Going to Arbitration for buy back

Rezurekt1981

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 Jeep J10
I’m sure this post is going to stir the pot, which is expected but I do have a legitimate claim that I am dealing with and would like to hear if anyone has been through the process and the results.

History:

Ordered custom JT Rubicon in August 2019 - Manual
Took possession October 2019
December 2019 Started having issues with noise in the transmission and clutch dropping out
February 2020 Noise became more aggressive
March 2020 Trucked was parked bc of noise, clutch recall
April 2020 Truck still parked waiting on W12 resolution
May 9th Truck went into shop for W12 recall, was picked up and had to go back into the shop for rear axle shaft replacement
(This truck is stock, not so much as a sticker was added)
Since the truck has been in the shop, several times I have been told the truck is ready for pick up. Upon picking it up, something different has gone wrong with it prior to even getting to the end of the road. Ring and Pinion in rear diff has been replaced along with the left rear axle shaft. Electronic rear locker stuck engaged and wouldn't disengage, since replacing the rear ring and pinion, the noise has subsided a lot but has not went away. Mechanics did see the issue with the bearings they took out that had what they described medium scaring.

None the less, this truck has been in the shop for about a month, has a lot of issues and now I have an arbitration date set for June 11th. My question to anyone who has been through this process is what is the likelyhood of FCA actually buying back my truck? What was offered to you in your situation and what can I negotiate?
Sponsored

zuke

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2015 JKU, 2006 TJ, 2021 Bronco BL
I’m sure this post is going to stir the pot, which is expected but I do have a legitimate claim that I am dealing with and would like to hear if anyone has been through the process and the results.

History:

December 2019 Started having issues with noise in the transmission and clutch dropping out
May 9th Truck went into shop for W12 recall, was picked up and had to go back into the shop for rear axle shaft replacement
Since the truck has been in the shop, several times I have been told the truck is ready for pick up. Upon picking it up, something different has gone wrong with it prior to even getting to the end of the road. Ring and Pinion in rear diff has been replaced along with the left rear axle shaft. Electronic rear locker stuck engaged and wouldn't disengage, since replacing the rear ring and pinion, the noise has subsided a lot but has not went away. Mechanics did see the issue with the bearings they took out that had what they described medium scaring.

None the less, this truck has been in the shop for about a month, has a lot of issues and now I have an arbitration date set for June 11th. My question to anyone who has been through this process is what is the likelyhood of FCA actually buying back my truck? What was offered to you in your situation and what can I negotiate?

My guess is that the only way they're going to buy it back is as a gesture of "Good will"... which they honestly might do.

Most lemon laws require the vehicle be in the shop a minimum of three times for the same issue, which you've had a variety of issues, and one item that was actually a recall campaign.

I never actually reached arbitration on it, but I had an 05 Ram Rumblebee that kept eating pinion bearings, on the third time in I told them I wanted an entirely new rear axle, or a new truck, figuring that if they couldn't get it to stop eating bearings then something had to be wrong with the housing, and I was ready to go to Arbitration.

Corporate admitted that most dealerships just didn't have people competent to rebuild rear axles, and they called in the 'old guy' to rebuild that axle. I ran that truck another 80,000 miles after that, and never had another issue.

Point being, since you're already going to arbitration, if they won't buy it back, try and get them to put a whole new rear axle in it...

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase

History:

I've never dealt with this. The arbiter will likely look at how many times it has been in for the same problem, and if they have been able to repair all the problems. If you can get the dealer to say they are unable to repair any of the issues it has been in for, that will be a factor in your favor. If it was parked for a significant amount of time at the dealer, try to get something for loss of use, especially if they don't rule for a buyback.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Research the law in your state. In mine, you have to wait 30 days (which you have done) with no successful repair OR three separate attempts to successfully repair the vehicle AND it all has to be within the first 12 months/12,000 miles.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
We had a issue wirh our 2011 Grand Cherokee, something killed the engine or caused it to lose power significantly when turning, once it even stalled out. It was in the shop numerous times in the first 6 months for the same issue and they never really corrected the issue and we ended up going to arbitration on it. Tried to get a buy back but it wasn't happening. We came out of it with a significant discount on another Grand Cherokee and they took the one with issues off our hands as a trade in and we had no negative going into the new Grand Cherokee. It was about the best they would do and the Discounts on the new Grand Cherokee were so good that we actually traded it in after only owning it 4 weeks and made a $1000 on the trade in so I guess maybe you could consider that a round about buy back. We ended up with a BMW in the end.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Rezurekt1981

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 Jeep J10
My guess is that the only way they're going to buy it back is as a gesture of "Good will"... which they honestly might do.

