Not open for further replies.

RacerX00

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Escape, 2008 VW GTI
I used to know exactly which truck I wanted, then a year passed and Ford's decent offering took a front seat with the Tremor. I know it's not a Raptor but I'm also not too keen on spending $70,000 for the smallest class of truck you can buy in the US. (also it doesn't exactly exist yet)

I love everything about the Tremor, it's a lot of what I would do aftermarket + it has those damn cool aux switches and angry but properly subdued accents (without gfx package obviously).

I'm feeling like right now I spend $45,000 on a decked out Ranger Tremor and make myself as happy as if I had a Gladiator, but $20,000 richer (over similarly equipped JTR) without feeling like I'm rolling around in an unfinished symphony constantly wanting to upgrade.

For some reason I look at the Tremor as a complete, small, perfect little truck and a Gladiator as a blank canvas. I know some people here gotta feel the same way even if it's illogical.

So, what are my reasons for wanting a JTR over a Ranger Tremor? I'm having a hard time making $20,000 price difference make sense.

Edit: Let's get the obvious out of the way, I don't need a front locker. I off-road probably more than 95% of the people here who don't go to off-road parks and I've needed a front locker a total of 0 times. If a road is even slightly engineered for actual vehicular use, our trucks are stupid capable and the front locker is a pretty damn expensive thing to not really ever need. Even if you're in those off-road parks, if we're honest.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Have you ever owned a Jeep Wrangler or CJ? There's just something about driving one (to include the Gladiator) with the top and/or doors off which doesn't compare to regular trucks/cars. If you're looking for the more comfortable/refined ride, go with the Ranger. If you want to work on it, build it up, cruise with the top/doors off, or offroad it, go with the Jeep. They defy logic. You're on a Jeep forum though, so...

am1978

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Homebrewer
Go ride in the Ranger and ride in the JT and compare the quality of the interior construction and then consider the exterior. Unless you go with a loaded F150 you’ll see the cheapness Ford applies to their vehicles under $50K. I owned an 2012 F150 FX4OR, beautiful vehicle in and out, sold it in late 2018 for $19K. I don’t think your Ranger would old that value. The JT will feel well built and hold its value. Now, if you said you were getting a Bison then I would say it’s not too shabby.

OP
OP

RacerX00

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have you ever owned a Jeep Wrangler or CJ? There's just something about driving one (to include the Gladiator) with the top and/or doors off which doesn't compare to regular trucks/cars. If you're looking for the more comfortable/refined ride, go with the Ranger. If you want to work on it, build it up, cruise with the top/doors off, or offroad it, go with the Jeep. They defy logic. You're on a Jeep forum though, so...
That's not the convincing argument I was looking for. The lifestyle advantages to owning a Jeep are the obvious reasons to consider it at a potentially inferior value.

I dunno man, I'm getting old and if I'm honest I haven't been truly offroad since I had kids (oldest is 13 now).

Frankly I'm convinced the 'right' car is a Ridgeline but I also gotta be seen driving the thing ;)

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
if you special order a Mojave through a few select dealers it’ll ridge much better than the ranger and cost the same. you Can get the aux switches you’re so fond of.

my diesel is a better truck than any other midsize and I stand by that assessment

Sponsored

OP
OP

RacerX00

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Go ride in the Ranger and ride in the JT and compare the quality of the interior construction and then consider the exterior. Unless you go with a loaded F150 you’ll see the cheapness Ford applies to their vehicles under $50K. I owned an 2012 F150 FX4OR, beautiful vehicle in and out, sold it in late 2018 for $19K. I don’t think your Ranger would old that value. The JT will feel well built and hold its value. Now, if you said you were getting a Bison then I would say it’s not too shabby.
I've been in both, haven't driven a Tremor but I have driven a 2021 4x4 Ranger Lariat at the dealer (can't remember what sticker Ford had on the tail). Frankly I thought the handling "problems" people speak about of the Ranger to be way overstated and I expect them to get better with the Tremor based on reviews.

Also I'd say Jeep's interior is more fun and interesting. I don't know about "better" per say. Better looking. I feel like if you're buying a mid-light truck and you're a dash stroker you're bound to be disappointed no matter what.

