have to slam door to close

ShikGluon

First Name
Zaza
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon 2020 Punk'n
Ever since day one, I've noticed I need to slam the driver side door to close it. My brother would just make fun of me and say I'm weak, but the more I close the other doors normally, it makes me think something is wrong with it.

Has anyone else had this issue?
Sponsored

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
My JK is the same, you just get used to it.

Edit: I think it is due to the doors being relatively light (for ease of removal).

OP
OP
ShikGluon

ShikGluon

First Name
Zaza
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Edit: I think it is due to the doors being relatively light (for ease of removal).
Okay, cool. Do all your doors do that? Or just the driver door?

salvino

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GC Trailhawk/ 2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE
Occupation
Finance Guy
Vehicle Showcase

Light and tight. Try opening the window. I bet it'll close easier. My JT did that but it has gotten a little easier over time.

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
Okay, cool. Do all your doors do that? Or just the driver door?
My JK is a 2-door, but both doors need a little more effort to close (certainly more than my car). The back gate is easier, even with the spare mounted on a swing-away carrier.

Sponsored

arosen1997

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
LAV Turret Technician
Edit: quoted wrong post, meant to quote OP not the first reply.
My girlfriend has this issue with the front passenger door on mine. I always tease her and tell her quit slamming my new doors but it literally will not close for her unless she slams it. I don't have this problem, my brother's don't, and none of my other friends do. It's pretty weird but sounds similar to what you're saying you have a problem with.

MrJeep

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Rubicon, 2020 Gobi JT Overland
I have this issue that got worse when I put sill guards in. I thought it was because I'm spoiled by the soft autoclose doors in our other car. We got used to it though.
It's most annoying when you don't notice and put it in gear and it gets mad and puts you in park.

Choj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU Rubicon
That's how all the doors on my JKUR close. Have to tell other passengers to try again every time they go to close the door.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
It's like this on Wrangler/Gladiator by design. They seal the doors to keep water out. As a result, there's an abnormally high amount of air pressure when you try to close the door.

Try leaving just a very small sliver of the window rolled down. 1/16" of an inch maybe. Just enough that you can barely see daylight. That'll release enough air that the doors will close like any other vehicle.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
It's like this on Wrangler/Gladiator by design. They seal the doors to keep water out. As a result, there's an abnormally high amount of air pressure when you try to close the door.

Try leaving just a very small sliver of the window rolled down. 1/16" of an inch maybe. Just enough that you can barely see daylight. That'll release enough air that the doors will close like any other vehicle.
I have that issue with my SX4 - all new weatherstrip and gaskets. I have to leave a window down a crack.
However I made it better by spending more time on door striker and hinge adjustment. It still closes better, and the sound is more like a new car sound with things properly aligned, but the window open a tad and it always closes perfect.

BUT - on my JT it's ONLY the right front door that's that way. My wife has to really slam it.
The rear doors and left front - nope, they close fine.
I have opened and closed all 4 door many times over the last couple of months and it's only the right front that's a problem.
It even SOUNDS different when it closes. It's a striker adjustment issue. I can feel the difference in that one door when I close it compared to the others, the sound is different, it's different when it opens. Hard to explain, but if you pay attention, it's just different.
I've run into that with cars and trucks over the years - sometimes they have to be tweaked once they've been used a bit and high spots wear off of pins and bushings, or they were just at the edge of being correct from the factory and a little use means they have to be adjusted again.

Hard to imagine a vehicle with removable roof panels, sliding rear window, removable roof, thin doors and such would be sealed better than a small car with no removable panels, especially when we are talking air escaping, not water getting in.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ShikGluon

ShikGluon

First Name
Zaza
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have this issue that got worse when I put sill guards in. I thought it was because I'm spoiled by the soft autoclose doors in our other car. We got used to it though.
It's most annoying when you don't notice and put it in gear and it gets mad and puts you in park.
HAHA! I've done this a couple of times now. It only seems to do this if going in reverse.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Hard to imagine a vehicle with removable roof panels, sliding rear window, removable roof, thin doors and such would be sealed better than a small car with no removable panels, especially when we are talking air escaping, not water getting in.
Yeah I know, but we're talking about air moving rapidly and those water tight seals just bottle it up. I had a 2011 and 2012 JKU that both were the exact same way. My 2018 JLU was too. It's a Jeep thing. Takes a lot of getting used to. I still to this day have to shut my door two or three times when I get in. :CWL:

Digger70

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Altitude
Hahaha when I got my first JK it was so annoying having to slam the door. I had read on the wrangler forums about the air pressure and it did close easier when the top was off. The JT is better although there are times where I forget and casually try to close it and it doesn't and have to push it harder. And about every time I have a passenger I have to tell them to open and shut the door again.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I know, but we're talking about air moving rapidly and those water tight seals just bottle it up. I had a 2011 and 2012 JKU that both were the exact same way. My 2018 JLU was too. It's a Jeep thing. Takes a lot of getting used to. I still to this day have to shut my door two or three times when I get in. :CWL:
With mine it is ONLY the right front door - and the sound is even different. I plan on doing the adjustment myself. If it was any other door, I might agree, but when it's only one, and it's got a different sound, it's not just a jeep thing.
Sponsored