Gladiator vs Toyota 4Runner Review (Car and Driver)

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    JK
    Liked:
    Slapping_Rabbits likes this.
  2. Slapping_Rabbits

Slapping_Rabbits Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Nirzwan
    Vehicle(s):
    Nissan rogue, triumph rocket iii roadster
    Liked:
    That was a good read. I was hoping for a bit of off road testing though.

3. OP
    OP
    LongTimeListener

Vehicle(s):
    JK
    Liked:
    I overland quite a bit in my JKUR. A buddy of mine has a modified 4Runner and he has never had to skip anything the Jeeps have done, including the Maze District of Utah. Articulation is definitely worse on the 4Runner. He'll have a tire in the air more often than the rest of us. But I have been very impressed with his rig, and wouldn't hesitate to buy one for overlanding if it was something I wanted. You'd definitely prefer a Jeep for serious rock crawling, but if you're rock crawling, a Gladiator is a bad choice too due to the breakover angle.

4. Slapping_Rabbits

Slapping_Rabbits Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Nirzwan
    Vehicle(s):
    Nissan rogue, triumph rocket iii roadster
    Liked:
    was his 4runner modded pretty heavily? Tires, lifts, bumpers, etc? I know one thing that deterred me from a 4runner was talking to some overland companies and they said it was more difficult and much more costly to mod one compared to any jeep anything.

5. OP
    OP
    LongTimeListener

Vehicle(s):
    JK
    Liked:
    Yes, it was pretty heavily modified and yes, it was expensive. Terrific result, though. One thing 4Runners really have going for them, as overlanding rigs, is a MUCH larger and more usable cargo area. It's almost laughable how compromised my JK looked next to his 4Runner.

6. AKDrifter

AKDrifter Member

First Name:
    Judah
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 JT Rubicon
    Liked:
    Well I guess I don't have to choose the wife has a '16 4Runner which we both absolutely love and I'm just waiting on my Gladiator to get built and delivered. For long drives the 4Runner is a great rig. The seats and ride quality are much better than the '16 Tacoma we traded in for it. It's hard to compare our 2 door JK to the 4Runner so the new Gladiator will be a better comparison when it arrives. When the 4Runner does die we are going to get another one. I've never liked a car so much that I decided it was going to be a permanent marquee in the garage through different generations. You're right about the interior space. Drop $600 at Costco and it will all fit.

Gladiator4Runner likes this.
  7. Iabonir

Iabonir Member

First Name:
    Richard
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 Jeep Gladiator
    Liked:
    Last week I traded in my 2018 4Runner trd off-road for a 2020 Gladiator sport. The 4Runner was definitely more comfortable on the inside and roomier. But i wanted another Wrangler but I needed a little more cargo room for all the stuff I have to bring when we go away so I opted for the Gladiator. I do miss my 4Runner however. I love the Gladiator.