First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Sport S; 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E
Occupation
Retired
So, I've been told to look for a decent, low-cost GMRS radio for our Jeeps. In wandering around the internet I found a Midland GTX1000 bundle that includes a Midland MicroMobile radio and 2 of their GTX1000 handheld walkie talkies. The Amazon price for this package is $150, which fits our budget quite well! The reviews seem to be decent - the biggest complaint seems to be that the range seems to be limited.

Does anybody here have this setup and are you happy with it? Should I keep looking for something better? Is there anything better in the $150 price range?

Thanks!
Sponsored

jtimbrook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon, 1946 CJ2A
Build Thread
Link
If you go to the Midland site it will show you distance range bands and how terrain affects those numbers. I'd question the environment the user was in before saying otherwise. I did jump on their Black Friday sale and picked up a new GMRS radio as I've used Midlands before and have been quite happy with their products.

Jay Gatsby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red JT
I would steer away from handhelds unless someone is specifically requesting them. The range is horrible inside the Jeep. The Midland MXT275 or MXT400 are great radios and very popular. They come with an external mounted antenna. You have to get the antenna outside the Jeep. It isn't it in your budget, but add a 6db gain antenna, you can't go wrong for wheeling communications. Just my .02.

Murgatroid

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
RN
Vehicle Showcase
So, I've been told to look for a decent, low-cost GMRS radio for our Jeeps. In wandering around the internet I found a Midland GTX1000 bundle that includes a Midland MicroMobile radio and 2 of their GTX1000 handheld walkie talkies. The Amazon price for this package is $150, which fits our budget quite well! The reviews seem to be decent - the biggest complaint seems to be that the range seems to be limited.

Does anybody here have this setup and are you happy with it? Should I keep looking for something better? Is there anything better in the $150 price range?

Thanks!
Noticed you have a sidecar rig. I had one in college and for a while after. Actually left the wedding in white tails on the 61 BMW R60/2 with a California sidecar rig. I had a blast with it. Used to drive down the road with the sidecar up in the air.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Alan_Hepburn

Alan_Hepburn

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Sport S; 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E
Occupation
Retired
Make sure to budget the $70 for the license also. Many people forget GMRS is licensed.
Good point! Yeah, that's already budgeted!

uplandgunner

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I've been playing with GMRS a lot lately and while I have no experience with the Midland handhelds ( I have a Midland MXT400) I talk to a lot of folks using 5 watt handhelds using the attached antenna from inside the cab and they are hitting repeaters up to 15 miles away and then some. I am looking to get 2 or 3 handhelds for spotting and for use on trail rides to lend to folks who have not yet made the jump to GMRS. Go to myGMRS.com Forums and learn some before you buy.

Also there is programming software from Midland for the MXT400 if anyone has that model. With it you can make that radio do a lot more and perform better.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I've been playing with GMRS a lot lately and while I have no experience with the Midland handhelds ( I have a Midland MXT400) I talk to a lot of folks using 5 watt handhelds using the attached antenna from inside the cab and they are hitting repeaters up to 15 miles away and then some. I am looking to get 2 or 3 handhelds for spotting and for use on trail rides to lend to folks who have not yet made the jump to GMRS. Go to myGMRS.com Forums and learn some before you buy.

Also there is programming software from Midland for the MXT400 if anyone has that model. With it you can make that radio do a lot more and perform better.
Thanks for the link, I'm still doing my research on radio stuff.
Another rabbit hole of information to research. :like: :facepalm:
Sponsored

Last edited: