Sponsored

Gladiator vs Toyota 4Runner Review (Car and Driver)

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator Rubicon, triumph rocket iii roadster
That was a good read. I was hoping for a bit of off road testing though.

OP
OP
LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
That was a good read. I was hoping for a bit of off road testing though.
I overland quite a bit in my JKUR. A buddy of mine has a modified 4Runner and he has never had to skip anything the Jeeps have done, including the Maze District of Utah. Articulation is definitely worse on the 4Runner. He'll have a tire in the air more often than the rest of us. But I have been very impressed with his rig, and wouldn't hesitate to buy one for overlanding if it was something I wanted. You'd definitely prefer a Jeep for serious rock crawling, but if you're rock crawling, a Gladiator is a bad choice too due to the breakover angle.

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I overland quite a bit in my JKUR. A buddy of mine has a modified 4Runner and he has never had to skip anything the Jeeps have done, including the Maze District of Utah. Articulation is definitely worse on the 4Runner. He'll have a tire in the air more often than the rest of us. But I have been very impressed with his rig, and wouldn't hesitate to buy one for overlanding if it was something I wanted. You'd definitely prefer a Jeep for serious rock crawling, but if you're rock crawling, a Gladiator is a bad choice too due to the breakover angle.
was his 4runner modded pretty heavily? Tires, lifts, bumpers, etc? I know one thing that deterred me from a 4runner was talking to some overland companies and they said it was more difficult and much more costly to mod one compared to any jeep anything.

OP
OP
LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
was his 4runner modded pretty heavily? Tires, lifts, bumpers, etc? I know one thing that deterred me from a 4runner was talking to some overland companies and they said it was more difficult and much more costly to mod one compared to any jeep anything.
Yes, it was pretty heavily modified and yes, it was expensive. Terrific result, though. One thing 4Runners really have going for them, as overlanding rigs, is a MUCH larger and more usable cargo area. It's almost laughable how compromised my JK looked next to his 4Runner.

Sponsored

AKDrifter

First Name
Judah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Well I guess I don't have to choose the wife has a '16 4Runner which we both absolutely love and I'm just waiting on my Gladiator to get built and delivered. For long drives the 4Runner is a great rig. The seats and ride quality are much better than the '16 Tacoma we traded in for it. It's hard to compare our 2 door JK to the 4Runner so the new Gladiator will be a better comparison when it arrives. When the 4Runner does die we are going to get another one. I've never liked a car so much that I decided it was going to be a permanent marquee in the garage through different generations. You're right about the interior space. Drop $600 at Costco and it will all fit.

Iabonir

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Last week I traded in my 2018 4Runner trd off-road for a 2020 Gladiator sport. The 4Runner was definitely more comfortable on the inside and roomier. But i wanted another Wrangler but I needed a little more cargo room for all the stuff I have to bring when we go away so I opted for the Gladiator. I do miss my 4Runner however. I love the Gladiator.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Well I guess I don't have to choose the wife has a '16 4Runner which we both absolutely love and I'm just waiting on my Gladiator to get built and delivered. For long drives the 4Runner is a great rig. The seats and ride quality are much better than the '16 Tacoma we traded in for it. It's hard to compare our 2 door JK to the 4Runner so the new Gladiator will be a better comparison when it arrives. When the 4Runner does die we are going to get another one. I've never liked a car so much that I decided it was going to be a permanent marquee in the garage through different generations. You're right about the interior space. Drop $600 at Costco and it will all fit.
My wife also has a 2016 4Runner, but other than for commuting (because I won't let her put that many miles on it) or 3rd row seating needs, she drives the Gladiator more than the 4Runner. Their comparison was fair. There isn't anything on the market right now that I would trade my Gladiator for.

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My wife also has a 2016 4Runner, but other than for commuting (because I won't let her put that many miles on it) or 3rd row seating needs, she drives the Gladiator more than the 4Runner. Their comparison was fair. There isn't anything on the market right now that I would trade my Gladiator for.
the thing that gets me is the new 2020 is supposed to have a bunch of upgrades like with all the safety stuff, but they evidently aren't doing blind spot monitoring. Plus the price is going up. So you are telling me its comparable to my rubi that is loaded with all the safety stuff price wise?

