First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Jeep Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Truck Driver
I also got the Cover King Headliner. Quadratech had a flash sale & couldn't pass it up. Added some sound deadener too. Its much quieter & cooler! The 3M strips that came w/it weren't that great. I got a can of 3M HD spray adhesive/glue from Home Depot. My soft top that I used this past summer, made the interior hotter than the hardtop w/the headliner kit. Only downside is my Sirius cuts out a lot more now, so I use the ap off my phone. I also like the fact that it darkens the interior.
Sponsored

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Mojave, 20 Supra, 16 Wrangler UNLTD,
I also got the Cover King Headliner. Quadratech had a flash sale & couldn't pass it up. Added some sound deadener too. Its much quieter & cooler! The 3M strips that came w/it weren't that great. I got a can of 3M HD spray adhesive/glue from Home Depot. My soft top that I used this past summer, made the interior hotter than the hardtop w/the headliner kit. Only downside is my Sirius cuts out a lot more now, so I use the ap off my phone. I also like the fact that it darkens the interior.
Iā€™m pretty sure the Sirius antenna is in the sound bar on the passenger side. You donā€™t want to cover above it on the top wit tape or foil or it will impact your signal strength.

RodRecket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AEV JT370
I like the look of the cover king, but that being said, I went with hot heads headliner. AEV painted my top so the hot heads blend in really well. Installation is easy and they do a nice job of heat in the winter and noise reduction at highway speeds.

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iā€™m ā€˜transitioningā€™ from the Mopar to the Coverking. If you decide to go Mopar, Iā€™ll have one for sale as soon as I can time the install of the rear section with the weather and my schedule. Though being in Louisiana may make things difficult.
Mind if I ask why? I assume youā€™re not happy with the performanceā€¦.. care to compare the two?

JRODZ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Jeep Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Truck Driver
Yes you're correct. I saw that when I switched to the soft top. No biggie though, I use the ap on my phone for work too.

Sponsored

Viper501

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Sting Gray Mojave; 2020 Mercedes GLE
Occupation
Ninja
Mind if I ask why? I assume youā€™re not happy with the performanceā€¦.. care to compare the two?
The Mopar unit is fine for what it is, and the fact it was included in my purchase. However, I would not pay what Jeep wants for it now that Iā€™ve seen it and seen how it is constructed and installed. The coverage is nominal at best for the freedom panels. It is slightly better for the main portion of the top. However It has no sound deadening for the actual fiberglass. It is a thin cardboard-like panel that sits on the top of the fiberglass with Velcro fastening.

The Coverking on the other hand, when combined with a butyl rubber and aluminum foil mat, has much better sound deadening properties. On top of that it has better coverage of the white fiberglass as well. You can see how much more coverage there is in the pictures in my prior posts. It definitely gives a much more finished appearance than the Mopar panels. While it is true the majority of the increased sound benefits are very likely from the rubber and foil mat, the overall package is a winner.

I also like the price comparison since the Coverking is less expensive than the Mopar (esp. if you can find it on sale).

The PIA of the Coverking would be a) the wait for shipment and b) the install. Iā€™m still waiting on a bit of good weather so I can pull the top without having to worry about needing to drive topless for a day. The warm weather should also help with adhesion.

One thing I have not dealt with is the issue of the tape strips. I decided to use spray adhesive to do the install. It worked very well. I understand from others that the tape strips may not be adequate for some installations.

The Coverking installation instructions, and that is a very generous term, leave a lot to be desired. The video they provide a link to is informative but not instructive. It also fails to adequately show which pieces of tape go where. Yes, technically there is a ā€˜diagramā€™ shown in the video very briefly but it is the type of information that a company marketing to self-installers should include in a printout. Another issue is the lack of labeling on the actual pieces of tape.

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Mopar unit is fine for what it is, and the fact it was included in my purchase. However, I would not pay what Jeep wants for it now that Iā€™ve seen it and seen how it is constructed and installed. The coverage is nominal at best for the freedom panels. It is slightly better for the main portion of the top. However It has no sound deadening for the actual fiberglass. It is a thin cardboard-like panel that sits on the top of the fiberglass with Velcro fastening.

The Coverking on the other hand, when combined with a butyl rubber and aluminum foil mat, has much better sound deadening properties. On top of that it has better coverage of the white fiberglass as well. You can see how much more coverage there is in the pictures in my prior posts. It definitely gives a much more finished appearance than the Mopar panels. While it is true the majority of the increased sound benefits are very likely from the rubber and foil mat, the overall package is a winner.