Most lemon laws require the vehicle be in the shop a minimum of three times for the same issue, which you've had a variety of issues, and one item that was actually a recall campaign.

I never actually reached arbitration on it, but I had an 05 Ram Rumblebee that kept eating pinion bearings, on the third time in I told them I wanted an entirely new rear axle, or a new truck, figuring that if they couldn't get it to stop eating bearings then something had to be wrong with the housing, and I was ready to go to Arbitration.

Corporate admitted that most dealerships just didn't have people competent to rebuild rear axles, and they called in the 'old guy' to rebuild that axle. I ran that truck another 80,000 miles after that, and never had another issue.

Point being, since you're already going to arbitration, if they won't buy it back, try and get them to put a whole new rear axle in it...

I live in NC, according to the NC lemon law, I believe its 3 different times in the shop for same issues or a certain number of days which I have met.
Research the law in your state. In mine, you have to wait 30 days (which you have done) with no successful repair OR three separate attempts to successfully repair the vehicle AND it all has to be within the first 12 months/12,000 miles.

NC Lemon Law
  • The problem occurs in some part of the vehicle that is covered by the manufacturer’s warranty and you are within the warranty period. It does not need to be something that keeps you from being able to drive the car. For example, faulty air conditioning or peeling paint could be considered defects under the Lemon Law.
  • You tell the manufacturer about the problem in writing and give them a reasonable period, but not more than 15 days, to fix it.
  • The manufacturer makes “a reasonable number of attempts” to fix the vehicle. This means that the car has been repaired for the same problem four or more times, or that it has been out of service a cumulative total of 20 or more business days during a 12 month period of the warranty.
  • The manufacturers’ efforts to fix the vehicle fail. Under the law, they must either replace your car or buy it back. You get to decide between a comparable new car and a refund.
My truck has been out of commission for more than 20days Just in the shop alone. FCA put me in a rental for 30 days bc of the W12 recall, until they came up with a solution to the fix. They reimbursed me for my rental of course and the truck didn't have to sit at the dealership, but non the less, I was still unable to drive my truck. I still don't even know if the clutch "fix" actually fixed the issues I was having because of all of the other issues. Keep in mind, this truck has 7k miles on it. New axle shaft and bearings and ring and pinions are not supposed to go bad after 7k miles.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
So it sounds like you have two issues. The clutch, and the rear end.

You aren't the first to have either of those issues. They're pretty common on manual trans. JTs and especially Rubicons.

The question I have is, did the axle shaft/differential issue not show up at all until after the clutch was repaired? That's odd, because to swap a clutch you don't even touch the axle in any way.

If it were my truck, I'd ask for a new complete rear axle assembly to be installed. The clutch recall was already performed. So that should be good to go. Sometimes they'll even throw in a free extended warranty. I'd take that deal and keep the truck, if it were I.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I live in NC, according to the NC lemon law, I believe its 3 different times in the shop for same issues or a certain number of days which I have met.

NC Lemon Law
  • The problem occurs in some part of the vehicle that is covered by the manufacturer’s warranty and you are within the warranty period. It does not need to be something that keeps you from being able to drive the car. For example, faulty air conditioning or peeling paint could be considered defects under the Lemon Law.
  • You tell the manufacturer about the problem in writing and give them a reasonable period, but not more than 15 days, to fix it.
  • The manufacturer makes “a reasonable number of attempts” to fix the vehicle. This means that the car has been repaired for the same problem four or more times, or that it has been out of service a cumulative total of 20 or more business days during a 12 month period of the warranty.
  • The manufacturers’ efforts to fix the vehicle fail. Under the law, they must either replace your car or buy it back. You get to decide between a comparable new car and a refund.
My truck has been out of commission for more than 20days Just in the shop alone. FCA put me in a rental for 30 days bc of the W12 recall, until they came up with a solution to the fix. They reimbursed me for my rental of course and the truck didn't have to sit at the dealership, but non the less, I was still unable to drive my truck. I still don't even know if the clutch "fix" actually fixed the issues I was having because of all of the other issues. Keep in mind, this truck has 7k miles on it. New axle shaft and bearings and ring and pinions are not supposed to go bad after 7k miles.
I'm in NC as well and they are going to tell you it's tough to get a buy back or even a even swap into a new vehicle. Looks like they repaired what was wrong and they compensated you for the rental. Not sure what else they would do other than offer you a trade in offer like I got.

OP
OP

Rezurekt1981

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 Jeep J10
So it sounds like you have two issues. The clutch, and the rear end.

You aren't the first to have either of those issues. They're pretty common on manual trans. JTs and especially Rubicons.

The question I have is, did the axle shaft/differential issue not show up at all until after the clutch was repaired? That's odd, because to swap a clutch you don't even touch the axle in any way.

If it were my truck, I'd ask for a new complete rear axle assembly to be installed. The clutch recall was already performed. So that should be good to go. Sometimes they'll even throw in a free extended warranty. I'd take that deal and keep the truck, if it were I.

The day I picked up the Truck from the dealership for the W12 recall is the day the grinding and whining noises started. I literally pulled out of the dealership and heard it. I thought it was from the transmission because I could feel it when I depressed the clutch and when I let my foot offf the gas. Called FCA and the rep said to drive it and if it continues, take it back in. Thats what I did, had the service director and mechanic in the truck with me and both said they didn't believe it was the transmission but the rear axle. So that started the chase down the rabbit hole.

OP
OP

Rezurekt1981

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 Jeep J10
I'm in NC as well and they are going to tell you it's tough to get a buy back or even a even swap into a new vehicle. Looks like they repaired what was wrong and they compensated you for the rental. Not sure what else they would do other than offer you a trade in offer like I got.
What offer did they give you. I talked to the dealership and they only wanted to give me 40k for trade in. Paid 52k out the door.

Sponsored

morejeepsthanicancount

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Vehicle Showcase
My mother had a similar story with a renegade trailhawk that went to arbitration 2 years after purchase. I don't know the specifics, but what they paid her was almost 95% of the purchase price she paid in cash. Long story short: Jeep had transmission issues where the car would cut off on the highway(always on roadtrips it seemed). After having them document all 6 times in a 5 month period, they bought the car back and now shes in a new cherokee.(Jeep blood runs thick in our family haha)

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
yep. And get a lawyer

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
What offer did they give you. I talked to the dealership and they only wanted to give me 40k for trade in. Paid 52k out the door.
I paid right at $38,000 out the door for the 11 Grand Cherokee limited that had the problems, 6 months later they offered me $33,500 trade in on the 11 and we bought another 11 limited but they gave us $8,000 in rebates and threw in the 60,000 mile warranty at no cost which was like $2300, so basically I was right where I was at on the one that was giving the issues but at zero miles. The one with the issues had 7700 miles on it. I felt like that was about the best we was going to do. I had not put any money down on the first one and I was already working out a deal at the BMW dealership. 4 weeks later they gave us $34,000 trade in on a 328i. I was at $32,800 out the door on the newer one we bought. I think the rebates they were offering helped out but either way I didn't lose anything on the deal and they gave us a loaner one to drive each time we had it in the shop. The lawyer I had said it was a good deal, especially since we wasn't planning on keeping the Newer one anyway and I had already been told what they would give us at the BMW dealership trade in, I just had to wait until they got a silver one in for my wife.

Sal

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Hey I just had my Jeep bought back from FCA. Mine had engine issues. Was in the shop for 45 days with engine issues. And in total at the dealer for 62 days. i hired an attorney got an offer without arbitration.
I would totally just get a lawyer and have them deal with it.

tampahoosier

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Diesel Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cybersecurity - Cyber Intelligence
Vehicle Showcase
Hey I just had my Jeep bought back from FCA. Mine had engine issues. Was in the shop for 45 days with engine issues. And in total at the dealer for 62 days. i hired an attorney got an offer without arbitration.
I would totally just get a lawyer and have them deal with it.
I imagine a lawyer would be the best path but who pays the lawyer fees? Do you mind sharing the specifics all the details of your buy back? (ie original purchase price, buy back price, lawyer fees etc).

Those details would probably help the OP make a better decision.
Sponsored