Sponsored

Got Love These Magazine Experts (Morons)

scottpgt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vimanna
One thing for sure - give a magazine or Internet You-Tuber a Jeep to drive, and they all become Manufacturer Puppets, where everything is absolutely perfect. I'm referring to this Car & Drivers comment:

""And that means the Gladiator is Blessed with Laser Precise Steering"

What was this guy thinking . . . . While the Gladiator is a great truck - perfect steering is not one of its traits!

Regards Mike

View attachment 21078
car driver.jpg

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

Ole Cowboy

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 F 450, 17 JK Rubicon RECON, 21 Glady
Occupation
ReTired
HEY MAN, you making fun of the handicapped... it's a Dyslexia thing, you may not understand.;)

LOL, I don't know if he has Dyslexia or not, but I do and I leave out words, reverse letters and numbers. Today it's recognized and understood, when I was going to school no one had any idea what it was...instead, the teachers beat the living shit out of me or put me in a desk at the back of the room, school was not good for me.

Sponsored

scottpgt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vimanna
It happens. I don't disagree with your overall point especially when it comes to magazines. Many of the youtube channels have gotten better about calling out manufacturers on problems though, I think.

OP
OP
LowOnCash

LowOnCash

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
HEY MAN, you making fun of the handicapped... it's a Dyslexia thing, you may not understand.;)

LOL, I don't know if he has Dyslexia or not, but I do and I leave out words, reverse letters and numbers. Today it's recognized and understood, when I was going to school no one had any idea what it was...instead, the teachers beat the living shit out of me or put me in a desk at the back of the room, school was not good for me.

LOL I think is old age - I read so many reviews where they brag about the steering - I'm beginning to see ghost and demons!

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
This reminds me of all the wrangler reviews where they praise its rugged and spartan design and then in the next breath complain about lack of tech and refinements.

Get your story straight. I don’t care what position you take in the review, all I ask is that you stick to it.

Wrangler (and by extension Gladiator) as rough and ready romper stomper: unequaled capabilities and clearances, built to take it and hand it out. Removable top and doors are iconic and the quintessential Jeep experience. Classic design that never strays too far from the war winning go devil run about. An interior designed to be hosed out. The ultimate expression of all conditions access to the great wilderness beyond. The standard by which every other utility vehicle is gaged. Why do they all look and feel the same? Because it works. Everything you need and nothing you don’t. Capable of cruising the boulevard on Saturday night and crawling the canyon all day. Bested only by the horse!

Wrangler as compared to everything else: the flat glass, flat dash and slab sided design speak to earlier era; one involving dinosaurs: when are they going to finally at least modernize the design. The appalling lack of luxury on something this expensive is a shame (sham?), if a bargin basement Kia can come loaded with power everything and enough tech to launch a moon mission, why can’t jeep? The heat/ac only has two settings, off and working so poorly you’d swear it was off. Steering is as accurate as a barge which is okay because handling and ride comfort are on par with a barge as well. I’ve had better comfort on carnival rides. Coil spring suspension is going to kill off-road capabilities. Computer controlled ignition and fuel injection is going to kill off road capabilities. Auto locking hubs are going to kill off-road capabilities. Disk brakes are going to kill off-road capabilities. Dual circuit brakes are going to kill off road capabilities. Power steering is going to kill off road capabilities. Power brakes are going to kill off road capabilities. Anything other than the 258 is a waste. Anything other than the commando is a waste.

Guys, the formula is simple and as long as you stick to it you can improve it without destroying it ( land cruiser in America I’m looking at you here. Bronco and Blazer don’t think you can scoot away either) but the press seems to forget that what makes a wonderful off-roader will often make a piss poor on-roader.

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
It happens. I don't disagree with your overall point especially when it comes to magazines. Many of the youtube channels have gotten better about calling out manufacturers on problems though, I think.
I tend to agree with 'LowOnCash' -- and it's sadly not just the nonprofessional YouTuber or 2 .
Some of the "Real Car Guys" just have a knack for screwing up some items (of importance) that I, as a "dummy person," even know ! I wish I could quote some offhand, but I'm "LowOnBrainMatter" ! What are ya gonna do ? Stop watching "Those Guys" ! What are ya gonna do AT the Dealership ? Sometimes I just bite my tongue (ouch) and walk away in silence . . . hoping "they" DON'T follow me & inquire . . . " Did I say something to offend you?" -
that has happened to me this year (at my local Lithia) . Sorry Lithia, but . . . the truth sometimes has to be heard .