I also like the price comparison since the Coverking is less expensive than the Mopar (esp. if you can find it on sale).

The PIA of the Coverking would be a) the wait for shipment and b) the install. Iā€™m still waiting on a bit of good weather so I can pull the top without having to worry about needing to drive topless for a day. The warm weather should also help with adhesion.

Did you notice any impact to your Sirius reception?

One thing I have not dealt with is the issue of the tape strips. I decided to use spray adhesive to do the install. It worked very well. I understand from others that the tape strips may not be adequate for some installations.

The Coverking installation instructions, and that is a very generous term, leave a lot to be desired. The video they provide a link to is informative but not instructive. It also fails to adequately show which pieces of tape go where. Yes, technically there is a ā€˜diagramā€™ shown in the video very briefly but it is the type of information that a company marketing to self-installers should include in a printout. Another issue is the lack of labeling on the actual pieces of tape.
Yeah, I read your install post. Definitely smart IMO going with the contact adhesive. That should make things quieter given the complete adhesion plus I bet it will be extremely unlikely to fall.

Wowed777

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Iā€™m ā€˜transitioningā€™ from the Mopar to the Coverking. If you decide to go Mopar, Iā€™ll have one for sale as soon as I can time the install of the rear section with the weather and my schedule. Though being in Louisiana may make things difficult.
Have you sold this? I would be interested.

49Gramps

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Retired Fire & EMS Dispatcher
Iā€™m pretty sure the Sirius antenna is in the sound bar on the passenger side. You donā€™t want to cover above it on the top wit tape or foil or it will impact your signal strength.
FYI--Hothead Headliners don't have any foil near the antenna.

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FYI--Hothead Headliners don't have any foil near the antenna.
Good to know, but I mentioned it also because some of the sound proofing matts appear to use foil as well.

Sponsored

49Gramps

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Retired Fire & EMS Dispatcher
Good to know, but I mentioned it also because some of the sound proofing matts appear to use foil as well.
Hothead's Sound Assasin strips, and probably most of your soundproofings, can be cut with either heavier scissors or a very sharp knife so you can put it how and where you'd like.

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hothead's Sound Assasin strips, and probably most of your soundproofings, can be cut with either heavier scissors or a very sharp knife so you can put it how and where you'd like.
Sure, I understand that. I was mentioning it to make folks aware that they need to be aware of any Foil installed on the roof interfering with the Sirius antenna And need to make sure they install it away from the antenae

marbs34

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 SG Mojave Gladiator, '21 D-Max Yukon
I have the Coverking liner kit on a black top. I use 90 mil NVX roll on sound deadener on the interior panels before adding the coverking headliner. Keep some extra 3M red double sided tape handy. and dont use any foil backed sound deadener around the immediate area where your XM antennae is located on the soundbar if you care about XM reception.

I measured (with the iphones built in microphone only) on a decibel meter app. vehicle driving at 70 mph. Before install, just the freedom panels, then complete with the rear, measured from the drivers head position.

Before installation: peak freq 37hz 88 dB max, 82 dB AVG
Just the Freedom panels: peak freq 53 hz 86 max, 81 avg
Whole roof deadened and coverking lined: peak freq 134 hz, 86 max, 82 avg (was a much more windy day with a headwind) then measured at the drivers A pillar where all the noise is coming from; 107 hz 86 max, 83 avg

In the same afternoon I was currious since the other measurements were on the way to work, I measured at 70 mph and then slowed down to 55 mph.
at 70 mph: 48 hz, 87 max, 83 avg
at 55 mph: 349 hz, 78 max, 73 avg.

The A pillars and windshield seem to be the culprit more than the roof for sound. The combo does wonders for Florida heat though and I still wouldn't do it differently if I had to do it again. I believe its the best solution. I may take down my windshield and try to add some dampening material to the frame next

briscoelab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTRD, 2021 JLUR, 2020 Gladiator LE
We have a factory MOPAR in our 202 LE, I put a Hoteheads in my 2021 JLUR, and a Hoteheads in our 2023 JTRD. They all were an improvement over a naked top. They all seem to work fine/about the same.

Get whatever you like or is on sale.

I also put the sound assign strips under them.

Now, putting some sound deadening on the floor plan will make a massive improvement in your quality of life when driving the jeep. Again here, brand doesn't matter. Just get something. We went with the foil backed stuff from Amazon and then a thin layer of foam padding on top of that. Night and day difference.

Do the headliner and the floor and you'll be a happy person!