Got rid of my new 2021 Gladiator in 2.5 months

vh5150

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Willys 2021
Hi All - like many of you I have scoured this great forum for information and had an entire plan in place for 35s, new wheels, spacer lifts, etc. Even had the appointment scheduled. Appreciate all the help I have received! Unfortunately, I had to make a tough call to get rid of my Gladiator. I am just posting this info in the spirit that it might help others (especially those with back/neck issues). I was so excited to live the experience and use the vehicle for camping and fun. I am bummed but it had to be done. I'll bullet out the reasons below. For anyone considering this vehicle with back issues, get the dealer to let you spend a full day with the car, or more if you can. Sit in it, go for lunch, sit in it more and drive. Make sure you can get comfortable.

1) Number 1 reason was due to discomfort. I could not get the seat into a position where I was comfortable. I have severe cervical spine issues and the ergonomics and seat positioning just wasnt working. I actually purchased a mopar replacement headrest and bent the drivers side with a pipe bender. Within the last few weeks i could feel my herniation creeping back to the point where I started having issues with my arm. Now I could have explored after market seats but that could have ended up being a money pit as for me I never know until I spend time in the seat/chair/vehicle.

2) During the time i was struggling with the seat I began to notice several issues. Not sure how or what happened in the production of my hard top, but it was absolute crap. Paint was coming off before 100 miles (with no accidents). I did call and the dealer told me it would be hard to get that covered under warranty. And then I noticed that on one side the paint was thin so much that you could see the white fiberglass behind it coming out. I also noticed some paint defects in the bed of the truck.

3) I could not come to grips with the fact the radio was not up to par (i had 5 inch not upgraded). I am surprised that any car at this price point would have such a lackluster stereo. I am an audiophile/musician and it was just not something i could get used to. Once again, I could have explored more after market solutions but on what little i had planned to do to the vehicle the money was starting to pile up. Also, yet another reason to spend time with the vehicle.

All this said, had I been able to get comfortable I would likely have found a way to deal with the other issues. Although not ideal for a brand new vehicle. Thanks again for all the feedback, answers and support. You are all a great bunch. I'll miss the waves!

Peace

Thanks,
Marc
Sponsored

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
Godspeed for you sir, hope you find yourself the properly comfortable vehicle to suit your needs.

The dealer that told you the paint would be hard to get covered under warranty was being lazy I would imagine. Paint defects in quality and workmanship should be covered under the 36 month warranty.

Sadly, these “real Jeep’s” are better than they used to be, but still a Jeep at heart and your radio let down is related to just that. They certainly are not everyone’s cup of tea and with the issues you had with comfort and quality/finish I cannot blame you for questioning what is in the kool aid you are paying so much for.

JT Thomas

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator, 09 Wrangler Sahara
Occupation
U.S. Army (Retired)
Sorry about the back issue. I have one too but our experience is completely different. I have had a Ford Flex (the family truckster) an accord, and yes my wife’s Prius :facepalm: everyone of those cars I couldn’t drive two hours without having to pull over. This Jeep, for whatever reason, I can do 8-10 hours in a shot now without issue. Sorry it didn’t work out for you.

OP
OP

vh5150

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Willys 2021
Sorry about the back issue. I have one too but our experience is completely different. I have had a Ford Flex (the family truckster) an accord, and yes my wife’s Prius :facepalm: everyone of those cars I couldn’t drive two hours without having to pull over. This Jeep, for whatever reason, I can do 8-10 hours in a shot now without issue. Sorry it didn’t work out for you.
Back/neck issues are a crazy thing. And very difficult to explain to anyone who doesnt have them. Just the slightest nuance and a chair or car seat wont work. At least this is my experience.

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2014 JKRX SWB
You are certainly not the first person to get rid of a vehicle due to seat comfort. Unfortunately, it's one of those things that you don't usually find out until you've owned the vehicle for a while.

I have some lower back issues, and luckily I find my Mojave fairly comfortable (after installing a dead pedal).

Sponsored

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
What did you replace the JT with?

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
It still boggles my mind that a $56,000 truck doesn't have power adjustable seats. And now that Ford is doing it in the Bronco, Jeep can't use the excuse about keeping electronics dry. It's just B.S. The seating position and overall comfort is certainly not the best in the JT/JL. Good luck to you.

