Gorilla Glass pure snake oil

JamesJimmyD

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Gladiator, 95 Toyota DLX, 69 VW Beetle,
This is my 2nd gladiator 2022 sport S, 7 months old now , so when picking out my new jeep I decided to opt for the gorilla glass based on what i perceived as a 2 year warranty on chips, cracks etc etc, what a waste of $500.00...cracked windshield and claim denied from Jeep due to it being a "factory" installed glass, apparently you are not allowed to have your windshield crack unless it happens while you are not using your vehicle....this is the response from Jeep (below)

Note: per the VIP option Listings; The Gorilla Glass is "factory installed",,,,,,,,,Rejected.
Rock chips/road debris damage on a "factory installed" Gorilla Glass windshield is not a warrantable repair.

after speaking to the service advisor at the dealership i immediately called jeep cares and expressed my grievances, needless to say it was as i expected, hence why i'm spending time here sharing my personnel experience with wasting time and money on a Jeep supposed upgrade windshield that is total snake oil....

on a side note in regards to jeep cares they did offer me reimbursement if i went ahead and purchased a new windshield from the dealership, i do not see the point using my money up front in purchasing glass, then waiting who knows how long and most likely jumping through hoops to collect reimbursement for an upgrade product that was paid for when i purchased the Jeep....i've decided to turn over to insurance zero deductible and let em throw in what ever they want, glass installers will come to my house which saves me the hassle of dropping off at dealership....Jeep Gorilla Glass is NO Bueno
Sponsored

RJinPV

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Rubicon, 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired
Before I ordered my Jeep I searched the forum for Gorilla glass recommendations and found posts like yours and decided to pass on the option. So thanks for posting.

If it's any consolation to you, if you had the normal glass windshield it would be shattered too. Maybe worse. Also, Jeep sells skid plates and rock guards, etc. and they aren' t covered under warranty either if they are damaged by road hazards. Why should Gorilla glass be different? Hopefully your insurance takes care of it. I've never owned a Wrangler/Gladiator so I am going to check my policy for windshield damage coverage because that's seems to be the only thing that works for us.

GOCAMPN

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Disabled Military Retired
My insurance deductible doesn't change if I use off-brand glass, Mopar, or the GG upgrade. Might as well put it back in.

WK2JT

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTC
Vehicle Showcase
Checkout the exoshield film. I’ve used film, different brands, on my last 3 vehicles and have taken some pretty hard hits from debris. Never had a crack with the film on. It has it’s drawbacks such as scratching over time and cost, but for me I don’t mind as it’s better and easier than replacing the glass.

OP
OP
JamesJimmyD

JamesJimmyD

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Before I ordered my Jeep I searched the forum for Gorilla glass recommendations and found posts like yours and decided to pass on the option. So thanks for posting.

If it's any consolation to you, if you had the normal glass windshield it would be shattered too. Maybe worse. Also, Jeep sells skid plates and rock guards, etc. and they aren' t covered under warranty either if they are damaged by road hazards. Why should Gorilla glass be different? Hopefully your insurance takes care of it. I've never owned a Wrangler/Gladiator so I am going to check my policy for windshield damage coverage because that's seems to be the only thing that works for us.
yeah i get it in regards to things getting beat up and no warranty thats certainly expected, the issue i have, if the glass is installed at the factory where the jeep is built there is no warranty, if you purchase the windshield and installed it after you've taken delivery it would then fall under a 2 year warranty for exactly what happened to mine.....very misleading in my opinion for Jeep to offer the Gorilla glass as a "factory installed" item at 500.00 bucks a pop... if i had known the gorilla glass warranty was non existent for "Factory Installed" i would have selected standard glass and spent the 500.00 bucks on something different...

Sponsored

OP
OP
JamesJimmyD

JamesJimmyD

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My insurance deductible doesn't change if I use off-brand glass, Mopar, or the GG upgrade. Might as well put it back in.
Honestly im not exactly happy about the situation so im not willing to support Corning Gorilla Glass offered by Jeep

RJinPV

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
yeah i get it in regards to things getting beat up and no warranty thats certainly expected, the issue i have, if the glass is installed at the factory where the jeep is built there is no warranty, if you purchase the windshield and installed it after you've taken delivery it would then fall under a 2 year warranty for exactly what happened to mine.....very misleading in my opinion for Jeep to offer the Gorilla glass as a "factory installed" item at 500.00 bucks a pop... if i had known the gorilla glass warranty was non existent for "Factory Installed" i would have selected standard glass and spent the 500.00 bucks on something different...
Yup. I can definitely understand about it being very misleading.