Ole Cowboy

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ReTired
LOL I think is old age - I read so many reviews where they brag about the steering - I'm beginning to see ghost and demons!
Certainly could be, I will tell ya, old age and dyslexia do not make a good combo. I gave up writing several years ago and try to focus just getting it to make sense on some forums I am on!

Sponsored

OP
OP
LowOnCash

LowOnCash

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
The days of a good independent review are few! Between the manufacture writers, bloggers and the You-Tubers all trying to seek an identity of being an expert and hits, it's really difficult to find independent information you can trust. They all seem to be like puppets and use all the same cute slangy terms, its almost amusing to read reviews any longer. Big Corporate companies now control nearly everything we hear and see of their products.

Regards

Ole Cowboy

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ReTired
The days of a good independent review are few! Between the manufacture writers, bloggers and the You-Tubers all trying to seek an identity of being an expert and hits, it's really difficult to find independent information you can trust. They all seem to be like puppets and use all the same cute slangy terms, its almost amusing to read reviews any longer. Big Corporate companies now control nearly everything we hear and see of their products.

Regards
ANYTHING written in any media that takes advertising for what you are writing about is highly influenced by those who place the ad. How many times have you ever seen this from a fanboi mag:

We tested this bumper and its a piece of crap, just driving down the highway the bugs hitting it left dents. DON'T BUY!

So what would they say"

We tested this bumper and liked the use of pop rivets over welds,, amazing weight savings. Driving down the highway the bugs must have been as big as fighter jets as they were hitting our bumper and it left a rather nice textured finish. Buy this bumper if you are looking for a lightweight bumper that develops a nice texture and patina as you drive!

OP
OP
LowOnCash

LowOnCash

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
ANYTHING written in any media that takes advertising for what you are writing about is highly influenced by those who place the ad. How many times have you ever seen this from a fanboi mag:

We tested this bumper and its a piece of crap, just driving down the highway the bugs hitting it left dents. DON'T BUY!

So what would they say"

We tested this bumper and liked the use of pop rivets over welds,, amazing weight savings. Driving down the highway the bugs must have been as big as fighter jets as they were hitting our bumper and it left a rather nice textured finish. Buy this bumper if you are looking for a lightweight bumper that develops a nice texture and patina as you drive!
LOL I'd bet anything he got himself a free bumper - these guys are prostitutes!

Funny you should mention it but I'm looking for a nice bumper with some Led's and winch - something like this!

Screen Shot 2019-06-30 at 10.41.27 AM.png

Ole Cowboy

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ReTired
LOL I'd bet anything he got himself a free bumper - these guys are prostitutes!

Funny you should mention it but I'm looking for a nice bumper with some Led's and winch - something like this!

Screen Shot 2019-06-30 at 10.41.27 AM.png
LOL, you should not have any issues. The whole Jeep thing is driven by articles in the mags and Youtube all selling something. So how do you get your Jeep in a Jeep mag? Load it up with goodies that are the BIG advertisers in the mags and it has to be trending..

I used to see a lot of the writers on the trails in Moab, most go often and not just EJS. In fact I have met some here and wheeled with them. I also got questions as to how I made my Rubicon wheel so well...RARE I have ever pulled a strap or used my winch for my Jeep. But I never made into any of the mags...why? I did not use any kits and almost all no big name components. I also fabbed up a lot of stuff, that was my bag of tricks.

TIP: IF you want to play at the 4++ level trails, you got to build real GOOD! Here is something I did, I painted the underside of my Jeep after every trip wheeling were I took on the extreme trails. WHY? I was always looking for hang ups. In my world 3=6./ . Another reason why I never got in the mags was a 3 in lift, not when the trend was 5-6 in lifts. Make the 3 in a 6 in by smoothing out the belly of the Jeep. I spent hours and hours under my Jeep, looking at how I made it smoother.

Here are a couple of rear bumpers I fabbed up for those that like the trendy stuff and the last pic is another trick: Cut off the center body mount on a TJ and raise it to the top of the frame. The center body mount on a TJ hung low and was a stopper for a lot of folks on trails. All it takes to bring your Jeep to a halt is a 1/4 in of steel hanging down, a bolt head etc and fixing those does NOT sell lift kits or get you in mags.

05082009084.jpg

12122009267.jpg

01102009428.jpeg

OP
OP
LowOnCash

LowOnCash

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Been watching a lot of rock work on youtube catching up. There is a clear division between the guys that know their stuff and the other 85-90% of which are just clowns out there with Temporary tags on new trucks tearing stuff up!
Sponsored