Sponsored

Half Doors side impact?

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I know this is wrangler ish in nature, but i think it'll translate over to the JT. With the JK the factory half doors that are metal. Do those have the same side impact strength as the full doors, or is it essentially a thin sheet of metal with little to no structural strength?
Sponsored

Wraith

First Name
Wraith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU my 19th Jeep
Good question. I suppose the answer likely has something to do with whether they are offered as OE standard equipment from the factory versus an aftermarket part you can purchase from Jeep. I would assume if the vehicle is delivered with them from the factory they have to meet certain strength and impact requirements, but the Jeep Wrangler/Gladiator is sort of a weird area because the doors can be removed. From the attached image I would guess they would take the structural supports from the full doors and reconfigure them to fit into the smaller space of the half door while keeping within the same strength and impact guidelines as before.
2018-JL-Safety-Highlights.jpg

JTRUBI

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jk rubicon
Build Thread
Link
They are built just like regular doors. I had a pair the Mopar half door for a short time. Obviously not strength of a full door but it has the side impact beam inside.

Aftermarket is a different story.most of those are just shells.

I’m assuming your worried about a side impact being doorless ?

I know this is wrangler ish in nature, but i think it'll translate over to the JT. With the JK the factory half doors that are metal. Do those have the same side impact strength as the full doors, or is it essentially a thin sheet of metal with little to no structural strength?

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
They are built just like regular doors. I had a pair the Mopar half door for a short time. Obviously not strength of a full door but it has the side impact beam inside.

Aftermarket is a different story.most of those are just shells.

I’m assuming your worried about a side impact being doorless ?
Kind of. I've never had a wrangler. I think the half door look is cool, gives more of an open feel, but i just wanted to know if all of them were created equal.

If the OE Jeep half doors have the impact beam, that's probably what i'll go for. Sure not as safe as a full door, but way better than a sheet of canvas.

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good question. I suppose the answer likely has something to do with whether they are offered as OE standard equipment from the factory versus an aftermarket part you can purchase from Jeep. I would assume if the vehicle is delivered with them from the factory they have to meet certain strength and impact requirements, but the Jeep Wrangler/Gladiator is sort of a weird area because the doors can be removed. From the attached image I would guess they would take the structural supports from the full doors and reconfigure them to fit into the smaller space of the half door while keeping within the same strength and impact guidelines as before.
2018-JL-Safety-Highlights.jpg
I can't believe that's all there is to the side impact "beams" I read somewhere that since the doors are designed to come off, Jeep doesn't have to make them as crash safe as say a normal sedan.

I don't know if that's complete BS, but I can't imagine the DOT would let them not meet a minimum standard for side impact protection. I can take the doors off of my civic too, Jeep just made it easier to do than Honda.

Sponsored

JTRUBI

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jk rubicon
Build Thread
Link
If it makes you feel better I was tboned at 80+ kmh on my drivers side without my doors and I came out of it pretty lucky. Banged up leg and arm, and a concussion but nothing broken.

These jeeps are pretty safe in my opinion. That’s why I’m getting the gladiator because how safe my JK was and how I just don’t feel safe in anything else.

Kind of. I've never had a wrangler. I think the half door look is cool, gives more of an open feel, but i just wanted to know if all of them were created equal.

If the OE Jeep half doors have the impact beam, that's probably what i'll go for. Sure not as safe as a full door, but way better than a sheet of canvas.
2DBC3A15-C1AA-45E0-AD60-E533924ECF5C.jpeg

A0C91598-0C75-49A2-AB1A-6F89E459F579.jpeg

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Chevy Tahoe, 2006 Jeep Liberty
If it makes you feel better I was tboned at 80+ kmh on my drivers side without my doors and I came out of it pretty lucky. Banged up leg and arm, and a concussion but nothing broken.

These jeeps are pretty safe in my opinion. That’s why I’m getting the gladiator because how safe my JK was and how I just don’t feel safe in anything else.

Wow. Glad you came out all right.

