Sponsored

Help me spend some money! Building a Gladiator... what model to start with?

PetePetePete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Freedom... looking at a Gladiator...
Must haves:
Manual Trans
Hard Top
Sunrider Flip Top
Bedliner
Hard triple foldback bed cover
Tow Package

Strong "would like"
LED headlights/package (I have it on the JL Freedom and love them).

We do off-road on occasion. Towing a lightweight trailer (2500lbs) on occasion

I'll amend here as things come to my mind.

I love the Rubicon for "value" but... open to others.

Many thanks!
Sponsored

Matts4313

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Max Tow
Must haves:
Manual Trans
Hard Top
Sunrider Flip Top
Bedliner
Tow Package

Strong "would like"

Many thanks!
Technically all of the models are just add ons to a sport, aside from the Mojave which I think uses a different frame (could be wrong). If you arent going to do rock crawling, just start with a sport and add those features listed. If you want the more capable off roading and panache, go rubi.

These things are like legos, you can add any feature you want. Its all a matter of what you need and how much you want to spend. I wouldnt get so caught up on "models" though - a lot of that is just marketing.

Matts4313

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Max Tow
Just to add though, what ever you do, stick with a manual. That way you cant go Max Tow.

Max Tow is a very selective group and based on the Texas Trail thread, im not sure you meet the requirements.

(im joking, no offense intended!)

OP
OP

PetePetePete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Love the comments. No offense at all.

I was skeptical that there’d be any real replies. Lol.

No offense. Lol

Sponsored

Rummie

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.siestakeyrum.com
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '24 Model X Plaid
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Rum
Vehicle Showcase
I would move the LEDs to the must have. Factory or after-market, you should definitely consider them. Base Jeep lights suck.

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
Love the comments. No offense at all.

I was skeptical that there’d be any real replies. Lol.

No offense. Lol
What wasn't real about the reply? If you were already looking at the Rubi, would be nice to know what things are making you question it. From there, a better answer can be given. So far your "must-haves" can be added to virtually any Gladiator.
Are you no longer looking at a Rubicon? If you're questioning the Rubi, what's holding you back from it?

ThatStinging_Jeep

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon In Sting Gray
Vehicle Showcase
I would move the LEDs to the must have. Factory or after-market, you should definitely consider them. Base Jeep lights suck.
agreed,i already knew i didnt want the oem led's,so i went with some oracle front headlights,and in the future im gonna buy the flush mounted tail lights once i break my stock tail lights offroad

Edit- Either do that or just buy em once i get some more money............cause im no millionare,but hey if anyone out there would shed some id take it from ya and share it :LOL:

ThatStinging_Jeep

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon In Sting Gray
Vehicle Showcase
Must haves:
Manual Trans
Hard Top
Sunrider Flip Top
Bedliner
Tow Package

Strong "would like"

Many thanks!
if you mainly do towing and slight offroading id really just keep it stock if it was a rubicon,simply cause of the stronger axles with the manual,cause im really surprised to see how capable my truck was stock,sure i was 2-3 wheeling on some parts but it aint no toyota tacoma to were its tipping on like a 6 inch rock,cause ive experienced that already,

Id really only do like a 2.5 inch leveling kit by metalcloak in the front and a set of 1-1.5 inch rear lift springs and do some fox shocks all around and slap a set of either 35's or even 37's and bigger if you aren't towing all the time

And if you are concerned about the lift in the front it should sag a little if you plan to add a winch,bumper and all that awesome jazz :D

Sponsored

OP
OP

PetePetePete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks guys,

In the end when you start adding the items on the list the rubi is a pretty good pick. The 8.4 is standard… andvthebrubi us far more capable.

I will say the Mohave is pretty interesting too…

Definitely fun stuff!

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Technically all of the models are just add ons to a sport, aside from the Mojave which I think uses a different frame (could be wrong). If you arent going to do rock crawling, just start with a sport and add those features listed. If you want the more capable off roading and panache, go rubi.

These things are like legos, you can add any feature you want. Its all a matter of what you need and how much you want to spend. I wouldnt get so caught up on "models" though - a lot of that is just marketing.
The biggest exception to this is that if you want factory leather, you can't get that on a Sport.

I wanted the factory leather as opposed to the Katzkin leather because the factory leather gives you leather on the dash, center console and door panels.

Think of the Overland as a Sport S with a bit fancier interior and the ability to get leather, along with 18" wheels.

The Rubicon and Mojave both have mechanical bits you can't get on any other model.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have an acquaintance that wanted a bit more of a "truck" look but didn't do much off roading. he got a luxed out Overland and added 285/75-18 tires to the stock rims. It looks great and he saved a bit over getting a Rubicon.

He doesn't have lockers or a quick disconnect sway bar. But that's not a big deal for him.

OP
OP

PetePetePete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The biggest exception to this is that if you want factory leather, you can't get that on a Sport.

I wanted the factory leather as opposed to the Katzkin leather because the factory leather gives you leather on the dash, center console and door panels.

Think of the Overland as a Sport S with a bit fancier interior and the ability to get leather, along with 18" wheels.

The Rubicon and Mojave both have mechanical bits you can't get on any other model.
And you can't get certain things on the 80th... and it goes on an on. You really have to study the build sheets carefully. One thing I learned: Don't come here and ask. You get your ass handed to you in pieces. LOL.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One other way to do "what ifs" is with the online configurator.

Though that won't be totally useful until they update it with '22 data.
Sponsored