Hard Top or Soft

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
As it get ever closer to being able to seriously start looking into making some sort of deal on an JT. I have pretty much settled on what I want if I can find it or may have to order one. But I am still so torn on the Top. To go Hard top or Soft top. I really want to go soft top to be able to take the top off during rides with ease and then close it back up. But living in South Texas the heat is on my mind. We are in early June and its already topping above 100 degrees with very little cloud cover. I am just concerned that the soft top will be like an oven during the June/July/August months when its hotter than hell here. The Hard top I could put a headliner in it to beat back the heat some. I don't have room for storage of two tops so its got to be one or the other. I have looked into the Best Top option but so wanted to get the truck to just pop the whole top on and off as quickly as I wanted.

All the other decisions about the truck were easy. I've been reading forum and youtube stuff as much as possible but still just back and forth on it.
Sponsored

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
I have the premium soft top and it doesn't seem any hotter, if as hot, inside when in the Vegas heat as compared to my JKU hard top.

Reactions: BAT

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
As it get ever closer to being able to seriously start looking into making some sort of deal on an JT. I have pretty much settled on what I want if I can find it or may have to order one. But I am still so torn on the Top. To go Hard top or Soft top. I really want to go soft top to be able to take the top off during rides with ease and then close it back up. But living in South Texas the heat is on my mind. We are in early June and its already topping above 100 degrees with very little cloud cover. I am just concerned that the soft top will be like an oven during the June/July/August months when its hotter than hell here. The Hard top I could put a headliner in it to beat back the heat some. I don't have room for storage of two tops so its got to be one or the other. I have looked into the Best Top option but so wanted to get the truck to just pop the whole top on and off as quickly as I wanted.

All the other decisions about the truck were easy. I've been reading forum and youtube stuff as much as possible but still just back and forth on it.

My advice would be think about the reasons you are getting the JT. If being a convertible is top on the list then go with the soft top. The hard top is just a PIA to deal with taking off and the freedom panels are kind of bulky and akward to store. So easy to take down. With the hard top also being black unless you pay extra for the color matching I can't imagine it staying that much cooler than the soft

Kind of a personal question but do you have kids? if so soft top is the only way so they can enjoy the JT as well!

I can't speak for the top being good in the heat though, because any day about 65 it has been off, lol. Even as it hit 90 today. Come to think of it, I have no clue if my AC even works I have never tried it, lol.

Nannook of the north

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport
I gotta say the AC works great in these. I'd vote soft top especially since you don't have to deal with much of a winter.

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU X, 1979 Tenth Anniversary Trans Am, 2020 Gobi Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I have the original fabric soft top for my Wrangler (although in recent years it has been stored because my overlanding configuration makes swapping the tops a huge chore). Even that less robust fabric worked well to keep me comfortable in winter and summer ...

Stanley Draper Lake near my Midwest City, OK, home ...
Jeep Gladiator Hard Top or Soft Jeep, Mar 10, 7987

Parked in front of my home. One of three times my hood was abused by hail. The soft top did just fine. The hood not so much ...
Jeep Gladiator Hard Top or Soft Hail Storm, May 10, 0004, Jee

Perhaps fortunately, I had the hard top on when we encountered this EF5 beast in Moore, OK ...
Jeep Gladiator Hard Top or Soft May 20th Tornado, May 13, 1842, F5 Tornado in Moore

So, I ordered my Gladiator with the premium soft top. No regrets.

In front of the Arcadia round barn along Rt 6 in Arcadia, OK ...
Jeep Gladiator Hard Top or Soft Gladiator, Nov 19, 5_3612, In Front of Arcadia Round Barn

Crossing Black Gap in Big Bend National Park, TX (a Jeep Badge of Honor trail) ...
Jeep Gladiator Hard Top or Soft Big Bend Explorations, Jan 20, 5_4579, Mark's Gladiator on Black Ga

Sponsored

double J

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator rubicon
I have both tops. I also have the bestop Sunrider for hardtop. If I had to do it over, I would just do the hardtop with bestop Sunrider for hardtop.

