Sponsored

Great news for us good old American boys and girls!!!!

biggdave92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR / 2000 XJ Sport 4x4
kinda feel like i need to hold off on the gladiator now. once these electric jeeps start rolling out getting 25-30mpg, 16mpg will be a hard sell. L3 autonomy????

Dietruck

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE, 2004 Z06, 2021 Model Y
kinda feel like i need to hold off on the gladiator now. once these electric jeeps start rolling out getting 25-30mpg, 16mpg will be a hard sell. L3 autonomy????
One of the reasons I am leasing this time around.

Hurley82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon , BMW F800GS
I am going to have to disagree. I like the idea of plug in jeep, I currently have a volt and would buy the Rivian R1T if it was more affordable. With that being said, American's acceptance of this tech isn't moving that quickly. I would go as far as saying that typical truck and jeep owners are resistant to the tech even more so than most.

Sponsored

OP
OP
IceAge

IceAge

First Name
Garey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL 2018
At the end of the day I think most Jeep owners have these as second and or third, fourth, fifth vehicle. That being said how many Miles do you put on her and I think it’s chump change on fuel. I bet the average Jeep owner goes 7k miles a year and take that by 17mpg to equal 411 gallons for the year times $3 equals $1,235.00 divided by 12 months equals $103 bucks a month for fun. Come on really that’s gonna break your check book lol. Overrated that the Electric resolves the worlds challenge of moving people and goods and services. I think the ICE will be around a lot longer than many think. And I am for new technology and not against Electric just like everything it has it’s ups and downs.

biggdave92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR / 2000 XJ Sport 4x4
I drive about 25k annually. The difference between 17mpg and 22mpg is about 70.00 a month @ 2.50 per gallon. You're right, its not much. But, if you can choose between buying a gasser or hybrid, you'd probably take the hyprid.

Jowen

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Rubicon Cherokee an x2 2020 jt rubicon
Welcome to Moab, please plug in to third cactus on the right, oops sorry no catus, I do not see a electric vehicle being used by jeeper. Cost to just charge and use electric vehicle costs more than current fossil fuel. I recommend looking at the hidden cost of electric power cars. I know no one talks about the actual cost to charge a electric vehicle, do your own research and educate yourself about the actual cost. I believe you will be shocked at the real cost just my two cents plus I am red neck but not stupid.

jhale1800

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland, 2000 Ford Crown Victoria, 2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe, 2017 Mazda3
Welcome to Moab, please plug in to third cactus on the right, oops sorry no catus, I do not see a electric vehicle being used by jeeper. Cost to just charge and use electric vehicle costs more than current fossil fuel. I recommend looking at the hidden cost of electric power cars. I know no one talks about the actual cost to charge a electric vehicle, do your own research and educate yourself about the actual cost. I believe you will be shocked at the real cost just my two cents plus I am red neck but not stupid.
Why plug into a cactus when you can plug into the sun, son...
https://www.google.com/search?clien....0i71j0i67j0i20i263j0i131j0i22i30.IxrwOhj7z6s

Hurley82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is also why I would argue a platform like the Volt is perfect for a Wrangler/Gladiator and exactly the type of vehicle it should have been in the first place. 30 to 40 miles of electric only range. We would all save a fortune on errands and daily commute and we still have a gas engine for getting into the back-country. I have been very happy with my volt over the last 3 years, cost me next to nothing to run. 3 to 4 months in between gas station visits and still has the ability for the occasional 1500 mile road trip. I've ordered a JT Rubi but will miss the efficiency.

Sponsored

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
This is also why I would argue a platform like the Volt is perfect for a Wrangler/Gladiator and exactly the type of vehicle it should have been in the first place.
I don't necessarily disagree, but how would a few hundred extra pounds impact off road performance? It would certainly affect the payload and tow ratings of the Gladiator for doing truck things. Also have to consider the packaging issues for vehicles that weren't designed as ev or hybrid. Usually there's compromise in space and weight distribution for ice vehicles that are hybridized.

Hurley82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't necessarily disagree, but how would a few hundred extra pounds impact off road performance? It would certainly affect the payload and tow ratings of the Gladiator for doing truck things. Also have to consider the packaging issues for vehicles that weren't designed as ev or hybrid. Usually there's compromise in space and weight distribution for ice vehicles that are hybridized.
All good points, there would definitely be some compromises. Batteries are kept pretty low helping with COG. The battery pack in my volt weighs around 475 lbs and is 16kwh with only 9.8 useable. I would estimate that a similar pack fully unlocked and useable in a Wrangler would possibly provide 20 miles range in ideal conditions. So ya compromises and that doesn't even begin to address how to fit the battery pack.

Jowen

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Rubicon Cherokee an x2 2020 jt rubicon
Okay, the cost of solar power is quite large, you have look at infrastructure, the charging station at home, the power cost to charge the battery. The power to charge the battery, production costs, the environmental waste from the battery production, battery life and then disposal. Environmental contamination from accidents plus clean up, the cost is hidden. I agree that electric vehicle use is coming, however not for off road vehicles. I also see huge tax coming on off road vehicles as tree huggers ( which have done good in some places) commit to all electric vehicles. I will never see it but the clash of comming.

Woodstock

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Grand Cherokee, 2016 Mini Countryman All4
Okay, the cost of solar power is quite large, you have look at infrastructure, the charging station at home, the power cost to charge the battery. The power to charge the battery, production costs, the environmental waste from the battery production, battery life and then disposal. Environmental contamination from accidents plus clean up, the cost is hidden. I agree that electric vehicle use is coming, however not for off road vehicles. I also see huge tax coming on off road vehicles as tree huggers ( which have done good in some places) commit to all electric vehicles. I will never see it but the clash of comming.
I would go for an eTorque mild hybrid in a Gladiator. I hope that is in the roadmap.
Sponsored