Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fiat 124 Spider, 2023 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Doubt Anchorage is a representative market, though.

There’s a general shortage of new and used JLs and JTs at the moment. My dealer here in WA has only 3 new JLs; they all have a $5,000 markup.

Summitsearcher

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Stingrey JTR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Now is also a terrible time to trade if your desperate. A friend had a Sport in AZ with under 10K miles, $3600 in mods, wheels and lift. Dealer wanted to trade for 32K on a new Rubicon. I bet they’d mark that up by 10K. My buddy figured he would add 20K in debt to upgrade from trade value. I suppose used dealers getting top dollar for used Glad’s with mods.

OP
OP

foxman350

First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon

There’s a general shortage of new and used JLs and JTs at the moment. My dealer here in WA has only 3 new JLs; they all have a $5,000 markup.
Can go today and buy a brand new 2020 for around 50k

ClunkyJeep

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Now is also a terrible time to trade if your desperate. A friend had a Sport in AZ with under 10K miles, $3600 in mods, wheels and lift. Dealer wanted to trade for 32K on a new Rubicon. I bet they’d mark that up by 10K. My buddy figured he would add 20K in debt to upgrade from trade value. I suppose used dealers getting top dollar for used Glad’s with mods.
Mods are generally worthless on trade.

Sponsored

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Mods are generally worthless on trade.
meh, i think thats anecdotal...though so is my experience. Ive traded two jeeps in and both had lifts. The dealer said both times they love the lift and offered me a bit more than the blue book value I had wanted.

I even tested my theory by having a friend who was trading his wrangler in go get it “looked at” w/o a lift. Dealer offered him a good price, but not great. We got a $150 daystar spacer lift kit and threw it on. Went back to the same dealer and got $3,000 more added to the offer by the same manager. (We waited two weeks between evaluations hoping he’d forget he already saw the jeep once)

so i think it comes down to the shop and the desired return on investment. In my example the return in investment was huge!

ClunkyJeep

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Worthless might have been a bit strong but when someone spends 1,000 on a bumper and 5 years later that bumper can be bought new for half the cost or used for 250 and they still argue it should be worth 1,000 more, they don’t understand the general market. Vehicles come with tires and rims already. The fact that someone is trading in rims and tires they added doesn’t mean much unless they are brand new. And then they have to have a broad appeal or they may actually bring the value lower. In general when a dealer is selling you something they act like it’s gold. When they are buying something they act like it is just another vehicle. Best of luck selling them your gold.

Szy_szka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango

Again, maybe where you are but not when you take into account the entire country. I've been looking both used and new (both 2021 and left over 2020) JTs here in the East Coast and there are plenty. One dealer (DC region) is showing 15 (!) new MY2020 units with discounts anywhere from 4 - 6k (granted, all with MSRP with mid to high 50k) and has not sold a single one for at least a month. Granted, some used MY2020 do approach prices for new MY2021 (after subtracting the current incentives), which is certainly bizarre...

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fiat 124 Spider, 2023 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Dealers won't give squat for mods. They may say they love your mods and are giving a lot of money for them, but they are not really paying for them.

But then, they turn around and try to get money for them when they put the Jeep on the lot.

fun2drum

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe mods are kind of like swimming pools. A swimming pool can hurt or help the sale of a house depending on if somebody wants a swimming pool or doesn’t.

I think it depends on the mod and the person looking at it. I had a dealer show me a used wrangler once that had mods on it I thought were ugly as sin. I wouldn’t have taken that jeep if he had given it to me at a steep discount. Somebody else might’ve paid top dollar for it because they love them.

Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
My Dealership offered me $39,000 for mine at my last oil change with 18,000 miles on it, that was buying straight out. I only paid $37,000 for it out the door. I'm probably all in with bumpers lift and tires at $40,500. 13 months of ownership and 18,000 miles. I declined because I'm not in the market for anything right now. The next thing I get rid of will be a BMW or Mustang for a Porsche. Mines also a base sport no power windows or power locks.

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
With used vehicle prices still sky high, I wouldn't base much on what a stealership offers you. Fun fact- they make more on used cars than new one. If you're looking to trade up, make sure you give one of the big used chains a chance to make an offer on your current vehicle. They often pay far more than the dealer would.
As to supply shortages, the sales mgr at one local shop says he's getting new orders in about 4 weeks- granted, we're only an hour from the plant, but it indicates only a minimal backlog.

ALVagabond

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR "Praetorian"
People tend to overvalue their mods because they're personally/emotionally invested in them.

When buying used, I avoid Jeeps with mods if I can because I don't know who put them on, whether they put something used on, had "their buddy custom fabricate" something, etc. and so forth.

jfhull71

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, Gator Sport S
Occupation
Millwright
People tend to overvalue their mods because they're personally/emotionally invested in them.

When buying used, I avoid Jeeps with mods if I can because I don't know who put them on, whether they put something used on, had "their buddy custom fabricate" something, etc. and so forth.
Agreed, a factory canvas is a better starting place if buying used

Sky Soldier

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon current, sold: 2017 JKU Rubicon Recon, 2007 JKU Sahara, 1995 2dr Sport, 1979 CJ7 AMC 304
Occupation
Retired