Glass Shards Everywhere & Scratched Up Hardtop From Back Glass Replacement

JRegister

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S w/Max Tow
So the back window of my hardtop was leaking, and the dealership got approval from FCA to replace the back window under warranty.

Today was the big day, and the dealership had a glass company replace my back window.

After getting my Jeep back this afternoon, the first thing I noticed was that there were glass shards everywhere on the back seat, and back area near the window.
I folded one of the seats down, and I ended up cutting myself from a small glass shard that I couldnā€™t see.

Hereā€™s a few pic of one of the big glass chunks:

Jeep Gladiator Glass Shards Everywhere & Scratched Up Hardtop From Back Glass Replacement glass1

Also, after looking at the outside of my back window I noticed a gouge near the window, and it looks like they scratched it up and tried to cover it up with black paint:

Jeep Gladiator Glass Shards Everywhere & Scratched Up Hardtop From Back Glass Replacement ht1

Jeep Gladiator Glass Shards Everywhere & Scratched Up Hardtop From Back Glass Replacement ht2

Jeep Gladiator Glass Shards Everywhere & Scratched Up Hardtop From Back Glass Replacement ht3

Now, Iā€™m for sure OCD when it comes to keeping my Jeep clean (I enjoy washing it & keeping it detailed). The hardtop finish was in perfect shape before the install today.

So anywaysā€¦

Would you guys let the scratches go and not worry about it?

Or would you take it back to the dealership and make them fix it?

Has anyone else had this issue, and if so how did the dealership handle it?

The OCD in me wants to have them fix it, but Iā€™m just so freakinā€™ tired of working with this dealership because Iā€™ve had numerous issues with them.

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

Jonathan
Sponsored

jbehrn

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I would bring it back and ask them firmly and politely to fix the damage or replace the damaged part - the price of the hard top isnā€™t cheap. It infuriates me when dealers do things like this and then donā€™t notify the customer! I always like to think if the situation were reversed and I had damaged a dealer loaner. Would they be ok with a half-assed fix?

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
I would bring it back and ask them firmly and politely to fix the damage or replace the damaged part - the price of the hard top isnā€™t cheap. It infuriates me when dealers do things like this and then donā€™t notify the customer! I always like to think if the situation were reversed and I had damaged a dealer loaner. Would they be ok with a half-assed fix?
Dealers don't do this work unless they have a body shop on site. Glass work is nearly always subcontracted out and service departments frequently don't check the work beyond yeah, there's a window there. Not making excuses for them because they should be going over the work before signing off but that's probably why OP wasn't told and why it left in such bad shape.

Sponsored

Deadeye

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
I would definitely have them fix it. That repair is asinine. Wouldnā€™t be surprised if you end up with a new hard top. By the time they remove the window and prep and repaint the gouge, not to mention whatever else they mess up, itā€™d as cheap to just get a new hard top. After itā€™s fixed, just never use them again.

Artsifrtsi

First Name
Jude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2005 Wrangler X
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Resident Pompous A-Hole
Nope, theyā€™d be eating that! My 7yo rides in the truck a lot, and if he got cut from that incompetence, thereā€™d be a new top and full interior detail, or a lot of lawyers and even more legal speak.

Gulf_coasterHTX

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Subaru Ascent, '21 Gladiator Sport S Diesel
Occupation
Petroleum Engineer
Even if you can get over it yourself you need to take it back so the dealer knows what happened (assuming they didnā€™t realize it). They might not know this subcontractor is doing shoddy work. If you can get over the scratches you might be able to negotiate something else out of the situation and come out ahead that way

4x4 rookie

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
retired
For sure have it fixed but my concern is that it still would look like a patch job. I'mn sure the glass company tried to patch it but definitely not acceptable .

FishChowder

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Cmax
This isn't the first post here about an absolutely brutal repair of a back window. It seems like glass companies just have no clue how to properly fix these.

I am with everyone else. Take it to the dealer and have them make it right. If replacing everything is what makes it right then that is what they have to do, whether the initial job was contracted out or not.

Sponsored

Jay Gatsby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red JT
This is a NO BRAINER! If you've had numerous issues with this dealership in the past, why the heck do you go back???

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
All Jeep dealers are like this, over booked and incompetent, you have to wait weeks to get an appointment then if they actually do the work on the day it is scheduled they do this type of work.

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
I agree with others. Get it fixed right. If this was not the fought of the dealer they need to know that there glass guy is dropping the ball and that who ever inspected it did also. I would not loose my cool over it until the dealer gave me farts about fixing it right.

I also agree a new top may be the cheapest rout for them to make it right. Don't let them give you no farts about it. There is plenty of profit in these Jeeps for them to live on. Good luck my friend:like:

mike921921

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Altitude
Occupation
Retired
Amateur hour for sure - make em' fix it to your satisfaction. I guess you need to do a video walk around these days before leaving a vehicle for repair šŸ˜•
Sponsored