a new baby this past July we are now a family of 5 with 3 kids in car seats. I’ve been making it work with the slimmest seats available- diono radian for the 4 year old, graco snugride for the baby and peg perego viaggio flex booster for the 7 year old. The problem is the booster- its nearly impossible to buckle the seat belt between it and the infant seat, and the JT’s semi rigid connectors make it even harder. I tried a diono rear facing for the baby instead of the infant seat and it’s even worse- actually impossible. So basically once the baby is out of the carrier (6 more months max) I won’t be able to carry the kids.

Interior space and comfort is really the only place the Power Wagon wins in my opinion. That being said It’s the only vehicle I think I can possibly give up my JT for. If only the JT was 2 inches wider…

AmosMoses01

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
Technology
Dang, tough choices, but kiddos only going to get bigger. If this is your primary vehicle, then the PW will give you the space for growing kids. They and their friends will take tons of space.
Sponsored