Sponsored

Help a newbie out with a winch question - which one?

Winch Choice for a newbie

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BamaJeepTruck

Banned
Banned
First Name
Reinhardt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
  • Banned
So I am completely new at off-roading and don't have anyone currently to hit some trails with so I'd like the backup of having a winch for self recovery. I am looking towards a Warn VR EVO but have a some questions. I obviously don't want to burn money, but I also know buy once cry once. A Warn 8,000 pound steel cable is on Quadratec for $504, upgrade to synthetic line and it jumps to $704. The same line Warn 10k winch with steel line is $579 or $766 with synthetic. Question is for someone who rarely will use it, is the 8k adequate? Also is the synthetic line really worth that initial investment? I'm leaning towards the 10k steel but I'm a man who can admit his shortcomings and I know y'all can give much better insight. I would consider other brands, but I don't want to be the fool paying MPG's to cart around an 80 lb brick on my front bumper only to have it fail the one time I actually need it. Any and all opinions welcome. Thanks. Poll open for 10 days.
Sponsored

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
So I am completely new at off-roading and don't have anyone currently to hit some trails with so I'd like the backup of having a winch for self recovery. I am looking towards a Warn VR EVO but have a some questions. I obviously don't want to burn money, but I also know buy once cry once. A Warn 8,000 pound steel cable is on Quadratec for $504, upgrade to synthetic line and it jumps to $704. The same line Warn 10k winch with steel line is $579 or $766 with synthetic. Question is for someone who rarely will use it, is the 8k adequate? Also is the synthetic line really worth that initial investment? I'm leaning towards the 10k steel but I'm a man who can admit his shortcomings and I know y'all can give much better insight. I would consider other brands, but I don't want to be the fool paying MPG's to cart around an 80 lb brick on my front bumper only to have it fail the one time I actually need it. Any and all opinions welcome. Thanks. Poll open for 10 days.
Same as you being I am getting ready to change my front bumper and add winch finally. Not something I will use a lot but figure since I am changing the bumper, etc I just as well go ahead and install winch same time. I don't know much on winches other than what I have been reading in the forums and other places. I think for me I am going to go with a 10K synthetic which should be ample enough for my possible uses while saving me some weight over the steel cable. Plus I am on the beach and coast a lot so don't want to have to worry about rusting cables from salt. Brand is another matter. Warn seems to be the favorite but could get something like a Smittybuilt for less and they seem to get good review.

OP
OP
BamaJeepTruck

BamaJeepTruck

Banned
Banned
First Name
Reinhardt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
Same as you being I am getting ready to change my front bumper and add winch finally. Not something I will use a lot but figure since I am changing the bumper, etc I just as well go ahead and install winch same time. I don't know much on winches other than what I have been reading in the forums and other places. I think for me I am going to go with a 10K synthetic which should be ample enough for my possible uses while saving me some weight over the steel cable. Plus I am on the beach and coast a lot so don't want to have to worry about rusting cables from salt. Brand is another matter. Warn seems to be the favorite but could get something like a Smittybuilt for less and they seem to get good review.
Yeah the reviews are good for most of what I see out there. What worries me is people justifying their choice through reviews. Not too many people are willing to say they made the wrong choice and are looking to confirm their decision. That's why I'm asking here. The VR Evo and the Smitty don't seem that different in price, but again I know so little about the subject matter. Thanks for the reply, I hadn't considered the rust aspect of the steel line. That may sway me to synthetic!

Dakotaz

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Sales
Personally I purchased the SmittyBilt Gen 3 steel cable. Good reviews. Keep in mind rope is safer if it breaks they say and can repaired in the field supposedly. Also is that model Warn the USA or China version? If China I would compare it to the one above. Bought it hope to never use it...

mellendic

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
revkit.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT Security Researcher
Personally I purchased the SmittyBilt Gen 3 steel cable. Good reviews. Keep in mind rope is safer if it breaks they say and can repaired in the field supposedly. Also is that model Warn the USA or China version? If China I would compare it to the one above. Bought it hope to never use it...
Rope can absolutely be fixed in the field, it is not rocket science there are a ton of videos on this. Steel is heavy in an awkward place. soft shackes and rope are much safer than d-rings and steel cable, and a traction board might be as good or better for you if alone. Syn rope needs to be kept clean, but basically so does steel. I was told by a bunch of grey beards in offroading this "but a smittybuilt if you never need or want to use your winch, buy a warn if you want it if/when you need it. There are thousands of OHVs out there that have winches that have never pulled rope... they need to be used regularly (monthly) even just to test, to keep the gears and the like in good shape. There is work if you own a winch that you want to use.

