Sponsored

Halogen Headlight Upgrade - BUT...NOT LED?

grmays

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I have a Sport S Max Tow with the wimpy stock headlights. I've read tons of articles on upgrading the headlights to LEDs or swapping in LED bulbs. I'll likely do the Oracle Oculus full replacement at some point but for now I was wondering if there were any low cost halogen upgrades that are beneficial and NON-LED because I've also read enough about the debate on LED bulbs in halogen housings not being optimal to feel like I do not want to go that way. I get "bright flashed" FREQUENTLY even with the wimpy stock lighting so I really don't want to make that worse!!

When we bought a TJ project a few years back we immediately put the Sylvania Silverstars in and it was a good upgrade performance wise and very reasonably priced vs hundreds of dollars for LED replacements.

Any thoughts and suggestions?? Please lets stay focused on non-LED...I agree LEDs are awesome...no debate...LED complete replacements in the future but other priorities right now for $s BUT have some long trips planned that will involve night driving so wondering if there is some other option.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
LED replacement bulbs won’t cost any more than the Silverstars.
I don’t know if Flame Thrower bulbs are still available, let alone as an H13. They were replacement bulbs with 55W low beam and 90-110W main beam.

Kevin

nbvillager

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
retired
... Please lets stay focused on non-LED...
I know that you said to stay focussed on non-LED but possibly one solution is overlooked. If you are going to a full replacement at some point, you might consider changing the halogen fog lights to a SAE driving/combo LED fog light. This would assist the beam pattern and spread of your halogen headlights. It costs more than changing bulbs and costs less than changing the headlights. It takes you part way towards your goal. If I were making the call, I would choose Diode Dynamics SS2 Pro. A lower cost option is the SS2 Sport. There are other brands of SAE driving/combo fog lights that I would also consider.

OP
OP
grmays

grmays

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I know that you said to stay focussed on non-LED but possibly one solution is overlooked. If you are going to a full replacement at some point, you might consider changing the halogen fog lights to a SAE driving/combo LED fog light. This would assist the beam pattern and spread of your halogen headlights. It costs more than changing bulbs and costs less than changing the headlights. It takes you part way towards your goal. If I were making the call, I would choose Diode Dynamics SS2 Pro. A lower cost option is the SS2 Sport. There are other brands of SAE driving/combo fog lights that I would also consider.
Good point....indeed that would help in some aspects. Will check them out.
Thx!

RodRecket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AEV JT370
I have a Sport S Max Tow with the wimpy stock headlights. I've read tons of articles on upgrading the headlights to LEDs or swapping in LED bulbs. I'll likely do the Oracle Oculus full replacement at some point but for now I was wondering if there were any low cost halogen upgrades that are beneficial and NON-LED because I've also read enough about the debate on LED bulbs in halogen housings not being optimal to feel like I do not want to go that way. I get "bright flashed" FREQUENTLY even with the wimpy stock lighting so I really don't want to make that worse!!

When we bought a TJ project a few years back we immediately put the Sylvania Silverstars in and it was a good upgrade performance wise and very reasonably priced vs hundreds of dollars for LED replacements.

Any thoughts and suggestions?? Please lets stay focused on non-LED...I agree LEDs are awesome...no debate...LED complete replacements in the future but other priorities right now for $s BUT have some long trips planned that will involve night driving so wondering if there is some other option.

Thanks!
Funny enough I used to get bright flashed all the time with my halogens and since I've switched to the Oracle Oculus I haven't been flashed at all. Must have to do with the cut off line because I thought I would get flashed more with how much brighter they are.

I don't have a halogen replacement suggestion for you but will give your post a bump and an additional positive review for the Oculus when you decide to upgrade.

Sponsored

canyonrat

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Gladiator Rubicon, 2005 Jeep TJ RME

Thanks!
Silverstar Ultra's here on my Rubicon, work great. I do have LED fogs I can flip on when needed but they are pointed very low. I avoided the non-heated LED's purposely due to icing concerns. I may go LED eventually now I live in a warmer state.

saintpauljeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Rubi, '03 BMW Z4, '20 Mitsu OutSport
Occupation
Software Developer
Silverstar Ultra's here on my Rubicon, work great. I do have LED fogs I can flip on when needed but they are pointed very low. I avoided the non-heated LED's purposely due to icing concerns. I may go LED eventually now I live in a warmer state.
can't make up my mind on lighting choices myself so I had been thinking of going the Silverstar Ultra route as well

Sponsored

JeepNNJ

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'97 Jeep TJ '22 Gladiator
Occupation
Chemist
Not much choice in H13, is there?
Thank you for this chart, i too am looking for an upgrade for my halogen lights.
Do you know the make and model number of the OEM halogen headlights?

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
If you’re getting flashed with stock bulbs, that’s not a brightness issue. That’s a calibration issue. If you get that fixed, you should be safe to move to LED bulbs. It’s not ideal, but it’s not the end of the world, either. If LED bulbs are an issue, other drivers will let you know. I moved to LED bulbs and got a few flashes. Then I lifted the front end and got a LOT of flashes. After recalibration, I’ve gone 1.5 years without getting flashed and visibility is night-and-day better than the stock halogens.

SPED1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator sport 2005 tj wrangler
Occupation
service & parts supervisor