Sponsored

Help decide between CB radios

SleepyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper S, Firecracker Red Gladiator LE
I am torn between these two CB radios:

https://www.rightchannelradios.com/collections/galaxy-cb-radios/products/galaxy-dx-959-cb-radio

OR

https://www.rightchannelradios.com/collections/cobra-cb-radios/products/cobra-29-lx-max

The reviews on the Cobra are somewhat horrible but I do like the bells and whistles LOL

Please help me decide, or any other CB radio recommendations are welcome? I did purchase the Quadratec CB antenna kit that is pretuned from firestik:

https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadrat...-cb-antenna-kit-jeep-wrangler-jl-gladiator-jt

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

treefrog

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'n Gladiator and a DR6fiddy
Occupation
Retired US Army.
The question I would ask you is, where are you planning on mounting it?
I just got my Gladiator and haven't put my CB in it yet, but I have been running the same Cobra 75 WX ST since 2005. Space has never been an issue with it.
The only problem I have had with it is I blew out the factory speaker. The was more of an issue with running naked at interstate speeds than a fault with the CB though. I just run a little auxiliary speaker zip tied to the roll bar behind the driver's headrest and haven't worried about it.
It may not have all of the bells and whistles, but it works just fine.
I'll get it mounted in the Gladiator soon enough though and it will live on.
Just another option to consider.

OP
OP
SleepyJeep

SleepyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The question I would ask you is, where are you planning on mounting it?
I just got my Gladiator and haven't put my CB in it yet, but I have been running the same Cobra 75 WX ST since 2005. Space has never been an issue with it.
The only problem I have had with it is I blew out the factory speaker. The was more of an issue with running naked at interstate speeds than a fault with the CB though. I just run a little auxiliary speaker zip tied to the roll bar behind the driver's headrest and haven't worried about it.
It may not have all of the bells and whistles, but it works just fine.
I'll get it mounted in the Gladiator soon enough though and it will live on.
Just another option to consider.
I bought the CB Bar from way a life. So I will have plenty of room to install it. It basically goes on the top a bar across the roof and it sits in front of the rear view mirror. For some reason, that link is blocked here but if you Google "way a life cb bar" you will see what I have purchased.

Jowen

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Rubicon Cherokee an x2 2020 jt rubicon
I use the cobra cb with all hand held controls, glass mount on rear window, works for me.

IMG_20190807_163703.jpg

IMG_20190807_163801.jpg

IMG_20190807_163734.jpg

Sponsored

Uparms

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT, 2020 JT, 72 CJ5,2005 LJ, 2002 TJ, 92 YJ
Vehicle Showcase
I am torn between these two CB radios:

https://www.rightchannelradios.com/collections/galaxy-cb-radios/products/galaxy-dx-959-cb-radio

OR

https://www.rightchannelradios.com/collections/cobra-cb-radios/products/cobra-29-lx-max

The reviews on the Cobra are somewhat horrible but I do like the bells and whistles LOL

Please help me decide, or any other CB radio recommendations are welcome? I did purchase the Quadratec CB antenna kit that is pretuned from firestik:

https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadrat...-cb-antenna-kit-jeep-wrangler-jl-gladiator-jt

Thanks in advance!
President Andy. President Bill if you wan't a real small device. The Andy has weather and can be tuned. The Bill has weather and is stuck at 4 watts output.

Sizes, Price and Amazon stars, as well as Amazon percentages in A or B grades on a scale of ABCDF

President Andy 4.92 W x 1.77 H x 6.89 D Weather and can peak /tune it, $79.00 5 stars, 95%AB

Midland 1001 - 4.5'' W x 1.75'' H x 7.5'' D Weather and can peak /tune it, 64.00 4 stars, 70% AB

Uniden pro510XL 4 1/2" W x 1 3/8 H x 6 ¾ D. Can peak /tune it, NO weather $33.00 4 stars, 74% AB

Uniden Pro520XL 4 1/2" W x 1 3/8 H x 6 ¾ D. Can peak /tune it, No weather $43.00, 4.5 stars, 79% AB

President Bill 4in W x 1in H x 4in D Weather, Can't peak/tune it $89.00 4.5 stars, 87% AB

President Johnny 4.92 x 1.77 x 5.91 Yes Weather, can peak /tune it, $104.00 4 stars 76% AB

Oscar Indy

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR
I'm shocked people are still paying such high prices for AM radios when a 20 dollar handheld FM massively out preforms them.
He'll my entire mobile setup and a GMRS license is cheaper than just that CB

m

OP
OP
SleepyJeep

SleepyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm shocked people are still paying such high prices for AM radios when a 20 dollar handheld FM massively out preforms them.
He'll my entire mobile setup and a GMRS license is cheaper than just that CB

m
Sadly, that's true. I feel like technology hasn't really caught up to the CB radios or they just haven't improved it enough because there is not much demand for it. I was looking for something with a nice flat screen that would do everything and is out of the way after installation. Regarding price, we are spending so much on customizing our JTs what is another $100 :CWL:. I had to decide between President Bill/Andy and the Cobra 75 LX Max and went with the Cobra... I am almost done installing it LOL.

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase