Sponsored

Going to run Peters Mill Run next Monday (location help?)

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
So I have decided that I bought the Rubicon so I better go use it. I am taking a short family vacation to VA to run Peters Mill Run Badge of Honor Trail. I see that there is also another trail close by called Bald Mountain Trail. Hopefully I will run that one also. I plan on being in the area for 2 days.

Does anyone know of some other trails in the area that are not to much for a stock JTR on 35'S to run? Im not looking for anything crazy. This is my 1st time (just the tip:LOL:)

Also anyone want to chirp in on any pointers for the new guy thanks.
Sponsored

Moose95

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Gladiator Overland; 2018 Colorado Z71
So I have decided that I bought the Rubicon so I better go use it. I am taking a short family vacation to VA to run Peters Mill Run Badge of Honor Trail. I see that there is also another trail close by called Bald Mountain Trail. Hopefully I will run that one also. I plan on being in the area for 2 days.

Does anyone know of some other trails in the area that are not to much for a stock JTR on 35'S to run? Im not looking for anything crazy. This is my 1st time (just the tip:LOL:)

Also anyone want to chirp in on any pointers for the new guy thanks.
There was a post in the "mid atlantic" forum about a bunch of folks who did the "Flagpole Knob" trail in late April, I think. Here's a link to the thread: https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/any-trails-open.30198/page-2

It's about 30 minutes south of Peter's Mill (Edinburgh, VA), near Harrisonburg. It looks like it would be fun - I'm sorry I missed out. Here's a link to the Virginia Department of Game & Inland Fisheries site about it: https://www.dgif.virginia.gov/vbwt/sites/flagpole-knob/

Good luck, and post pictures/videos!

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Flagpole is a fun little trail going up the Union Springs side with a great camping spot at Meadow Knob if Flagpole is occupied. There's one rock step that can't be avoided that you'll likely scrape frame on but other than that it's easy going.

OP
OP
Troybilt

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
Thanks for the input. So far it looks like I will be running Peters Mill, Bald Mountain and Flagpole Knob. They all seam to be within a 2 hour drive from my motel. We where going to rent an RV but they would not allow me to pick it up in my truck without trailer breaks.

They said it was illegal to rent one out over 2k pounds without the vehicle being equipped with trailer breaks. I said so I can just use my buddies truck to pick it up and then switch trucks as soon as I pull off the lot. The owner had no problem with that. She said what you do once you leave my lot is up to you. Once I thought about it for a bit I decided the risk was just not worth the reword. so a motel it is.

I was able to use a Honda generator from a friend so I will be able to air back up with my pancake compressor I have. It will fill my 35's from 18PSI to 45PSI in 1 and a half minutes. I'll be packing up some basic tool like floor jack, jack stands, BFH and other hand tools. I'll also take a few D - rings, my snatch blocks and my 150ft Samson rigging rope. It is rated at 10,400 pounds. I bet I will be over packed for such easy trails but you never know.

MrFahrenheit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FC Red Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
It will fill my 35's from 18PSI to 45PSI in 1 and a half minutes.
45 PSI!?!? Holy cow! Is that what you run all the time!? the door jam recommends 37 and most people run less than that I think:

Jeep Gladiator Going to run Peters Mill Run next Monday (location help?) 2E2EE8D0-6BE1-415B-82B0-1521676224C3

Sponsored

double J

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator rubicon
I’ve been to all of those trails and peter’s mill is the easiest. All have very limited cellular coverage. If you use google maps pre download the map. It is really helpful for flagpole. Make sure you go with another vehicle.

OP
OP
Troybilt

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
45 PSI!?!? Holy cow! Is that what you run all the time!? the door jam recommends 37 and most people run less than that I think:

Jeep Gladiator Going to run Peters Mill Run next Monday (location help?) 2E2EE8D0-6BE1-415B-82B0-1521676224C3
I am not running stock tires. The tires I am running have max of 50PSI. I like to keep it close to that as I pull a trailer and carry a load in the bed quite a bit. In my 2 door JK I ran these tires at 27PSI most of the time.

