HELP! Choppy Shifting?

XJ2JTChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S on 35's, Mopar 2" lift, `96 XJ, 97 ZJ, `99 Camaro LS1
I have posted about this issue too, as well as been to the service dept for it, along with other issues.

It's driving me crazy that some people say this trans is great and well known for smooth shifting, but I get the one that shifts worse than a rookie manual driver. Lol. So I have described it(as well as my passengers have) mostly on braking, it downshifts and revs up the rpm so much that everyones heads buck forward, ever....single....gear it downshifts to. Any speed, almost any time. More often than not when I'm going down a hill. I baby the jeep, almost seems to happen more when driving easy....as opposed to hard braking and acceleration. When I'm in traffic or any stop and go situation it's very obnoxious. Also during acceleration the power seems to be very inconsistent....like it's hesitating in gears(but it's fine if i accelerate hard). I too have been told it will learn my habbits, but I think something's up. I have 1600 miles on it. Some have said it's normal for the max tow package, but again I've heard from other max tow owners that say theirs shifts smooth too.
Sponsored

Oscar Indy

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Fluid level? I havent heard of it yet on Jeep but Toyota is notoriously shitty about filling the transmission to the right level.

windyridge89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Stingray Gladiator Maxtow
Hmm I will check out the fluid today just to see.

windyridge89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Stingray Gladiator Maxtow
I have posted about this issue too, as well as been to the service dept for it, along with other issues.

It's driving me crazy that some people say this trans is great and well known for smooth shifting, but I get the one that shifts worse than a rookie manual driver. Lol. So I have described it(as well as my passengers have) mostly on braking, it downshifts and revs up the rpm so much that everyones heads buck forward, ever....single....gear it downshifts to. Any speed, almost any time. More often than not when I'm going down a hill. I baby the jeep, almost seems to happen more when driving easy....as opposed to hard braking and acceleration. When I'm in traffic or any stop and go situation it's very obnoxious. Also during acceleration the power seems to be very inconsistent....like it's hesitating in gears(but it's fine if i accelerate hard). I too have been told it will learn my habbits, but I think something's up. I have 1600 miles on it. Some have said it's normal for the max tow package, but again I've heard from other max tow owners that say theirs shifts smooth too.
My issues dont seem to be as severe and if the dealer hasn't helped you at all... idk not looking good

XJ2JTChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S on 35's, Mopar 2" lift, `96 XJ, 97 ZJ, `99 Camaro LS1
Oh, well I'm happy for you that yours isn't as severe. Good luck with it, I'll post up whatever the service dept says regardless just in case it can be helpful info to you too.

Sponsored

BaconAndBullets

First Name
Jonathon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Have a 2020 gladiator, same issue with rough shifting, someone told me it was the new paring of the 3.6 engine and the transmission but I’m not sure. I don’t know for sure but it might just be a rougher natural shift than what I’m used to on a wrangler.

JT202006

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2006 Jeep Wrangler
I brought mine in for this issue, it was shifting so poorly it was honestly difficult to drive/safety concern. They found a Tranmission Control Module update and updated mine from "68437962AF to current part number 68437962AG" and also re-flashed it. It helped a lot but still has some issues at random times, definitely worth the time to visit the dealer. Had this done about 2 weeks ago and it seems to be maintaining the better shifting.

JT202006

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2006 Jeep Wrangler
I brought mine in for this issue, it was shifting so poorly it was honestly difficult to drive/safety concern. They found a Tranmission Control Module update and updated mine from "68437962AF to current part number 68437962AG" and also re-flashed it. It helped a lot but still has some issues at random times, definitely worth the time to visit the dealer. Had this done about 2 weeks ago and it seems to be maintaining the better shifting.
Update: After about 300 miles symptoms are back.....

This makes me think it has to be software

JWGladiator

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave; 2020 BMW X7; 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Update: After about 300 miles symptoms are back.....

This makes me think it has to be software
Any update on this? I had the same issues this weekend as described in this post. Weird shifting, especially when going up and down hills at low speeds (20-45 mph) and actually when at a light at a decline the engine revved while I was coming to a stop and I had to slam on the brakes to avoid hitting the stopped car in front of me. I have 500 miles on mine.

MrZappo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Computer Consultant
Have a 2020 gladiator, same issue with rough shifting, someone told me it was the new paring of the 3.6 engine and the transmission but I’m not sure. I don’t know for sure but it might just be a rougher natural shift than what I’m used to on a wrangler.
All have that pairing ... I think that all JL's have it too ...

Mine is extremely smooth ... I think that statement is incorrect ...

Sponsored

IHCDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
My 2020 likes to stay in lower gears way to long i think. Maybe i'm just not use to an 8 speed auto.

IHCDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Have you had any change or learned anything about your rough shifting? I am less than a week into ownership and would also say the shifting is not right. In my case the rough shifts are almost always in the low gears coasting to a stop with little to no brake pressure applied. I have had shuddering, hard shifts, and a few times it has lurched forward while decelerating. It seems slow on upshifts under 35 mph. When I stop accelerating it feels like the brake is being applied as speed drops rapidly. I would expect an automatic to have more of a feeling of coasting when not accelerating or braking.
Mine does the same thing too.
Sponsored