Sponsored

Desert Outlaw

First Name
Desert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Tomb Raider Rubicon, 2020 Rubicon Gladiator
I spent a week in Baja in February wheeling with a 4 Runner. Although it had some trouble in the rock gardens, interior space beat the JKUs.
J6Wck7V.jpg
C8Fpdtr.jpg
5opnJ0j.jpg

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
4runner is a great platform. That frame has more miles in more places on the globe than pretty much any other vehicle. I really wish Toyota would put the 8spd from the GX in it and update the engine to DI.

I think we will be lucky if the 4runner gets another update without going to a CUV type vehicle. I'd expect a Camry chassis and 3.5 for the next one, unfortunately. Although, with the Bronco on the scene maybe they'll give it a proper refresh...fingers crossed they do and DONT put that 3.6/6spd from the Taco in it.

21RG

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
4Wheeling
I had a 2018 TRD Pro, wasn't my favorite vehicle. Many say they like the space, I thought it was too big, especially for the east coast. Power was mediocre, but it worked. To put 35" tires it would take a kit that is costly. Reliability, it is great but has a few issues with the wiring loom made out of soy product and attracting mice. Read up on it, plus a few other minor issues that are easily fixed. A couple of other things that I didn't like, the interior. It felt cheap and I felt like I was in a shoe box. Awesome vehicle in many ways, but not for me. Last thing, no front locker and independent suspension.

I switched to a Power Wagon, loved that truck. But, it drank too much and it was a massive truck. Never wheeled it, but I did long trips and enjoyed being in it. I also purchased it for a tow vehicle for a boat, about 7mpg all day long... I have a 2004 Dodge dually quad cab 5.9 with manual, that will be my tow vehicle from now on.

Transitioned to a Gladiator Rubicon. I wasn't too thrilled at first. But it is growing on me. Stuck some 35" tires on it, no lift required. Snowed a few weeks ago, 26". Went up a mountain road and had a blast. The GR had no issues, but it wasn't a cake walk. I had to use lockers a couple of times, but I tend to shy from lockers in snow/ice. The rear kicked out a lot, but when it was needed... it was needed.

Power on the GR was poor compared to the 6.4 PW, but I have become accustomed. I like it with the auto tranny and manual shift capabilty. Very nice ride now. I wouldn't tow with it. It is comfortable, mid-sized, has a decent turning radius and has low center of gravity. Rear departure angle is a bit weak, but it is a truck. Break over angle is also weak, the long wheel base is the issue. But you can do a minimal lift and stick 37" and improve both.

With today's technology comes nanny controls. Personally, I can't stand them. I do a lot of roading and also teach to specific military organizations (I am retired military). The 4runner had more nanny controls and is more difficult to by-pass them. The Gladiator has a few I dislike; Park brake sense, traction control, ESS and the anti-lock brakes when off roading.

I am using a jl mini, it works, but still want to get rid of park brake sense.

As far the anti-lock brake, I was in the snow and got hung up. Applied the brake, but the tires kept rotating due to the anti-lock brake. I was high centered and every time I applied brake after using gas to work myself out, the anti-lock brake would activate and the tires would keep spinning.

Space, there is not a lot. But I am ok with that. I don't want a lot of space and I would rather have a slightly smaller vehicle for the east coast tight woods.

The bed is small, but it is a bed. I do like the SUV of the 4runner especially when traveling, but I would rather have a bed over all. The PW was huge and plenty of space.

Modifications. Much easier on the Gladiator and MOPAR actually supports the mods by offering kits. $runner, exactly.... cost a ton, but well worth the effort. Still ends being an independent front suspension.

Over all, I like the Gladiator. It has a lot of potential. It will be a while before I truly off road in it. I also have a 2006 LJ Rubicon which is my primary off road buggy.

I am glad I purchased the Gladiator, but it did take some time to grow into it.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
I had a 2018 TRD Pro, wasn't my favorite vehicle. Many say they like the space, I thought it was too big, especially for the east coast. Power was mediocre, but it worked. To put 35" tires it would take a kit that is costly. Reliability, it is great but has a few issues with the wiring loom made out of soy product and attracting mice. Read up on it, plus a few other minor issues that are easily fixed. A couple of other things that I didn't like, the interior. It felt cheap and I felt like I was in a shoe box. Awesome vehicle in many ways, but not for me. Last thing, no front locker and independent suspension.

I switched to a Power Wagon, loved that truck. But, it drank too much and it was a massive truck. Never wheeled it, but I did long trips and enjoyed being in it. I also purchased it for a tow vehicle for a boat, about 7mpg all day long... I have a 2004 Dodge dually quad cab 5.9 with manual, that will be my tow vehicle from now on.