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
There are a lot of videos on youtube from owners, dealerships, and Jeep about installing, removing, and operating the hard and soft tops. Might help you decide. My hard top is in the basement and I agree that the "freedom" panels are quite bulky and heavy to deal with. If you take them off, what next? If you leave them home, you have a problem if it rains, etc. The Sunrider isn't cheap and still only exposes the front seat to sunshine. The premium soft top is about half the price of the hard top.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
I personally feel less of a desire to put the top down on these than in a Wrangler so I went hard top. Honestly I'd be happier with a 1-piece top that was a bit lighter weight and would still have bought if removing the top wasn't an option at all - I just wanted a small pickup with a solid front axle.

The wife's JL is absolutely going to be red, two doors, with a black soft top that will probably only be on the Jeep during monsoon season when we move to AZ.

jrb517

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow - Bright White, 2008 BMW 328i e93
Occupation
Software
If I were in TX, it wouldn't have been a question - Soft top for sure.

As soon as the nice weather hit, I regretted only getting the hard top. I like the idea of being able to flip the whole thing back in a few seconds. Having a little one at home means I likely won't be taking the entire hard top off any time soon, since it's our family vehicle. That being said, In the winter I would regret NOT having the hard top with heated rear glass. I definitely foresee a bestop sunrider in my future, or aftermarket soft top if someone ever steps up and makes one...

1OffCraz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
My JK had the hard top with Freedom panels, which were okay, but a bit of a pain.
I decided to go soft top on my JT for an easier impromptu topless ride.

Very glad I chose the soft top, as it's much more convenient than than the hard top, and the rear passengers can enjoy open air too. Also, the rear corner, and rear window removal is so easy, and optional.

Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I vote hard top, the soft top flipped back looks retarded and I really don't like the look of the soft tops on the JT's, just looks awkward. I can have my hard top off in 10 minutes or less, freedoms panels out 2 minutes or less. With a Bedcover you can store the freedom panels in the rear easily without messing them up, they fit perfect back there. The rear of the hard top only weighs about 20lbs, it's not like the JKU hardtop, it's really light, I am only 5ft 4 and I can pick it up and walk right off the bed of the truck carrying it and I'm lifted 2.5" on 35's. I just set it on the floor in the garage until I'm ready to put it back on. I got a soft top as well but it will never be used and it will never come out of the box it came in.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
There are a lot of videos on youtube from owners, dealerships, and Jeep about installing, removing, and operating the hard and soft tops. Might help you decide. My hard top is in the basement and I agree that the "freedom" panels are quite bulky and heavy to deal with. If you take them off, what next? If you leave them home, you have a problem if it rains, etc. The Sunrider isn't cheap and still only exposes the front seat to sunshine. The premium soft top is about half the price of the hard top.
They fit in the bed of the truck and won't slide around. I'm not sure what heavy is to some of you. The freedom panels are light and not heavy at all, I can literally remove them with one hand standing on the ground and I'm 5' 4".

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
I vote hard top, the soft top flipped back looks retarded and I really don't like the look of the soft tops on the JT's, just looks awkward. I can have my hard top off in 10 minutes or less, freedoms panels out 2 minutes or less. With a Bedcover you can store the freedom panels in the rear easily without messing them up, they fit perfect back there. The rear of the hard top only weighs about 20lbs, it's not like the JKU hardtop, it's really light, I am only 5ft 4 and I can pick it up and walk right off the bed of the truck carrying it and I'm lifted 2.5" on 35's. I just set it on the floor in the garage until I'm ready to put it back on. I got a soft top as well but it will never be used and it will never come out of the box it came in.
Yeah the man-bun look is really unflattering to these trucks. Looks just as bad on the JLU.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I have both tops. I also have the bestop Sunrider for hardtop. If I had to do it over, I would just do the hardtop with bestop Sunrider for hardtop.
That was my choice. Reasoning: 1. Switching between hard and soft top too much of a hassle to do regularly. 2. Limited storage space.

But this is a personal preference. I live in a hot, sunny area, so the body-color HT was an easy decision for me, well worth the extra $. (My JT will be white)

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator Sport S
Yeah the man-bun look is really unflattering to these trucks. Looks just as bad on the JLU.
Luckily we don't have to look at it while driving. I like the flexibility of being topless 95% of the time in the summer and not worry about a random rainstorm.
Sponsored