RJinPV

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Honestly im not exactly happy about the situation so im not willing to support Corning Gorilla Glass offered by Jeep
Maybe the way to look at this is that GG does not prevent cracks it just makes them less likely. So instead of replacing the windshield every year, maybe it's every 2 years with GG. Less aggravation...

GHWillys

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
It ain't where you're from, it's where you're at
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hydro Blue Gladiator, 2019 Honda Pilot
i got my Jeep in February. Had it less than a week and a 4 inch piece of solid ice flew off the truck in front of me and hit square on my GG windshield. No damage other than a small mark that wiped away. I was glad I had that day. If that would have hit the windshield on my other car I would have been replacing it.

it was a $195 option when I ordered mine. I wouldn’t pay $495 for GG, though.

Challenger85

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21’ Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical
A lot of us have had issues with the glass breaking for no reason. Mine cracked from the bottom up the first time I turned on my heater last winter. Dealership replaced it though because it was a factory defect in the windshield so it was covered as a replacement. I’m starting to think i just got stupid lucky with that but my truck was only a month old. That warranty is misleading because if the warranty only applies to dealer installed glass and not factory, what’s the point?

Sponsored

HooliganActual

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
on a side note in regards to jeep cares they did offer me reimbursement if i went ahead and purchased a new windshield from the dealership, i do not see the point using my money up front in purchasing glass, then waiting who knows how long and most likely jumping through hoops to collect reimbursement for an upgrade product that was paid for when i purchased the Jeep....i've decided to turn over to insurance zero deductible and let em throw in what ever they want, glass installers will come to my house which saves me the hassle of dropping off at dealership....Jeep Gorilla Glass is NO Bueno
I'm no expert, so take this with a grain of salt. My insurance agent told me that some laws have changed in the last few years that allow insurance companies to hold windshield replacement claims against you. She told me that too many replacements in a certain period of time could be grounds for dropping my coverage if they chose, not unlike having too many "at fault" accidents.

Personally, I'd take the free/reimbursed glass from Jeep Cares. Obviously, it is "warrantied" or they wouldn't be willing to give you the money back. You paid for the benefit, might as well use it. I mean, I get the ease of having someone come to you house or place of work to do the replacement and then filing the claim for you, but "$20 is $20".

It reminds me of a cereal company I worked for in a previous life: we stopped putting toys/prizes in the cereal boxes and instead put offers on the box that said "collect 5 boxtops and send in with $5.00 for the toy" because the reality is a very small percentage of people would actually go to that effort; so we saved money on giving away toys and, man, could we sell some cereal when the kids saw that picture on the box.

They've simply given you a benefit with a few hurdles hoping that you will just "let off the gas" and not force their hand.

SuperUltraMan

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Gladiator Rubicon, JL Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Human Being
While I’m sorry to hear the outcome of others, I have to add that I’m very happy with my gorilla glass so far.

I’ve been behind semi trucks throwing large chunks of salt, sand, and gravel many times over this winter while passing through states and I fully expected to have a damaged glass but not even a pit or chip.

In fact, I had a hit last night that again made me expect damage but just found a pebble near my wiper.

It was an option that came on the Jeep as it was delivered and was cheap at the time but I’m glad it has worked for me.

poltergiest

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mojave
Yep, I too was fooled by this snake oil.. I only have $95 in it, factory order but paid $89 at Guptons.

Any way found out the Gorilla part is on the INSIDE!!! Why would they think I would hit with something on the side!?

Well my started as two inches and literally ten seconds later, while stopped, it went all the way up. I didn't even try, just has safelite put on the cheapest they had. The state I had my insurance in does not waive deductible for glass replacement just repair.
I have now moved to a glass state and will put the OEM back next glass, wife misses the stupid gorilla in the corner. I talked to safelite and they said since it was factory installed the insurance would cover it, even thought it is not factory now.

Willys2Gladiator

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
Regular windshield glass install by factory isn't covered either. Seems like they all follow same rules and does regardless of type.

Snake Eyes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sport S Max Tow, 2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
My factory GG got replaced by dealer since it was a factory defect. Cracked in a perfect circle without a single impact point. Now my current one falls under the 2 year warrenty since it is dealer installed, so I am good. Plus my insurance covers whatever was installed on my factory order which is the GG so they said they would cover it as OEM if it cracks. So I am good all the way around. I like GG for more than the resistance, I like it because the weight reduction.
Sponsored