Glass replacement - Mopar vs HGP

jbehrn

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
On a recent trip my windshield was unfortunately hit by two rocks that cracked it. I’m looking at both the Mopar Gorilla glass and the HGP Gorilla glass. I’m leaning towards Mopar with the thought that warranted repairs would be easier at any Jeep dealer. However, the price of the HGP glass is considerably cheaper. I don’t see any particular differences in the products either so I’m not sure if one is ‘better’ than the other. Does anyone have any real world experience that they can share (customer service, etc)?
Sponsored

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
The glass company I used to install my Hyperformance windshield wasn't super impressed with the goop around the edges. He obviously could see things I couldn't but he made it work perfectly. Done in November '20 with two large divots in factory glass after 5 months. Here we are in July with another ~12K miles and zero damage to the windshield. I'm well satisfied.

On a recent trip my windshield was unfortunately hit by two rocks that cracked it. I’m looking at both the Mopar Gorilla glass and the HGP Gorilla glass. I’m leaning towards Mopar with the thought that warranted repairs would be easier at any Jeep dealer. However, the price of the HGP glass is considerably cheaper. I don’t see any particular differences in the products either so I’m not sure if one is ‘better’ than the other. Does anyone have any real world experience that they can share (customer service, etc)?

Clv22p

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Mopar gorilla glass here. It hasn’t broken like the first 3 oem ones. It’s had a couple of strikes, but no issues. Plus you get a gorilla and Jeep logo! lol

OP
OP
jbehrn

jbehrn

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mopar gorilla glass here. It hasn’t broken like the first 3 oem ones. It’s had a couple of strikes, but no issues. Plus you get a gorilla and Jeep logo! lol
Does the warranty cover the cost of installation in case the window breaks?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
No because it's almost always traced back to a teeny rock chip.
Only if there are no chips would it be covered as a "defect".
And believe me, these guys take an industrial cleaner to that glass and a flashlight and look for anything that might even resemble a rock chip. They found mine - but you had to squint to see it.

Sponsored

Clv22p

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Not sure. I have a $0 deductible so insurance takes care of it each time. I just got tired of dealing with glass replacement so I got them to pay for gorilla glass.

OP
OP
jbehrn

jbehrn

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Mopar warranty wording is suspect. They clearly state they will cover labor. However, I’m curious to know how they would repair it? Would they try and repair it like Safelite?

“Mopar Windshield Made with Corning Gorilla Glass has a 2-year limited (from date of install), unlimited-mile warranty, which provides for labor and parts needed to repair or replace your windshield under certain conditions.
Mopar warrants your windshield from damage associated with road debris such as pebbles or other small objects which may cause initial damage larger than a US quarter (1 inch/25mm) and less than 3 inches/7.6 cm. Larger instances or smaller blemishes, along with the subsequent cracking that may be caused by not repairing them, are not covered by this warranty.”

OP
OP
jbehrn

jbehrn

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Called my local dealer and was quoted a $735 price for the Mopar Gorilla glass with an install price of $175. There is a 10 day lead time on the Mopar window.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Called my local dealer and was quoted a $735 price for the Mopar Gorilla glass with an install price of $175. There is a 10 day lead time on the Mopar window.
That's no more than my stock windshield cost me last year. Geesh, if I could get it and installed for that price why would I choose "normal glass"?

OP
OP
jbehrn

jbehrn

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's no more than my stock windshield cost me last year. Geesh, if I could get it and installed for that price why would I choose "normal glass"?
My thoughts exactly! The dealer quoted me $575 for the standard glass. Why not the spend the extra ~$150?

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
My thoughts exactly! The dealer quoted me $575 for the standard glass. Why not the spend the extra ~$150?
Every time glass is replaced there's risk to something...... I'd happily pay the extra and if my wife found out I cheaped out I'd never hear the end of it.

OP
OP
jbehrn

jbehrn

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TL;DR - Local Jeep dealer service is so bad they talked me out of using the Mopar product. Will be buying HGP.

Well, I tried to setup time with my dealer to get the Mopar glass purchased and installed. However, it quickly devolved into crappy dealership communication/service personnel issues.

The service advisor went on a tangent about them not installing windshields and then told me the original price wasn’t correct and gave me an increased price on the glass at $800. She wouldn’t listen to me about my prior call and wanted to know who I had spoken too so that she could correct them. I finally let her know that I only wanted the Mopar glass to make my life easier in case I had a warranty issue and that I was no longer interested in using them for the windshield. She then informed me that the warranty info from Mopar’s website couldn’t be counted on and that I should call Jeep to get the exact details - but my logic that a Jeep dealer should be able to provide that to a customer didn’t seem to fly with her….

I called HGP and spoke with sales to get some answers on their product and was satisfied with their warranty and glass. They didn’t recommend SafeLite for the install (didn’t give a reason beyond that they’ve had issues).

After that conversation my dealer called me back to clarify that all of the sudden they do windshield installs…. You can’t make this stuff up!

I’ll be purchasing the HGP glass.

Does anyone know why HGP doesn’t recommend SafeLite? I’ve never had an issue with SafeLite in the past.

Last edited:

Mouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Next windshield will be HGP if they have one for adaptive cruise by then. At the rate I've been going through windshields though, I don't know that they will be ready (on 3rd one in 13 months)

OP
OP
jbehrn

jbehrn

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Next windshield will be HGP if they have one for adaptive cruise by then. At the rate I've been going through windshields though, I don't know that they will be ready (on 3rd one in 13 months)
Sales guy at HGP told me yesterday that it was going through design process. They are working on it.

Jackpaul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Just had the Mopar Gorilla Glass installed on my 21 Rubicon ($795), sadly it was scratched in three places when I went to pick it up. They are replacing as soon as they can locate another one. On the upside though, very very clear windshield.!
Sponsored