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

didn't you post this in a discussion about side airbags? Didn't the front airbag stop your head from hitting something?

While I don't mean to sound rude, but it looks like the front fender area/wheel took a bit of abuse, I wonder how safe you would have been if the vehicle hit where the door would have been? Probably would have been pretty banged up or dead.

I recently was t-boned in my jetta, just behind the rear drivers door by a suburban at 35-40mph. Car was totaled, but i didn't have a scratch. Made me start to rethink safety needs. On the other hand its made me also think that any day could be my last and I should enjoy life while i'm alive.

Thus, the desire to get OE half doors on my Gladiator. Part open air enjoyment, with some protection.

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
Its worth noting that the slider on the sides is pretty handy as well. It'll keep your side straight, it'll also help keep those careless folks in parking lots from door dinging you... they're door hits sturdy steel and never touches your precious paint.

Sponsored

JTRUBI

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jk rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Yup the side airbag saved my head from hitting the road when I rolled over and slammed into another SUV.

The car hit me in the wheel and all the way until the middle of the door area ( you can see the rocker crumpled in but the rock rail stayed intact)

The only reason the fender is gone is because I slide on my drivers side and into the other SUV. The fender on the driver side side both came off.

Main reason I didn’t as badly hurt or killed is because I was hit by a Mazda 3 and my jeep was on a 4.5” lift and 37s.

But that being said I came out pretty lucky due to how this jeep was designed.

Just so you can see the extent of the damage a bit better

But I’m with you on the half doors for the gladiator. I’m just hoping they still end up offering them as they mentioned. I was piecing together my set because I was worried about what ended up happening to me. I only had a set of rear half doors. Hadn’t found a pair for fronts at the time.

didn't you post this in a discussion about side airbags? Didn't the front airbag stop your head from hitting something?

While I don't mean to sound rude, but it looks like the front fender area/wheel took a bit of abuse, I wonder how safe you would have been if the vehicle hit where the door would have been? Probably would have been pretty banged up or dead.

I recently was t-boned in my jetta, just behind the rear drivers door by a suburban at 35-40mph. Car was totaled, but i didn't have a scratch. Made me start to rethink safety needs. On the other hand its made me also think that any day could be my last and I should enjoy life while i'm alive.

Thus, the desire to get OE half doors on my Gladiator. Part open air enjoyment, with some protection.
D7CE73C7-945C-4CF0-8693-D3F9CEF034C6.jpeg

E71180C1-1B1B-4F48-9D6F-B56C350E9F4F.jpeg

F25C91C7-2DAA-4FFF-97F5-E8CE5C8556E0.jpeg

6D8F1631-3922-4F73-9077-F64CDBC9C320.jpeg

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DAMN @JTRUBI ! that does paint a different picture. Glad you came away relatively unscathed.

"Honey, i need a lift kit and 37" wheels because they save lives!"

Actually I think the Jurassic park plate saved you. Your truck could have been in one of those movies after a T-Rex messes it up. lol

FunWagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
I have a JK with factory half doors for 10 years and I had a TJ before that with aftermarket Bestop half doors. The Jeep factory half doors and aftermarket half doors are night and day in comparison. The Jeep half doors are constructed the same as the full doors, just without the glass windows... same bottom, including the safety beams, armrest, pockets, etc. The aftermarket doors are basically primitive bare sheet metal. From outside they are flush with the body and the door handles are at different heights between the front and back, but on the inside very primitive with lots to be desired and feels like something is missing. This is from my experience.

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a JK with factory half doors for 10 years and I had a TJ before that with aftermarket Bestop half doors. The Jeep factory half doors and aftermarket half doors are night and day in comparison. The Jeep half doors are constructed the same as the full doors, just without the glass windows... same bottom, including the safety beams, armrest, pockets, etc. The aftermarket doors are basically primitive bare sheet metal. From outside they are flush with the body and the door handles are at different heights between the front and back, but on the inside very primitive with lots to be desired and feels like something is missing. This is from my experience.
Awesome! I'll wait for Jeep brand half doors then.