Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I think halfway through 22' was a flip. I noticed my Mojave doesn't have silver spring coils like a lot for the Mojave's I've seen on here as well.
And yet 23s here have steel hoods. (several 2023 Mojave owners have said so)
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Wonder why the difference.. easier to form the scoop out of steel than aluminum?

All this back and forth made me go out and confirm, aluminum for my rubicon. As expected.
All I can think of is perhaps, considering when it was, a shortage of steel to make the hoods?
Early Mojave - steel hood.
2023 Mojave - steel hood.

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
Very weird, my August 2020 build date on my 2021 Mojave is steel hood, makes me happy! I was the very first Mojave ordered at my dealer, was like a celebrity for a while on the road, lot of people coming up to me to ask about the Jeep……Jack

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The plot is thicken. My 21 Overland has fiberglass hood ?
Yours has a hood?
I was told that was an option.

Sponsored

Toyfrog

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
All Mojaves and all export hoods were steel, must have been a recent change , my 21 and the 392 Wrangler I looked at were steel. 2021 Mojave.
My 21 Mojave is steel, be nice if it were aluminum and take some weight off the already soft springs.

CampThree

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Mojave, 1993 C1500 Silverado,
Occupation
Retired US Marine
My 22 is steel for sure. I guess I'm in the minority here but I like the fake hood scoop.

GeneralMaximus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTM
My 2023 Mojave has a steel hood. Heavy as hell, and i can stick a magnet on it.

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Electrical Manager
I think the Mojave hood is steel to help with weight bias front to rear when we jump through the air, keeping the front down to absorb ground impacts properly lesser, (yes I said lesser) trims just don’t jump and if they did they would just land really, really bad. This is the same reason the 392 hood is steel to keep the front end down on zero to sixty runs.
There ya have it , it’s posted on the internet so it must be true!?…..Jack

Sponsored

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Electrical Manager
My 22 is steel for sure. I guess I'm in the minority here but I like the fake hood scoop.
I sometimes think the only people that don’t like the Mojave hood are people that don’t own Mojaves. Just saying….Jack

AustinLonghorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 JT, '00 WJ, '97 TJ
Tuesday's 3 hailstorms did a number on the hood of our Mojave. After a quick trip to the paintless dent repair guy, he told us that since the hood is aluminum, he can't do anything for us and it would need to be replaced. So that sucks.

However, the fake scoop always kinda bugged me as only a couple of steps up from one of those stick on scoops you would see on a Dodge Neon.
How bad are the dents?

I was out driving my wife's TJ in the same storm on Tuesday and it just seems to shrug the stuff off (windshield is already cracked from a pigeon encounter and a previous baseball-sized hail storm, so nothing new there, either).

One of the reasons I ordered a JT was some assumption of "hail-resistance" based on our TJ.

Redleg37

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Gladiator Sport, 13 Wrangler Sport
Occupation
Clinical Chaplain
Depending on whether or not you want a replacement, I’d talk with another paintless dent shop. I’ll post some pictures below of the hailstorm that came through last and what it did to my hood. A local shop had my Rubicon less than two days and got them all so well it looked new again.

Hail 1.jpg

Hail.jpg

Hood.jpeg
All my cars except my Gladiator look like golf balls. We get massive hail storms multiple times a year on average. The last one destroyed a windshield on my wife's cherokee and golf-balled it completely; it was paid off early because of previous hail damage. My wrangler was paid off early because of golf ball dents. Every spring we get several bad storms. I'm not looking forward to the eventual hail storm that damages my gladiator, but I'll probably use it to help pay it off early (or maybe do re-gear it). We had one storm a few years ago that destroyed every new car on every car lot in one of our nearby towns.

Idlethunder

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
All my cars except my Gladiator look like golf balls. We get massive hail storms multiple times a year on average. The last one destroyed a windshield on my wife's cherokee and golf-balled it completely; it was paid off early because of previous hail damage. My wrangler was paid off early because of golf ball dents. Every spring we get several bad storms. I'm not looking forward to the eventual hail storm that damages my gladiator, but I'll probably use it to help pay it off early (or maybe do re-gear it). We had one storm a few years ago that destroyed every new car on every car lot in one of our nearby towns.
When we get hail like this here it is usually scattered. Last fall was the first time we’ve had it large enough at the house to damage a vehicle but hail storms seem to be happening more often. Six months ago was when my Gladiator got hit then three weeks ago while we were out of town in the JT another rolled thru that did over 7k damage to my wife’s SUV. This last storm actually hit the closest town and dropped the larger hail in these pictures. The stuff that got her Lincoln at home wasn’t that big.

Hail March 14-24.jpg

Hail March 14-24 2.png

swtrailboss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Auto tech
I think all Mojave hoods are aluminum? It's a weight thing and one of the reasons the hood mods, like snorkels all have the d
Mine says STEEL !!! 21 Mojave
“They never lie”

IMG_6380.jpeg
Sponsored