Sponsored

Hauling ATV in bed

kostik76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Hi,
I finally was able to put my ATV in bed :). This is sportsman 500 (1999). Front tires (stock) were snug between wheel wells. You can see where rear ended up . I did not drive it anywhere yet as the hunting season is on and i have the ATV at the property.
I was worried about the tail gate capacity but I assumed the number was for dynamic limit not static.

Can you share any tips and howtos related to driving with the load and how to better secure it. Also any information about ramps you are using. I found Mad ramps which look cool but are not cheap and too much carrying involved to setup/take down

kcTHZZXFqtrCx51n7PMkZSHfNq3_eT_00lL__Ys79aXnSzo807cw_-Yx9P6mbla2tck9Yuy2PYCgL2kHG1=w1250-h937-no.jpg

kcTHZZXFqtrCx51n7PMkZSHfNq3_eT_00lL__Ys79aXnSzo807cw_-Yx9P6mbla2tck9Yuy2PYCgL2kHG1=w1250-h937-no.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
kostik76

kostik76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
i used to hall my nearly identical ATV in my Fullsize 79 chevy truck and had to have the tailgate down as well. But it worked out because I could just put the ramps underneath the atv. :D
My buddy is in the same boat with Silverado. 5ft bed is a 5 ft bed

88mmm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland, 911 TT
I did the same with my ATV but I was able to put the tailgate in the mid position as a brace. Then strapped corner to corner, good to go.

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
Na, the new Silverado short bed is actually 69" long. Looks like ATV would have fit and at min not had that much weight on tailgate. As far as midsizes go, the Taco and GM twins do have the 6' beds as well.

Sponsored

OP
OP
kostik76

kostik76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Na, the new Silverado short bed is actually 69" long. Looks like ATV would have fit and at min not had that much weight on tailgate. As far as midsizes go, the Taco and GM twins do have the 6' beds as well.
Taco with manual is not available with big bed. My friend's Silverado measures few inches longer than Gladiator so his wheels are on the crack between bed and gate where mine are a little aft. Any case it fits and I am happy with that. Although my kids now want their own ATVs so in some feature i will need to tow something behind :-(

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
@kostik76, can you tell me the width of your buggy? I have a Honda Foreman; sure would be nice if I could get it in the bed of a JT. As an aside, I recently bought a Pioneer 500; a nifty 50" side by side. It will do until I (hopefully) get a JT. Perhaps the JT will haul the Foreman in the bed and the P500 on a small trailer. Might be a bit much; should be close. Anyway, thanks much for this post.

OP
OP
kostik76

kostik76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
@kostik76, can you tell me the width of your buggy? I have a Honda Foreman; sure would be nice if I could get it in the bed of a JT. As an aside, I recently bought a Pioneer 500; a nifty 50" side by side. It will do until I (hopefully) get a JT. Perhaps the JT will haul the Foreman in the bed and the P500 on a small trailer. Might be a bit much; should be close. Anyway, thanks much for this post.
a wider ATV would fit just check the gate opening as your guide. I did see and considered mad ramps to keep more space available in the bed when hauling an ATV. I am a little confused by load spec on JT with manual as i would have roughly 400lb on the receiver. "The 2000 Polaris Sportsman 500 ATV has a length of 81 inches, a height of 47 inches and a width of 46 inches. It has 11 inches of ground clearance, the wheel base is 50.5 inches and the total weight comes to 697 pounds."

giskard

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 BMW i3s
I have the mad ramps and they worked pretty well last summer on my Colorado even with my Polaris Ace (weighs about 900 lb). I will be trying them on my Gladiator at some point. First step is to actually get my Gladiator (window sticker showed up this week, so should be getting close ...)

OP
OP
kostik76

kostik76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I have the mad ramps and they worked pretty well last summer on my Colorado even with my Polaris Ace (weighs about 900 lb). I will be trying them on my Gladiator at some point. First step is to actually get my Gladiator (window sticker showed up this week, so should be getting close ...)
This is very useful. I think weight limits on receiver are about the same between the 2. I am considering mad ramps as a better investment considering the value they offer. but want to see if i can find a used set. money is always tight :)

Sponsored

giskard

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 BMW i3s
This is very useful. I think weight limits on receiver are about the same between the 2. I am considering mad ramps as a better investment considering the value they offer. but want to see if i can find a used set. money is always tight :)
Yeah, they aren’t cheap that’s for sure. High quality product though. I’m not too worried about the receiver hitch. It’s just a lot of weight sitting far back so it will be interesting to see if the front feels too light on the Rubicon JT. Like I said it felt fine with my Colorado so I think they’ll work with the JT. Worst case they can be used as a ramp to get an ATV all the way in the bed, though my Ace is 48” wide so the front tires would have to be over the wheel wells.

OP
OP
kostik76

kostik76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Yeah, they aren’t cheap that’s for sure. High quality product though. I’m not too worried about the receiver hitch. It’s just a lot of weight sitting far back so it will be interesting to see if the front feels too light on the Rubicon JT. Like I said it felt fine with my Colorado so I think they’ll work with the JT. Worst case they can be used as a ramp to get an ATV all the way in the bed, though my Ace is 48” wide so the front tires would have to be over the wheel wells.
on JT these are fairly low so you are not going to raise the front of the ATV too high. maybe easier to tie down :)

giskard

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 BMW i3s