First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Is this a great price for a 12,000 lb capable winch? Yeah, it's got wire not rope and no wireless remote but it SEEMS that for someone like me who will rarely use it, it's an excellent deal. What do you guys say?

I have the factory metal bumper and will need a winch mounting plate - whose do you recommend IF I buy this thing? Anything else I'd need to mount it/use it?
Sponsored

NoDoorsNoProblem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave, 2004 TJ Unlimited
I'd love to know too. Theres a dozen threads on "only use harbor freight for cheap disposable tools, or if you only want to use it once", and also threads with a lot of good reviews for the Badlands Apex winch. I'd like to see if anyone actually uses the ZXR and has good feedback. How different can the internals actually be between the ZXR and the Apex?

OP
OP

Dan in Pasadena

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
If I tell the REAL truth, I don't intend to ever do any serious offloading with my truck. I WILL take it off road but dirt roads at the lake to launch my boat or to get to a beach we will use for day camping by the lake. Some deep to very deep ruts but I won't intentionally climb rocks. Ain't beating the shit out of my expensive truck. But I could see helping someone out who gets stuck. I've done it before with my 2014 GMC 2500HD 4x4. It wasn't equipped with a winch but I had a tow strap and helped someone enough for them to regain traction.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
This is an outstanding winch at that price. I wouldn't say it's better than the higher end Smitty winches or Warn EVO or anything but it's a great unit that will hold up well enough to an occasional need.

glendawg1619

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Carpenter
I just picked it up and installed it today, worked fine so far spooling it up with a synthetic wire. might have to use it tomorrow in big bear

Sponsored

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
Dan, why get a winch if you are not really going to use it, save the money and weight on front end and spend it on a real nice upgraded front bumper without the winch, have a couple good tow straps and recovery gear to help the occansional stuck truck.
Being HONEST, I have to admit that getting a winch to meet the need of being able to take care of myself, and also access some trails that require winch to be allowed to access, has crossed my mind, but I don't do anything cheap and know it will affect my suspenion and ride....Jack

Jeep-A-Kneez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel, 1995 YJ 4.0
If throwing one on the front of your ride is what ya want, for whatever reason, then go for it. I would opt for a unit with wireless remote and they might have the ability to add that feature to that particular winch, do your research.

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Dan, why get a winch if you are not really going to use it, save the money and weight on front end and spend it on a real nice upgraded front bumper without the winch, have a couple good tow straps and recovery gear to help the occansional stuck truck.
Being HONEST, I have to admit that getting a winch to meet the need of being able to take care of myself, and also access some trails that require winch to be allowed to access, has crossed my mind, but I don't do anything cheap and know it will affect my suspenion and ride....Jack
I think his reasoning is enough to warrant one. Not like he’s spending thousands on RGB lights, replacement hoods, grilles, etc which serve no purpose.

I’m in the same boat as the OP. I don’t plan on getting myself stuck, but we do travel without another vehicle, sometimes to places outside of cell service - more over landing than rock crawling. I got a Warn EVO 10k, but I realize they aren’t cheap, even for being Warn’s entry level line.

Back to the topic at hand, this winch is probably fine for the intended purpose. And it still leaves room in the budget for the hundreds of dollars worth of accessories you need to actually make a winch useful - shackles, tree strap, snatch block, etc.

That all being said, I’d be wary of stressing it out and I’d try to use the snatch block as often as possible.

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
I think his reasoning is enough to warrant one. Not like he’s spending thousands on RGB lights, replacement hoods, grilles, etc which serve no purpose.

I’m in the same boat as the OP. I don’t plan on getting myself stuck, but we don’t travel without another vehicle, sometimes to places outside of cell service - more over landing than rock crawling. I got a Warn EVO 10k, but I realize they aren’t cheap, even for being Warn’s entry level line.

Back to the topic at hand, this winch is probably fine for the intended purpose. And it still leaves room in the budget for the hundreds of dollars worth of accessories you need to actually make a winch useful - shackles, tree strap, snatch block, etc.

That all being said, I’d be wary of stressing it out and I’d try to use the snatch block as often as possible.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Dan in Pasadena

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
....leaves room in the budget for the hundreds of dollars worth of accessories you need to actually make a winch useful - shackles, tree strap, snatch block, etc.
WHAT??? HUNDREDS of dollars more? Sounds like another reason NOT to get this winch. I don't need to spend that, especially now!

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
WHAT??? HUNDREDS of dollars more? That sounds like another reason NOT to get this winch. I don't need to spend that, especially now!
All of that is not required for someone with occasional use only if you chose to get it. I picked up a tree strap, tow strap, shackle, snatch block all for around $100. Granted they are not named brands. I think they would serve their purpose if needed. I do plan on replacing the snatch block with a pully wheel down the line but even then will look for sale My wife is going to sew me a couple of winch blankets using cheap leftover material, but even for that, you could just use a big towel or something you already have around your house. Just look for sales on Amazon, etc or even Harbor Freight when they put them on sale or give out a 20% off coupon. I did not buy them all at once but rather just piece here and there when a good deal came about. My Smittybuilt just got installed yesterday and it will only see occasional use (Once I get it pretensioned). It's already slotted to help me remove some tree's from my yard as well as I want it just in case when I start making more runs in the Sand down in South Texas. I could have used it earlier this year to help get someone out of the sand when the traction board broke as well as moved a big pile of brick pavers. None of those were expected but it sure would have been nice to have one.
Sponsored