OP
OP
Troybilt

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
I’ve been to all of those trails and peter’s mill is the easiest. All have very limited cellular coverage. If you use google maps pre download the map. It is really helpful for flagpole. Make sure you go with another vehicle.
I haven't figured out the hole map thing yet but that is on my list for tomorrow. I am doing this trip with my wife lady the boy and his friend. I don't have anyone to go with in case of an emergency but I hear that the trails have q good amount of traffic on them. I hope everything works out. I'm sure it will.

double J

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator rubicon
I haven't figured out the hole map thing yet but that is on my list for tomorrow. I am doing this trip with my wife lady the boy and his friend. I don't have anyone to go with in case of an emergency but I hear that the trails have q good amount of traffic on them. I hope everything works out. I'm sure it will.
Peters mill will be easy. Bald mountain will have a lot of brush that will give you new pinstripes. It has a few mud holes. Take it easy in them. Flag pole is my favorite but has one obstacle that makes me nervous, the wall on union springs side. It has a dead tree next to it where you have a rock obstacle. If you slide you can hit tree. I ran it stock. I highly recommend going with another vehicle.

OP
OP
Troybilt

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
So I am back from my 1st ever outing into the off road world. We left Ohio on Monday morning and was at the market to purchase are day pass for Peters Mill by 3pm. For me Peter Mill Run was a perfect trail to run as a newbie. The family and I had a blast there. I let my son drive for some of the rocky parts of the trail and he loved it.

The next morning we headed off to Flag Pole Knob. I picked to start at Union Springs. I was not expecting the 1st obstacle to be so intimidating. @double J was right. I should of not done this trip without someone with a little more experience. After going down the 1st obstacle I wanted to call for a Helicopter to take me back to Ohio:LOL: .
i-bKp83bS-M.jpg

We did ok from there until we got to the obstacle that doubleJ was referring to. I drive to Virginia to do some light off roading not bash my hardtop off the side of a tree. We stacked some rocks so that I could climb down as far away from the tree as I could. It took me a little time to man up enough to climb down but It went down with no troubles. Even though this trail was a bit buffer than I was ready for we had a blast.

I bet if I would of taken the time to find someone willing to let me join up with there group I would of had a better and safer time. We where basically a clueless truckload of chicken shits. :facepalm: . Me being the biggest in the bunch.
i-DSf7MKW-M.jpg
i-BL5K7Qh-M.jpg

i-TXjR4vv-M.jpg

i-8vXVngZ-M.jpg

A link to a few very short very boring videos if you would like to see.

https://troynemitz.smugmug.com/Misc/n-W8zdH6/i-kSGhFKT/A
https://troynemitz.smugmug.com/Misc/n-W8zdH6/i-4fsRMZb/A

Thank you for your time.

Sponsored

Moose95

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Gladiator Overland; 2018 Colorado Z71
So I am back from my 1st ever outing into the off road world. We left Ohio on Monday morning and was at the market to purchase are day pass for Peters Mill by 3pm. For me Peter Mill Run was a perfect trail to run as a newbie. The family and I had a blast there. I let my son drive for some of the rocky parts of the trail and he loved it.

The next morning we headed off to Flag Pole Knob. I picked to start at Union Springs. I was not expecting the 1st obstacle to be so intimidating. @double J was right. I should of not done this trip without someone with a little more experience. After going down the 1st obstacle I wanted to call for a Helicopter to take me back to Ohio:LOL: .
We did ok from there until we got to the obstacle that doubleJ was referring to. I drive to Virginia to do some light off roading not bash my hardtop off the side of a tree. We stacked some rocks so that I could climb down as far away from the tree as I could. It took me a little time to man up enough to climb down but It went down with no troubles. Even though this trail was a bit buffer than I was ready for we had a blast.

I bet if I would of taken the time to find someone willing to let me join up with there group I would of had a better and safer time. We where basically a clueless truckload of chicken shits. :facepalm: . Me being the biggest in the bunch.

A link to a few very short very boring videos if you would like to see.

https://troynemitz.smugmug.com/Misc/n-W8zdH6/i-kSGhFKT/A
https://troynemitz.smugmug.com/Misc/n-W8zdH6/i-4fsRMZb/A

Thank you for your time.
Congratulations on surviving the trails! It looks like that was a great time, and you even made it to lovely Looo-ray. I'm hoping to get out there sometime this summer as well, at least to do Peter's Mill. Which trails were the videos from?

drkshaw

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Gobi
Occupation
Emergency Management
The Magellan TRX app appears to be a good app to find trails and off-line maps. It has all the trails around Peter's Mill.
Sponsored