Sponsored

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
if the winch is going to live on the bumper I would stick with steel. Syth rope will break down and get weaker with age as it lives outdoors and is exposed to weather. If it's never used, you won't notice the break down until you need it and it breaks. I would start with steel, and if you find yourself using it a lot and the weight and flexibility is a issue then switch to syth. The weight of steel is less relevant if the winch is a permeant mount. What's an extra 30 lbs on a 6k truck?

For the 80 dollar upgrade I would just go bigger. I would also pick up a recover kit with some pullies, these can be used to double the pull force of the winch.

I have a XD9000 warn in a cradle that I add and remove as needed. I keep it off the XJ when not wheeling. It has a steel cable and it's a little heavy but it's manage. If I had to replace the cable due to damage I would go syth just to make the winch lighter when I add or remove it.

If you are not in a hurry Craigslist is a good place for winches, I paid 600 bucks for a almost new xd9000 with cradle, now they want 1600 new :surprised:

OP
OP
BamaJeepTruck

BamaJeepTruck

Banned
Banned
First Name
Reinhardt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
if the winch is going to live on the bumper I would stick with steel. Syth rope will break down and get weaker with age as it lives outdoors and is exposed to weather. If it's never used, you won't notice the break down until you need it and it breaks. I would start with steel, and if you find yourself using it a lot and the weight and flexibility is a issue then switch to syth. The weight of steel is less relevant if the winch is a permeant mount. What's an extra 30 lbs on a 6k truck?

For the 80 dollar upgrade I would just go bigger. I would also pick up a recover kit with some pullies, these can be used to double the pull force of the winch.

I have a XD9000 warn in a cradle that I add and remove as needed. I keep it off the XJ when not wheeling. It has a steel cable and it's a little heavy but it's manage. If I had to replace the cable due to damage I would go syth just to make the winch lighter when I add or remove it.

If you are not in a hurry Craigslist is a good place for winches, I paid 600 bucks for a almost new xd9000 with cradle, now they want 1600 new :surprised:
A lot of good info, thanks. It is going to live on the bumper so perhaps that's the way to go. That's an amazing deal you got. I'll keep my eyes peeled on there for sure. Gotta get the winch capable bumper first anyhow.

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Synth can be impacted a lot by dirt and mud, also UV. Steel lines can also rust and weaken. But between the two if you were going to carry a spare line for a big weekend excursion, carrying a spare synth rope is easier.

if the winch sits recessed into the bumper it also helps with the UV exposure and dirt/debris. If you were seriously concerned you could come up with an extra plate guard.

Last edited:

Sponsored

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
Just my opinion here, but I don't get the guys that have permeant winch mounts and then daily drive the rigs, are you going to get stuck in the walmart parking lot? That is a lot of wear and tear on expensive tool that is rarely used. That is why I prefer cradle mount. It lives in the garage when not needed and on the jeep when off in the outback.

I am hoping as teh JT ages there will be more aftermarket bumpers with a 2" receiver integrated.

Once I get my JT I will be fabbing up a 2" receiver and plate, I can mount between the frame rails so I can continue to add and remove the winch as needed.

OP
OP
BamaJeepTruck

BamaJeepTruck

Banned
Banned
First Name
Reinhardt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just my opinion here, but I don't get the guys that have permeant winch mounts and then daily drive the rigs, are you going to get stuck in the walmart parking lot? That is a lot of wear and tear on expensive tool that is rarely used. That is why I prefer cradle mount. It lives in the garage when not needed and on the jeep when off in the outback.

I am hoping as teh JT ages there will be more aftermarket bumpers with a 2" receiver integrated.

Once I get my JT I will be fabbing up a 2" receiver and plate, I can mount between the frame rails so I can continue to add and remove the winch as needed.
Definitely something to consider. Thanks!

GEETCH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Occupation
Navy
Vehicle Showcase
Here is my .2 : i went with a Smittybuilt X20 12k with synthetic rope. The reasons, it was rated and reviewed as a good winch, water proof and wired/wireless remote and it was a fraction of what i could find a Warn for. I went with a synthetic rope because it is lighter and safer than cable, when cable breaks it whips and cuts through anything in its path, synthetic more or less falls when it breaks, however any line of any material under tension is always hazardous and requires diligence and safety precautions when being used.

as far as going for a 8k,vs 10 or 12k, that is a personal preference. just be aware of the following: what ever you are stuck in will add resistance especially mud and snow, as the cable or rope is spooled and more wraps are on the drum the less pulling power the winch has, this can be mitigated by using snatch blocks, if used properly not only can you adjust angle of pull but can double the pulling power of the winch, example, snatch block placed directly IN front of vehicle with line from winch to block 180 degree back to bumper will give a 8k winch a 16k pull.

also to note, ensure all recovery gear can withstand the type of pressures, the snatch block for example or the shackles, if you get a 8k winch ensure the blocks shackles straps etc. can withstand a minimum of double that.

ovs-recovery-techniques_2.jpg

warn-tabor-12k-page12.png

winch line.jpg