Sponsored

Hard pull to the right after lift install

Geekjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport s
Hey everyone, helping someone problem solve an issue.

Here we go.

3.5 inch lift from one of the main high end well known companies. Its a full lift. Full 8 adjustable control arms, front and rear track bars, etc.
Same wheels and tires were on before lift. Tires are 37 inch bfg all terrain
Car tracked straight and fine before lift.

Since the lift, truck now has a hard pull to the right. Heres the kicker. Ive personally seen him take it to three different reputable shops in the general area. To try and help him out I was on the phone while he was at two of the shops and personally with him at one of the shops. I know the basics but by now means an expert, but will say between these shops, lifts is like their main business and this isnt my first time dealing with them.

All three shops have verified. Alignment is within spec and everything is installed correct. One shop even spent an 30 minutes measuring quite a few things.
I believe caster is at 5 and 5.2. I forgot what toe was but all said it was good. I'll try to get you photos of the alignment sheet, but frankly when three reputable places that specialize in lifted jeeps are saying its aligned. Im going to assume its not alignment.
We've also done the basics, swapped tires side to side, rotate, put on his old tires etc. doesnt change that much.
The steering stabilizer is stock
Tire psi is at 30 all around
both axles are centered. I think it was maybe .15 of an inch to the passenger side.
Springs have a slight outward bow to both of them.
Wheel bases on both sides are almost exact
both front tires are same distance from fender(meaning wheelbases are same and not equal side to side)

Assuming the alignment is where it should be and install was done correct. What are we missing? I've heard some guys say push the caster to 6 or higher but not sure how that would impact a pull. Im sure its something dumb but we are stumped
Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
Disconnect the steering stabilizer and take it for a drive.

OP
OP

Geekjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport s
Will do. Out of curiousity why would stock stabilizer cause the issue if it wasn’t touched?

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
When you lift a Jeep, the track bar pulls the front axle to the left. To fix it, you use an adjustable track bar and adjust it slightly longer than stock. This pulls the drag link to the right, so you lengthen it to recenter the steering wheel. Sometimes the stabilizer then pushes the drag link towards the right when driving resulting in a pull to the right. If that works, get an adjustable stabilizer. I prefer Falcon.

OP
OP

Geekjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport s
I will give it a go.
Any other ideas?

Sponsored

kickingaz

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon Diesel, 2018 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
Owner - New River Offroad
I will give it a go.
Any other ideas?
Put on a through shaft steering stabilizer (similar to the Fox or Falcon). The stock stabilizer has a push or pull effect where the through shaft ones are neutral.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Make sure the adjustable control arms are equal length and that one is not shorter than the other one...

OP
OP

Geekjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport s
Removing stock stabilizer did not change pull. Just drove it a few miles.
damn

OP
OP

Geekjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport s
Going to remeasure arms myself. My understanding is lower are same length but upper could be different. Am I correct?

Nate

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2019 Jeep Cherokee, 2018 Road King, 1996 Bronco
Occupation
Machinist
Make sure the adjustable control arms are equal length and that one is not shorter than the other one...

To go a step further with Alabama Mud Machine on this.... sometimes you have to shorten or lengthen the arms to correct issues with factory mounts that may be slightly out of position. I've heard some people having issues with and adjustable arms have fixed.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Geekjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport s
All front control arms are the same length. We just measured. All are within length of manufacturer specs

OP
OP

Geekjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport s
Front
Lower control arm 24.5
Upper control arm 20.3
both sides measured almost exact maybe a mm off or so.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
All front control arms are the same length. We just measured. All are within length of manufacturer specs
Manufacturer of the lift, or Mopar specs? Because if it's a 3.5" lift, and your control arms are set to factory Mopar specs (lengths), that's most-likely your issue. Your front axle is going to be way out of whack, and your steering geometry is going to be WAY off... That would mean your front axle is facing downward and not sitting flat (like factory) and it's trying to steer the tires downward into the asphalt as your turn, causing a dipping/digging of the tires downward instead of directly side-to-side, causing the pulling effect your getting.

OP
OP

Geekjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport s
Manufacturer of the lift, or Mopar specs? Because if it's a 3.5" lift, and your control arms are set to factory Mopar specs (lengths), that's most-likely your issue. Your front axle is going to be way out of whack, and your steering geometry is going to be WAY off... That would mean your front axle is facing downward and not sitting flat (like factory) and it's trying to steer the tires downward into the asphalt as your turn, causing a dipping/digging of the tires downward instead of directly side-to-side, causing the pulling effect your getting.
Sorry, to elaborate those are the specs on the LIFT manufacturers instructions for the 3.5 lift. Also if the control arms where grossly off we wouldnt be able to get the alignment specs correct. Long story short everything is within spec from the lift company.
Sponsored