Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
Curious if anyone has mounted their remote units either under the seat or center console. I am going with the GMRS and CB units that have the remote mounted main unit and displays all info/options selection on the mic since Jeeps are at a premium for space. If so it would be great to see any pics or anything you would have done differently

thank you
Sponsored

Radio Guy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Retired Broadcast Engineer
I have two amateur radios under the rear seats, not mounted and just sitting in there. One is a Yaesu FTM400DR and the other is an Icom 706MKIIG. The control heads are on a RAM swivel mount sticking out the front of the center console. I ran 4ga wire from the battery down into the frame then out under the rear seats where there are some plastic grommet things you can pass the wire through including antenna cables.

sarguy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Put my GMRS, CB and Public Safety radios on back wall. Didn't want to flood them on the floor.

OP
OP
chorky

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
Put my GMRS, CB and Public Safety radios on back wall. Didn't want to flood them on the floor.
good idea. Although Im not sure the cable will stretch that far. Did you use some sort of extension for handset?

Sponsored

Josh00333

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Freedom
Build Thread
Link
Mine is tucked up under the dash next to the glove box.

Jay Gatsby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red JT
Mounted my Icom ID-5100A under the passenger front seat. The head unit is mounted to Vector Off-Road E-Dock using Ram mounts. I used metal ties to secure the main unit mounting bracket to the bottom of the seat above the seat adjuster lever. Fed cables under carpet to firewall. Ran an extension to the mic cable under center console over to the driver seat. Everything is tucked away. Very happy with result. It's off the floor which was my goal in case things get wet! Sorry for non-detailed pics... hard to get good angle.

20200411_064107.jpg

20200411_064056.jpg

20200411_064047.jpg

20200411_063850.jpg

OP
OP
chorky

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
did you put them on the drivers side back wall? Would be curious if theres any concerns with proximity to the factory sub. I really like this idea though. how did you attach them to the back wall?

Mounted my Icom ID-5100A under the passenger front seat. The head unit is mounted to Vector Off-Road E-Dock using Ram mounts. I used metal ties to secure the main unit mounting bracket to the bottom of the seat above the seat adjuster lever. Fed cables under carpet to firewall. Ran an extension to the mic cable under center console over to the driver seat. Everything is tucked away. Very happy with result. It's off the floor which was my goal in case things get wet! Sorry for non-detailed pics... hard to get good angle.

Jeep Gladiator GMRS and CB units mounted under seat or center console 20200411_063850

Jeep Gladiator GMRS and CB units mounted under seat or center console 20200411_063850

nice. It looks like theres room for just one. Maybe the other could go under the drivers seat?

Brojave22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
ATC
I have two amateur radios under the rear seats, not mounted and just sitting in there. One is a Yaesu FTM400DR and the other is an Icom 706MKIIG. The control heads are on a RAM swivel mount sticking out the front of the center console. I ran 4ga wire from the battery down into the frame then out under the rear seats where there are some plastic grommet things you can pass the wire through including antenna cables.
how did you mount the antenna?

Sponsored

sass JT

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
MWD
I have a midland mxt275 for gmrs and a uniden cmx760 for cb. I interchange which units mic to the dash when I’m using one. Both are hideaway units that I got in the dash behind the glove box on the passenger side. All my controls are on the mic’s.

good luck sir.

BBB77C49-BE85-4906-A590-19AD21434832.jpeg

Radio Guy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Retired Broadcast Engineer
I have lots of other posts in ham radio threads here about antennas. The best performing and probably the easiest place I've found for VHF/UHF and CB antennas is an NMO trunk lip mount on the hood near the hood hinges. If you use the drivers side the cable drops down to an existing grommet that puts the cable into the cab very easy. This is a better spot compared to a bracket sticking out the side of the hood which puts the antenna about 6" below the hood. It also uses the hood as a ground plane which helps with distance and matching the antenna.

Here are a couple of pictures of antennas on my hood mounts and I have one on each side plus more in the back of the truck. Lots of companies make the mount with Laird, Larsen being premium brands and Tram/Browning being ok but less $$. You can sometimes find the better brands on eBay surplus for less than the cheaper brands.

Jeep Gladiator GMRS and CB units mounted under seat or center console Hood Ant.JPG
Jeep Gladiator GMRS and CB units mounted under seat or center console 1.JPG
Jeep Gladiator GMRS and CB units mounted under seat or center console 2.JPG

QUOTE="Brojave22, post: 945157, member: 49011"]
how did you mount the antenna?
[/QUOTE]

OP
OP
chorky

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
Temporarily threw my GMRS into the center console today. It seems like it might be a good mounting location.

Nobody else seems to have done so?

Curious if it might get too hot in there though. It would be nice mounting under dash but not sure if there's a good spot for both the GMRS and CB unit to be in the same area.