Transitioned to a Gladiator Rubicon. I wasn't too thrilled at first. But it is growing on me. Stuck some 35" tires on it, no lift required. Snowed a few weeks ago, 26". Went up a mountain road and had a blast. The GR had no issues, but it wasn't a cake walk. I had to use lockers a couple of times, but I tend to shy from lockers in snow/ice. The rear kicked out a lot, but when it was needed... it was needed.

Power on the GR was poor compared to the 6.4 PW, but I have become accustomed. I like it with the auto tranny and manual shift capabilty. Very nice ride now. I wouldn't tow with it. It is comfortable, mid-sized, has a decent turning radius and has low center of gravity. Rear departure angle is a bit weak, but it is a truck. Break over angle is also weak, the long wheel base is the issue. But you can do a minimal lift and stick 37" and improve both.

With today's technology comes nanny controls. Personally, I can't stand them. I do a lot of roading and also teach to specific military organizations (I am retired military). The 4runner had more nanny controls and is more difficult to by-pass them. The Gladiator has a few I dislike; Park brake sense, traction control, ESS and the anti-lock brakes when off roading.

I am using a jl mini, it works, but still want to get rid of park brake sense.

As far the anti-lock brake, I was in the snow and got hung up. Applied the brake, but the tires kept rotating due to the anti-lock brake. I was high centered and every time I applied brake after using gas to work myself out, the anti-lock brake would activate and the tires would keep spinning.

Space, there is not a lot. But I am ok with that. I don't want a lot of space and I would rather have a slightly smaller vehicle for the east coast tight woods.

The bed is small, but it is a bed. I do like the SUV of the 4runner especially when traveling, but I would rather have a bed over all. The PW was huge and plenty of space.

Modifications. Much easier on the Gladiator and MOPAR actually supports the mods by offering kits. $runner, exactly.... cost a ton, but well worth the effort. Still ends being an independent front suspension.

Over all, I like the Gladiator. It has a lot of potential. It will be a while before I truly off road in it. I also have a 2006 LJ Rubicon which is my primary off road buggy.

I am glad I purchased the Gladiator, but it did take some time to grow into it.
I bet a 4runner lifted 2-3" on 33's has as almost as much clearance to the chassis as a JLU with a 2" lift and 35"s. Jeep bellies hang low, and the geometry of the prado chassis is pretty darn good. IFS is fine for the vast majority of the globe. The FJ Cruiser was great from a size standpoint. That said, I have no idea how a 4runner and gladiator end up in a comparison test with one another. makes zero sense to me.

imo you should have just imported an old 76 or 79 series land cruiser. It's about the only thing that sounds like it meets all of your requirements.

21RG

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
4Wheeling
I bet a 4runner lifted 2-3" on 33's has as almost as much clearance to the chassis as a JLU with a 2" lift and 35"s. Jeep bellies hang low, and the geometry of the prado chassis is pretty darn good. IFS is fine for the vast majority of the globe. The FJ Cruiser was great from a size standpoint. That said, I have no idea how a 4runner and gladiator end up in a comparison test with one another. makes zero sense to me.

imo you should have just imported an old 76 or 79 series land cruiser. It's about the only thing that sounds like it meets all of your requirements.

Land Cruisers are heavy, built like a tank. I had two 80 series. The prado's are nice, but importing them with a LH steering is expensive and it usually has high milage.

$runner has a low belly as well, compared to others. So no, it is not as high as a JLU with 2" lift and 35". The thing is, you have to lift just to put 33" and the stock jeep you can stick 35".

As far as IFS, they are ok. But I prefer a solid front axle. Not a lot of manufacturers have solid front axles anymore, mostly 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. Mostly because of ride/comfort. It is a weak point and needs a ton of upgrades and it will never be as strong as a solid front and will never have the articulation of a solid front. It will take a lot of expensive modifications at a high cost.

I am not knocking Toyota. I am a huge fan of them and used them a lot in the past. Jeep has come a long way in the last few years as far as reliability and comfort. Best thing is, it is nice now. Kind of a knock on Jeep because they are known for their ruggedness and capability. Toyota is the same way. To much comfort and they go rid of the solid front axle and only offer a locker in the rear. They offer no deep low range transfer case- Jeep does.

If Toyota wanted to make a difference, they should bring their diesel version. They would crush the Jeep diesel.

So far what I know have has grown on me. I like it. I didn't really care for the $runner. That's just me. Jeep has improved their reliability, it makes a difference.
Sponsored