JTBurns

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Not sure it really needs to be $20k in difference between that and a Rubi. Pretty sure you can have a decently optioned Rubi for 10k in difference and it'll be a much more fun and capable truck. Again you cannot take the roof and doors off the Ranger and that's big for me.

I have a Sport and absolutely love it. Well before I bought, I considered a ranger because I was more aware they were coming back out and didn't know about the gladiator until I saw one, and knew instantly that was the truck I was getting.

Whenever I see a ranger on the road, I can't help but think that driver bought the wrong truck. YMMV

jeepin48

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland 3.0L
Occupation
Engineer
So if you don't need a locker than don't get a rubicon and you can have a loaded Overland for under $50. Much better incentives on Overland vs none for rubicon and mojave.

You will get better resale value, a convertible, and TONS of aftermarket parts at your choosing.

OHH and you get to be part of the cool kid club. ;)

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
People love the ecoboom meme (which is Ford's fault for using the same moniker on every engine) but the 2.3L is a fantastic little engine with gobs of power that will put the Gladiator to shame. It's seriously not even close and if I were picking a truck for mostly street duty, I'd be driving an FX4 right now. Ford has a comparable payload to the JT Max Tow at every trim level, the option for a 6' box, and it rides/handles considerably better.

But as you said, the Gladiator is a blank canvas and has a much higher headroom for capability. That was my priority in this purchase so here I am. Whether that's important to you is only defined by you but frankly, the Tacoma or Ranger are by far easier to live for the average consumer. Just plan on re-gearing a Tacoma because otherwise the AT will drive you insane.

Frankly I'm convinced the 'right' car is a Ridgeline but I also gotta be seen driving the thing ;)
This right here tells me you don't need a Rubicon. If you did, the Ridgeline wouldn't even be on the radar. If you want it to show off then it's your money but the Max Tow package is 90% of a Rubicon at a price point that leaves a nice stack of cash in your pocket for wheels, tires, lift, and whatever else you need. JTR take-offs are abundant.

Sponsored

BamaJeepTruck

Banned
Banned
First Name
Reinhardt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
If the locker isn't something you need then why go rubicon? I got the "Trac-lok" rear on my Sport S that seems to work pretty well. I was out he door well under $40K. Threw on the the Rubi wheels for another grand. I used to bleed Ford blue myself, but that Ranger just seems so strange looking to me. Maybe its the euro roots it has but the styling is so feminine compared to the rest of the Ford truck line.

MonkeySkunks

First Name
Nik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2016 Odyssey
The reason I'm not driving a range right now, besides a few more concrete/practical reasons, is how fugly they are. Instead of making the ranger it's own thing they shrank an already arguably ugly F150 and then made it fatter and rounder somehow. It almost looks like a Previa that someone chopped the back off of. Maybe it isn't that bad but I do think it's a really ugly truck. Very similar to the Ridgeline. If you like how it looks then the biggest reason I lost interest in them is overcome.

Another option I was considering, which isn't all together practical, was going with the new Bronco. With the rubberized interior and fold down rear seats it may have as much space as the JT bed if your truck needs aren't as demanding or as often. I was waiting to see one in person to do some measuring but I gave up on it when they decided to not actually sell the bronco.

unsocbl

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willys Eco-diesel
I had 2019 Ranger XLT and a 2019 Honda Ridgeline...very similiar trucks. Absoliutely no soul! But, other than that, they're vehicles that do what they should :)

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
That's not the convincing argument I was looking for. The lifestyle advantages to owning a Jeep are the obvious reasons to consider it at a potentially inferior value.

I dunno man, I'm getting old and if I'm honest I haven't been truly offroad since I had kids (oldest is 13 now).

I’m not here to convince you do do anything, but your kids will probably LOVE 4wheeling. My 13 year old goes with me all the time, and my 17 year old is getting better at driving off road.

A247771E-F88B-4F2F-80EC-85FAAA99DA4B.png

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There are a few reasons to get a Jeep.

1) you want to take the roof and/or doors off.
2) you want to rock crawl - its hard to beat solid axle articulation.
3) you want that special jeep feel. Complete with death wobble and lane wandering. ;-)

If the Ford puts a smile on your face, then save the $20k. Its certainly going to be
1) faster and with the 2.3L and a tune, you are pushing 375 hp and 450 ft-lbs of torque
2) easier to live with as a daily driver
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.