Sponsored

Hard top on, doors off

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 ram 2500, 2017 JKU Sport
Something has been keeping me up at night.... lol. On my current 2017 JKU, most people know that if you run with the doors off and the hardtop on, you run the risk of blowing out your back window from the excess air pressure at highway speeds. Looking at the Gladiator, the rear hardtop window, it seems awfully small, as in not large enough to allow enough air to pass through to alleviate the pressure issue. I currently only run my soft top in the summer just so I can run with the doors off, back window out. Hoping I don’t have to buy the dual top option! Any thoughts from people smarter than me??
Sponsored

Ichthus

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gobi JTR, 20 Bikini Willys JLU, 18 GC Overland
Occupation
Pilot
3 JKU’s and 1 JK, and I’ve never really been concerned with how I run my top or doors...aside from what makes me comfortable at that moment.

Charlie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee WK CRD
Is this really an issue for people? I’ve never even thought of this to be an issue.

nerdridesbikes

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Chevy Colorado
used to always run with doors off, hardtop on, 07 JKU. multiple 75mph hour long runs on the highway with no issues.

Reactions: SKT

Sponsored

OP
OP
UscgretiredChief
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cool, I had always had the belief that it would blow out the back window, but thank for the feedback. It makes my decision easier, hardtop, core doors when they are released in the future. Thank you all!

OP
OP
UscgretiredChief
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just get the soft top and don’t worry about it
I live in northern Michigan, it’s cold as shit here in the winter, and I have rack plans for the hardtop. I like the hardtop/core doors solution, plus with the 3 young children it keeps things a little safer and easier.

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
I live in northern Michigan, it’s cold as shit here in the winter, and I have rack plans for the hardtop. I like the hardtop/core doors solution, plus with the 3 young children it keeps things a little safer and easier.
The hard top ain’t significantly more comfortable in cold weather than the soft top, and it’s definitely not any more safe. The core doors would worry me a lot more than a ragtop...

That said, if you absolutely have to have a roof rack that can support a minimal amount of weight, the hard top is your only choice. Personally I’m gonna go ahead and use the truck bed for that kind of stuff...

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Is it just me, or do we seem to get a lot of conspiracy theory-type threads on this forum? The “can’t haul plywood”, “tonneau won’t latch”, “60,000 government orders first”, now “back windows blow out”...what else?

Sponsored

Jeepznthingz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE GCM
Something has been keeping me up at night.... lol. On my current 2017 JKU, most people know that if you run with the doors off and the hardtop on, you run the risk of blowing out your back window from the excess air pressure at highway speeds. Looking at the Gladiator, the rear hardtop window, it seems awfully small, as in not large enough to allow enough air to pass through to alleviate the pressure issue. I currently only run my soft top in the summer just so I can run with the doors off, back window out. Hoping I don’t have to buy the dual top option! Any thoughts from people smarter than me??
The gladiator has a sliding window that opens, thus allowing air to pass through. No problems.

Jeepznthingz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE GCM
But the real story is that there was no problem to begin with...
I didn’t think so, but just trying to alleviate some fear.

billyjk7

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler JKU on 40s and Tons
I would think with the doors off and the back window not open you would get alot of buffeting. Just open the window as previously said and get that machine up to warp speed and enjoy

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladator Launch Edition | 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
I would think with the doors off and the back window not open you would get alot of buffeting. Just open the window as previously said and get that machine up to warp speed and enjoy
Make it so number 1!
Sponsored