Sponsored

Gladiator vs Wrangler..which holds value better?

xcantuaj

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Supra, future Gladiator
Occupation
Systems Engineer
It seems the Wrangler is holding its value better. Why is this?
Sponsored

JAVIERGONZO

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Navy
Pretty simple. More people buy them. So the demand for a wrangler is higher. Meaning they can be priced higher because the demand is there.

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
The Wrangler also costs less initially, contributing to the issue.

Kevin

foxman350

First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Is there really a way to judge at this point? I see used gladiators selling for 10k more than what I paid for mine here in Alaska. With current market prices I think itā€™s really hard to tell. Give it a few more years and we will have a better grasp

dfwxjer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 dr JKRX, Navigator L, 63 Impala SS, Lexus CT200h
because the Wrangler is iconic and universally loved for decades. The JT is new niche model with somewhat polarizing looks and features.

They don't really cost less either. The MSRP is really close and typically dealerships are more willing to haggle on a Gladiator while the Wrangler models are set.

Sponsored

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff

DirkG

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
Is there really a way to judge at this point? I see used gladiators selling for 10k more than what I paid for mine here in Alaska. With current market prices I think itā€™s really hard to tell. Give it a few more years and we will have a better grasp
This is my thinking as well. I honestly think that both will continue to have higher resale simply because they retain the classic Jeep "look" and will probably do so for many years.

It's terribly hard to judge resale right now as I was picking up my JT yesterday in Tustin, CA and every car on the lot (except one) had a $5000 markup. Even a Compass. The "one" was a TRX and it had a $30K markup. The $95K stickered TRX was sitting in the showroom for an adjusted $125K šŸ˜³

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link

Pescatoral Pursuit

Banned
Banned
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜06 F-150, ā€˜15 CTS, ā€˜21 JT Urban Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Plumba
The banks don't always get it right but they're usually the most important.

Look up the lease residual values (RVs: the percentage of MSRP,) for the respective vehicles and the one with the higher number hold its value longer. They can typically be tracked from 24 to 48 months for the current model year.

Sarge502

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Vehicle Showcase
Some people just want the iconic Wrangler even if it's simply for the fact of wanting a "Jeep". Not everyone needs or wants a truck. Wranglers obviously been around a lot longer, Plus cost I'm sure plays a part.

Sponsored

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
The Wrangler is a known quantity. Gladiator is the new kid on the market and not the bread and butter "Jeep."

Trucks usually have a massive drop in prices in a normal market. Which, as many of us know, we're not in.

dfwxjer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
MSRP* starting at $34,385

Wrangler
MSRP* starting at $29,070

From the Jeep Build & Price page.
Looks like an 18% premium for the Gladiator.

Kevin
Compare the 4 door JLU to the JT for a proper comparison. A base 4 door JL Sport is $32,570 and good luck finding one.

Not to mention you won't find even a base model 2 door Wrangler for less than $33k. Check any search engine across the country.

The JT has very good resale value, but the Wrangler is the bread and butter vehicle for Jeep.

dfwxjer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Wrangler is a known quantity. Gladiator is the new kid on the market and not the bread and butter "Jeep."

Trucks usually have a massive drop in prices in a normal market. Which, as many of us know, we're not in.

Seems most have forgotten early 2020 when Gladiators weren't moving at all, and could be found in the 20's.

steveorama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland
It's way too early to truly answer this question just yet. The Wrangler has decades for historical pricing and the new Gladiator only has a couple years under it's belt. Add that with the over inflated used car market currently and there just isn't enough there for what the Gladiator resale market will look like for holding value comparatively.

Trickster

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT HA, 22 Volvo V60 CC, 76 Fiat 124,
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
Seems most have forgotten early 2020 when Gladiators weren't moving at all, and could be found in the 20's.
Pre Covid.
Supply issues now have created an unusual scenario which is very hard to compare with past years. I say, ā€œGet em while there hot before thereā€™s none on the lot!ā€
Sponsored