OP
OP

vh5150

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Willys 2021
You are certainly not the first person to get rid of a vehicle due to seat comfort. Unfortunately, it's one of those things that you don't usually find out until you've owned the vehicle for a while.

I have some lower back issues, and luckily I find my Mojave fairly comfortable (after installing a dead pedal).
100%

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
Hell I can't wait to throw out my back and have to hoist my ass in one leg at a time. Bad back too here. Don't have any problems driving for long periods of time. Good luck.

Sponsored

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It still boggles my mind that a $56,000 truck doesn't have power adjustable seats. And now that Ford is doing it in the Bronco, Jeep can't use the excuse about keeping electronics dry. It's just B.S. The seating position and overall comfort is certainly not the best in the JT/JL. Good luck to you.
To the OP, I'd suggest you give a Volvo a try. The seats are fantastic. They are like a good piece of furniture. The downside is that they are thick. So it eats into passenger space.

Re power seats and the bronco.

Over the years I've come to the conclusion that power seats without memory are useless. Its no quicker or easier to get yourself back into position after someone else drives with power seats than it is with manual seats.

I am coming out of a car with 10 way power adjustable seats with MEMORY. And that was wonderful. My wife gets in the car and pushes the memory button and it goes to her settings. I push #2 memory and it goes to me.

Shoot, you could even program it so the seat automatically adjusted based on his and hers key fobs.

Memory is wonderful. But without memory, power seats mean nothing. (note - the bronco with leather comes with power seats, but no memory. Also of interest. The $30,000 Bronco SPORT comes with power MEMORY seats. A big fail on Ford's part. The interior of the Bronco jus sucks. One of the reasons I ordered a Gladiator recently)

Last edited:

Dryfly24

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2016 Indian Springfield
Occupation
Retired and loving it
I had back surgery in 2008 after a lifetime of issues. Lucky for me this truck is no problem in that category. I drove this truck from Waconia, MN to Las Cruces, NM only stopping for fuel, bathroom, food breaks. The Toyota Tacoma I owned before my JT was another story entirely. Couldn’t drive it for more than a few hours before the pain starting creeping in. Had to modify the seating position with aftermarket parts just to make it bearable.

The paint issue should be covered - @JeepCares ? - I’d have some words with that dealer if I was you.

As far as the radio, I’m surprised a self-described audiophile such as yourself would cheap out on the radio then complain about the quality afterwards. Not trying to be difficult but merely calling it as I see it.

Whatever you decide to get next, good luck with your future vehicle.

OP
OP

vh5150

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Willys 2021
I had back surgery in 2008 after a lifetime of issues. Lucky for me this truck is no problem in that category. I drove this truck from Waconia, MN to Las Cruces, NM only stopping for fuel, bathroom, food breaks. The Toyota Tacoma I owned before my JT was another story entirely. Couldn’t drive it for more than a few hours before the pain starting creeping in. Had to modify the seating position with aftermarket parts just to make it bearable.

The paint issue should be covered - @JeepCares ? - I’d have some words with that dealer if I was you.

As far as the radio, I’m surprised a self-described audiophile such as yourself would cheap out on the radio then complain about the quality afterwards. Not trying to be difficult but merely calling it as I see it.

Whatever you decide to get next, good luck with your future vehicle.
You're right on the radio. I told myself to look at the bigger picture and focus in on the fact I was going to really enjoy the vehicle and the radio would not be that big of an issue. Primarily because I was having a very hard time grabbing one. So I figured I would make that concession. It clearly did not work out. But like i stated earlier, if that were the only problem I had, I wouldn't have gotten rid of it.

DirkG

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
1) Kudos for the responses in not throwing the dude under the bus. That's why this board is a little different as many of the other car boards I've been on would not have understood the OP's needs and challenges.

2) I echo that the paint is indeed 100% covered under the factory warranty and I've had several instances from several brands where it has been covered and addressed. Jeep is no different.

BMW X5 with an upgraded seat package
3) I was going to suggest a Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade or a Lincoln Navigator. Unreal seats. I had a 3-series and I'm a pretty big guy and they were a little snug, but it sounds like you're good to go with the X5 :like:

Best of luck Sir as I know back issues are no fun...

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
Im fine without the power, what gets me is just the lack of adjustments available at this price. The fact that this truck has less seat adjustment available than a prius is just baffling to me.
Sponsored