Gladiator VS TRX

Clv22p

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Ive had my Mojave for 19 months now and I am absolutely in love with it. It is my favorite vehicle I have ever owned by far. But I find myself constantly looking at the TRX. I have wanted a SRT powered vehicle for years, but I have to have a truck for work.

Ive found a few deals on ordering a 2022 for under invoice pricing. I bought the Mojave at a very good price and I have had a carvana and vroom offers for about $5000 more than I paid for the Gladiator. I've driven it 22,000 miles.

I do work in the city and have to get into some tight spots from time to time, the Gladiator is great at that. I imagine the TRX is going to suck trying to park vs the Gladiator. The fuel mileage and premium fuel is going to be a hit for sure. More cabin space inside the TRX will be nice with 2 young kids.

Any other pros and cons?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Clv22p

Clv22p

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Nothing about the TRX makes sense but that’s what makes it so badass. I saw one in person the other day. Wow.
That’s probably my problem. I’m trying to make it make sense. Lol

MDPensFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator JTO, 2017 Grand Cherokee
That’s probably my problem. I’m trying to make it make sense. Lol
If you're thinking about it and rationalizing it, you're on the way to doing it.. lol

I pondered and priced out a TRX before I snapped out of it. 50k for a Gladiator weekend toy? Sure. 80+k is inviting the wrath of the wife. That said, they are incredibly badass and that interior looks very nice for a truck.

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
I believe someone here already did this.

The SRT/TRX/Raptors/Hellcats/etc. trims aren't about logical thinking. So there's no real reason to try and compare pros and cons.

Is it worth it to you to have a smile on your face when you smash the loud pedal? Do you get a thrill from a pucker?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Clv22p

Clv22p

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
If you're thinking about it and rationalizing it, you're on the way to doing it.. lol

I pondered and priced out a TRX before I snapped out of it. 50k for a Gladiator weekend toy? Sure. 80+k is inviting the wrath of the wife. That said, they are incredibly badass and that interior looks very nice for a truck.
I actually want no options, so the truck I’m pricing is in the mid $60s. The truck is equipped well enough for me with no options. I just need 702 horsepower and awd. Lol

cdyoung9799

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator
I actually want no options, so the truck I’m pricing is in the mid $60s. The truck is equipped well enough for me with no options. I just need 702 horsepower and awd. Lol
I bought a new 2012 SRT Grand Cherokee off the showroom floor years ago. As sweet as that was with AWD, I would still take my JTR. I got tired of every jackass in a sports car trying to race me. I'm too old for that now LOL. The Gladiator is way more functional for my needs, but I don't need/want a full size truck anymore. That being said, that TRX is a sweet BIG ride. I can't imagine that kind of power. Good luck with that decision.

OP
OP
Clv22p

Clv22p

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
I bought a new 2012 SRT Grand Cherokee off the showroom floor years ago. As sweet as that was with AWD, I would still take my JTR. I got tired of every jackass in a sports car trying to race me. I'm too old for that now LOL. The Gladiator is way more functional for my needs, but I don't need/want a full size truck anymore. That being said, that TRX is a sweet BIG ride. I can't imagine that kind of power. Good luck with that decision.
I’d probably be the jackass trying to race everyone! ;)

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
Honestly sounds like you kind of have to do it. You're already rationalizing it, so if you're good with a full size truck then i'd say go for it.

Coming from many years of driving a full size to a gladiator, I cant go back yet. I loved my full size ram, it rode like a cadillac, has an interior to make the luxury brands jealous, towed and hauled like nothing, and the hemi was just so much fun to drive. That said, after taking the gladiator out to the trails and seeing all the full sizes flounder as they scrape everywhere and skip the most fun stuff because they're too big/wide, I gladly give up the bigger interior and better on road manners.

Sponsored

staying_tuned

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: TJx2, JKx1, JKUx1
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Architect
Drove the Powerboost F150, easy 0-60 in low 4s with zero tuning on the 3.5 TT 6 that accompanies the electric motor. Stage 5 is already on the tune for it, high 3s to be had for sure given they can pull close to that with a bolt-on 3.5. The new tundra’s TT 6 pot hybrid sounds to be even more stout.

I mention this because once the lightning drops, the gap between logical and illogical will start to tread into mistake territory when you’re getting 9mpg average while 30k less expensive trucks are hard to beat from a roll/dig/towing standpoint and hey, no gas.

Throw a blower on the Coyote f150 and it too is capable of TRX numbers on the stock block for years and years, oh and ready for corn out of the box.

The TRX has great road presence. The first one I saw I assumed it was a lifted warlock until it was closer. Beast of a machine.

OP
OP
Clv22p

Clv22p

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Honestly sounds like you kind of have to do it. You're already rationalizing it, so if you're good with a full size truck then i'd say go for it.

Coming from many years of driving a full size to a gladiator, I cant go back yet. I loved my full size ram, it rode like a cadillac, has an interior to make the luxury brands jealous, towed and hauled like nothing, and the hemi was just so much fun to drive. That said, after taking the gladiator out to the trails and seeing all the full sizes flounder as they scrape everywhere and skip the most fun stuff because they're too big/wide, I gladly give up the bigger interior and better on road manners.
I was recently on a trail that the TRX would have struggled at best with at worst been very scratched up. If I’m being honest the TRX would probably be more of a pavement princess. :facepalm: I’d be way more worried about It that I am the Gladiator.

OP
OP
Clv22p

Clv22p

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Drove the Powerboost F150, easy 0-60 in low 4s with zero tuning on the 3.5 TT 6 that accompanies the electric motor. Stage 5 is already on the tune for it, high 3s to be had for sure given they can pull close to that with a bolt-on 3.5. The new tundra’s TT 6 pot hybrid sounds to be even more stout.

I mention this because once the lightning drops, the gap between logical and illogical will start to tread into mistake territory when you’re getting 9mpg average while 30k less expensive trucks are hard to beat from a roll/dig/towing standpoint and hey, no gas.

Throw a blower on the Coyote f150 and it too is capable of TRX numbers on the stock block for years and years, oh and ready for corn out of the box.

The TRX has great road presence. The first one I saw I assumed it was a lifted warlock until it was closer. Beast of a machine.
I actually was looking at the powerboost earlier today. I just don’t think I could switch to back into a boring full size. You are right the power that vehicles are about to have with the upcoming hybrid and electric power trains is going to leave the ICE in the dust.

I haven’t had the doors or top off in a month or more. Maybe that’s what I need to get the TRX out of my head!

iammacey

First Name
Macey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT4, Fiesta ST, Gladiator LE
I like the smaller greenhouse of the Gladiator, so I consider that a pro of the smaller truck. I like that the roof comes off. Even popping the freedom panels is easy enough. Nevermind the doors. Plus, as you say, getting it around in tight spaces is easier than a full size.

I shopped Raptors before getting the Gladiator 2 years ago and I understand the allure of the power and exhaust note of the TRX.

Why do you love the Gladiator so much? Why is it your favorite vehicle? And does the TRX give you the same things or something different to feel in the gaps?

The upside is, no loss on the Gladiator. So if you can get the TRX, go for it. You won't really know until you do. And if it ticks the right boxes, now is the time.

OP
OP
Clv22p

Clv22p

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
I actually was looking at the powerboost earlier today. I just don’t think I could switch to back into a boring full size.
Why do you love the Gladiator so much? Why is it your favorite vehicle? And does the TRX give you the same things or something different to feel in the gaps?

I love the appearance. I love how functional everything is. It does great off-road. It’s phenomenal in the snow when we head up to the mountains. The suspension on the Mojave is fantastic for daily driving.
Sponsored