Sponsored

Grimm Offroad Grade 8 Suspension Bolt Kits are Now Available!

Northridge4x4

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.northridge4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Sahara JKU, 2013 Rubicon JKU
Occupation
Seller of badassery
The new Grimm Offroad 10.9 Bolt kits for the JT suspension are in stock and ready to ship:
https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/hardware/10049-grimm-offroad-hardware-upgrade-kit

Jeep Gladiator Grimm Offroad Grade 8 Suspension Bolt Kits are Now Available! gor10049

Installation instructions are here: https://support.grimmoffroad.com/Guide/JT+Hardware+Upgrade+Kit+Part+Number+10049/10

These bolts are slightly larger in diameter, which will help tighten up the oversized factory holes in the frame. They also feature a large non-thread shank instead of a fully threaded shank which will help keep tooth galling and chatter to a minimum.

Jeep Gladiator Grimm Offroad Grade 8 Suspension Bolt Kits are Now Available! Grade-8-Comparison

OE bolt on the top left, Grimm 10.9 bolt on the bottom right.

As hardware starts to loosen up over time, the threaded portion of the OE bolt will wear both the OD of the threads and the ID of the suspension bushing, making the joint sloppy over time.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Moonshineheadache

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Great White Edition Rubicon
Occupation
Gas Pump Jockey - I hate cans!
Vehicle Showcase
OMG! Alright...you got me! It's an early April 1st prank right? I'm so glad that a "kit" comprised of some grade 8 bolts (24 to be exact) WITH washers and nuts are back in stock because the countless JT owners out there were SOOOOO excited to part with $160!!!!!!

Are you kidding me!!!!

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
Does the JT have the same issue with the front track bar wallowing out like the JK did? I replaced my JK’s track bar bolts at the hardware store.

The rest of the bolts? Meh, not for $160.

$100~$120 would be better. It would cost me about $90 to replace them all with grade 8 at Lowe’s or Home Depot.

the convenience of a “kit” would add a bit.

Moonshineheadache

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Great White Edition Rubicon
Occupation
Gas Pump Jockey - I hate cans!
Vehicle Showcase
This is a little closer...
Jeep Gladiator Grimm Offroad Grade 8 Suspension Bolt Kits are Now Available! 1616624502650

1616624337581.png

Sponsored

OP
OP
Northridge4x4

Northridge4x4

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.northridge4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Sahara JKU, 2013 Rubicon JKU
Occupation
Seller of badassery
The bolts are all metric 10.9 and yes, you can go online and source all these bolts yourself.

Grimm just made it easy by putting them all in one package.

Deleted member 30519

Core 4x4 has an option to get grade 8 hardware when you buy suspension parts .I paid $15 extra
for my lower control arm hardware. I read somewhere if you use the stock bolts for aftermarket arms you can wear out the bushings because of the bolts are slimmer and will rub inside.

haze521

First Name
haz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
e commerce
Vehicle Showcase
The bolts are all metric 10.9 and yes, you can go online and source all these bolts yourself.

can I order just the front lower ca bolts? not necessarily from the grim kit, just any replacements you might have. thanks.

haze521

First Name
haz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
e commerce
Vehicle Showcase

can you provide the exact size/specs of the Grim front lower control arms bolts so I can source them locally, I'm doing my lift this Saturday and don't have time to order and get them on time. thank you much.

piroman683

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Gladiator
Just ordered the kit off their website, I actually don’t mind paying the extra for someone to put a complete kit together. Stoked this was available!

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Frankly, none of the bolts should ever be to the point that things can move. They are supposed to clamp the bushings solidly. If anything moves, then there's not enough torque and having a bolt that fits more snugly is simply asking the sheer strength of the bolt to hold things in place.

The stock bolts should be the metric equivalent of grade 8 which is PC 10.9

Are people saying that the factory bolts are not 10.9?
Even the suspension and steering bolts on my AMCs are grade 8 - so wouldn't Jeep also be using the metric equivalent of PC 10.9 ?

Gobi Wan K

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Gladiator
Occupation
Roller Coaster Tester
Frankly, none of the bolts should ever be to the point that things can move. They are supposed to clamp the bushings solidly. If anything moves, then there's not enough torque and having a bolt that fits more snugly is simply asking the sheer strength of the bolt to hold things in place.

The stock bolts should be the metric equivalent of grade 8 which is PC 10.9

Are people saying that the factory bolts are not 10.9?
Even the suspension and steering bolts on my AMCs are grade 8 - so wouldn't Jeep also be using the metric equivalent of PC 10.9 ?

The suspension fasteners on mine are 10.9. But my TJ had 8.8. I often see 8.8 (grade 5) used for suspension components. Everyone seems to think that a stronger bolt is better but they fail to understand why it is stronger. A 10.9 is hardened more than an 8.8 which makes it brittle. You only need a bolt strong enough to achieve the clamping force necessary for the connection. In mechanical connections the strength comes from the clamping force (or tension) acting on the feying surfaces, which take the load. This is different from say, a building, where often the fastener carries the load. But that is also a static load and not dynamic. So, as you mentioned, loose connections are far more of a problem here than the bolt being slightly undersize. Yes, the normal engineering wouldn't put threads in the shear plane. I would guess the engineers on this didn't see that as a problem here. Now, once we start adding aftermarket components then we are in the woods a bit as far as the stock hardware goes. Maybe it is still good and maybe it should be changed.
Sponsored