Sponsored

Has anyone tapped into the camera input for the 7" Uconnect?

Eternity

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Diesel
I have an idea to add a Raspberry PI and a switch to go between the backup camera and the PI on the 7" Uconnect display. I would like to assume that the camera used on the 7" uses a somewhat standard signal. The display appears to be a 1080P resolution. If I found the connectors on Digikey and added a switch that could connect either the rear backup camera or a PI as the input to the head unit, I think that would be pretty cool. Could not only have all the functionality of a computer available (with a bluetooth mini keyboard/touchpad, GPS), but be able to cast from Android phone using GAIA maps. Also would like to then add a front camera through the PI so a DIY trail cam could be added to the 7"

Has anyone done anything like this? Any ideas or problems you know of? Does anyone know more of the technical side of the backup camera output?
Sponsored

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Could all of what you just decribed be done with a rooted Android device plugged into the stereo via usb?

MyGeekDaddy

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Overland Gladiator
Occupation
Engineer
The cameras on the JT use a standard video signal so the output from a RPi would work.

Following the thread so see how your project comes along.

FutureOdin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara
I was planning on using the front trail camera input on the back of the head unit to display video of an OBD gauges app from an RPi.

Z Automotive makes a kit to do it, but I was buying cheaper parts from Amazon to get it done: https://www.zautomotive.com/product/z_hdmi_kit_a/

What did you buy so far to split off of the back up camera?

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
Subscribed, would love to cast gaia or back country navigator to the 7" screen. You thinking full size Pi or a pi Zero?

Sponsored

Terry

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Private Investigator
Vehicle Showcase
I was planning on using the front trail camera input on the back of the head unit to display video of an OBD gauges app from an RPi.

Z Automotive makes a kit to do it, but I was buying cheaper parts from Amazon to get it done: https://www.zautomotive.com/product/z_hdmi_kit_a/

What did you buy so far to split off of the back up camera?
I've been planning to do nothing and leave the thing alone. But then,that's just me.....

OP
OP
Eternity

Eternity

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Diesel
Thanks for input so far. I think this could be really nice to have and will try. My Willys is another week away from delivery, so I can't start yet, but plan to soon. Preordering a ton of stuff.

I have a lot of versions of the PI's. I tend to get one each time a new version comes out. I might start with a cheaper and older version first, since the work load won't be much.

Here are my thoughts....
1) find the right male/female connectors that are currently used for the rear camera plugging into the head unit on Digikey. They tend to have just about every possible item ever made. Purchase both male/female connectors so I can simply unplug the rear camera and send the video wiring through a 2-position switch. This way, when I select the rear camera, I have a switch that would either show the camera or show the PI
2) Probably have a switch for turning the PI on and off. Don't need it running all the time and using power. Looking into some switch boxes from S-Tech
3) WIll most likely get a USB GPS module to the antenna can be placed wherever...
4) Get a replace rear backup camera and use it front facing. This will ensure it is the right resolution and compatible in case the 8.4 is slightly different for some reason.
5) If I head the route of a front camera, that will be a video input to the PI (don't know if the input is analog like MyGeekDaddy suggests, but it is, I would input the video to the PI perhaps using a USB A-D adapter and need a video mirroring software, which shouldn't be impossible to find). Then the exact same wheel path overlay should appear and be useable from a trail cam...might have to play around a bit to find the exact right location to mount the camera, angle, etc...to the wheel paths match what actually will happens.

I will take some time this summer to work it out and hopefully be able to give a list or package that works. If others head down this path, please share what you find.

FutureOdin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara
I believe the backup camera is just a pin on the large connector at the back of the head unit, it's not a separate plug. You'd have to de-pin that particular input, pin on a new connector, add a new piece of wire, pin that back into the head unit. Not extremely hard to do, but just got to buy the correct pins.

If you use the front-facing camera input that is already available on the head unit, it'll only be 480p resolution.

This guy added a video input on the front-facing camera input, to use with an Apple TV. Yes, he's in a Durango, but the Uconnect 8.4" head unit is the same.

https://www.dodgedurango.net/threads/installing-appletv-on-uconnect-8-4an-aux-video-input.24268/

OP
OP
Eternity

Eternity

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Diesel
Well, there's the catch. The 7 doesn't have a front-facing camera input. Unless everything I read is wrong....only the 8.4 has a second input for front camera. That is why I hope to use a second rear-camera but face it forward, flip the image using software and have the added benefit of a computer. Hoping the rear camera is more than 480, but that is fine if it is.

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
maybe poke around the for sale section and see if you can find a pulled 7", use it as a bench test unit then when done put it up for sale to recoup cost?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Eternity

Eternity

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Diesel
Not overly concerned about damaging the head unit as the only thing I will be doing is interrupting the analog video input. Seems to be a fairly low risk. If I blow it up (which should be highly unlikely in a ruggedized device), I then buy another unit. That is the absolutely worst-case scenario, however. Not sure it is worth it to me to buy one to test and then sell. Seems like it could be even more difficult to test, activate, etc...when not plugged into the vehicle. Just my way of looking at it. Others may consider that a higher risk than me.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
The front camera input that z-automotive uses is only 480 for the resolution. Not ideal for this project here probably. Not sure about the OEM one, but somebody on here went through hell to get that enabled on on his, and like somebody else mentioned it might not be available on the 7.

If you blow yours up, or even now one of the aftermarket ones (I think insaine auto) is normal android based and might give you more out of the box options. Like you could VNC to the the pi allowing full touchscreen support.

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I see you point, wasn't worried about blowing it up, more of the wear/tear/jeep down time of opening up the jeep trim to kept taping into it, or leaving the trim off or radio out while working on the project and not having the jeep set for use while you are working out a solution.

Seems there is a market for the 7" units all the sport guys buy a base model with a 5" then wish for something a touch bigger.

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@eaglerugby04
i have considered one of those Chinese head units like hizpo or something but not sure how it would interface with all the inter connectivity of the jeep and how all the jeep stats/input can be shown on the screen.

OP
OP
Eternity

Eternity

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Diesel
It could be that my initial proposal is not explained well.

The only thing I plan to do to touch the default configuration on my 7" Uconnect unit is to interrupt the signal from the rear camera, and put in a different analog signal from a PI (which could be set to match). The PI would also be connected to a second Mopar rear camera (think the whole thing is about $180), but I would instead mount that camera facing forward and in the front grill. Same camera. Same output and rez. Flip the image using sofware on the PI.

This is all analog (so it appears), which carries a lot less potential for harm in ruggedized head units like you find in vehicles and certainly the Jeep. So, I'm not hacking or tapping into the head unit. Just switching the video source that will come in the single rear camera input to the head unit.....kinda like the old video RCA switches we used to have between VCR, TV, Cable to choose the source of video to the TV...back in the day.
Sponsored