murdoughnut

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Chevrolet Traverse, 2019 Subaru Outback
Long time reader, first time poster.

I'm looking to purchase a Gladiator in the next 12-months. Have done quite a bit of research on this site and elsewhere. Basically it comes down to a very finely tuned Venn diagram - I had YJs when I was younger and loved them, but I really need a pickup at this stage in my life.

Here's how I intend to use the car:
  • Mostly commuting to work
  • Off-roading rarely - and when I do, it won't be intensive
  • Want to be able to tow a 3,100 lbs travel trailer (and associated stuff)
  • Will have wife and two seven year-olds riding along on road trips
Other considerations
  • I'm not a fan of the look of the car with the stock tire size - I'll either want to buy one with larger tires, or purchase them separately
  • I don't really care one way or the other about the interior - cloth seats and smaller screen are fine by me
So the options I've been investigating are either to buy a Sport (or Sport S, it's not clear to me what the difference is) with stock tires and replace them on my own with a larger tire (that will fit), or get a Rubicon. The max tow option on the Sport would obviously give me more towing capacity, but perhaps the Rubicon's 7k lbs is just fine for what I'm looking to tow. Lots of options for Rubicons with great wheels which would keep me from having to buy my own, but that probably means a premium compared to refitting a Sport and selling the stock tires.

Any thoughts would be appreciated - thanks!
Sponsored

TRI-JAB

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Samson-'20 Gladiator,'07 BMW Z4,'22 BMW M340 xDriv
Build Thread
Link
I went with a Rubicon because I wanted more features. If you are not after those features, get the Sport with the Max Tow package and pick up a set up Rubicon Wheels/tires for your new JT from someone on here selling their original set.

Being in NC, I definitely recommend giving Travis at Tri-City a call. A significant number of us bought there and got the best price.

OP
OP

murdoughnut

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I went with a Rubicon because I wanted more features. If you are not after those features, get the Sport with the Max Tow package and pick up a set up Rubicon Wheels/tires for your new JT from someone on here selling their original set.

Being in NC, I definitely recommend giving Travis at Tri-City a call. A significant number of us bought there and got the best price.
Thanks! Is there anything in the Rubi features that would make on-road driving remarkably better than the Sport? Any difference in noise, or handling on icy or wet roads?

TRI-JAB

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Samson-'20 Gladiator,'07 BMW Z4,'22 BMW M340 xDriv
Build Thread
Link
Thanks! Is there anything in the Rubi features that would make on-road driving remarkably better than the Sport? Any difference in noise, or handling on icy or wet roads?
I am definitely not the expert - there are plenty of the forum that could provide better insight into the difference in specs. However, the suspension on the Rubicon is definitely different. The fenders are mounted higher on the Rubicon to give more wheel clearance for off road driving. Rubicon comes stock with rock rails plus locking front and rear differentials and electronic front sway bar disconnect.

As far as noise and handling on icy/wet roads - I can't think of anything that would have an impact comparing stock models of each.

XJ2JTChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S on 35's, Mopar 2" lift, `96 XJ, 97 ZJ, `99 Camaro LS1
I went with Sport S, and it sounds like you may be in the same boat. Don't quote me on this one but I believe the base sport might not even have power windows? The "S" upgrade definitely does though, plus I wanted to get the axles that came with the max tow package. I hate technology in cars, so a Rubicon would have been a $10,000 extra waste of money for me for the features I don't care about (big screen, bad driver assist features, etc etc). Even without the max tow package, it sounds like you can still do what you want for that type of towing. However, for the cost of adding it on....I felt it was a no-brainer to have the extra features (4.10's, better cooling and alternator as well). As for the tires, I just put 35's on mine with aftermarket rims. If you won't be wheeling much, i'd stick to maybe a Rubicon takeoff rim/tire deal, or just get the aftermarket rim of your liking and wrap it in the same size as the rubicon (285/70-17). The gearing that comes with the max tow package will be perfect for that size tire. Stick with an all terrain to save yourself the humming on the highway from something like an M/T.

Sponsored

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
Welcome to the forum!
If you haven't tried it already, Jeep has a nice 'build your own Gladiator' online tool here:
https://www.jeep.com/bmo.gladiator....cle=gladiator&vehiclePage=gladiator&year=2020

You can see the differences in options by choosing the Sport/Overland/Rubicon & they have a basic description of the options too.
You seem to be focusing on things that you can see on your truck (not a 'car' ;) ) but there are a lot of really great safety options you might be interested too. We can't really tell you what you want, but if you're a bare-bones type of guy, a Sport (manual windows) or a SportS (PW) with a levelling kit and some nice wheels & tires might be the ticket.
Easier for you to ask us about specific things -

OP
OP

murdoughnut

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I went with Sport S, and it sounds like you may be in the same boat. Don't quote me on this one but I believe the base sport might not even have power windows? The "S" upgrade definitely does though, plus I wanted to get the axles that came with the max tow package. I hate technology in cars, so a Rubicon would have been a $10,000 extra waste of money for me for the features I don't care about (big screen, bad driver assist features, etc etc). Even without the max tow package, it sounds like you can still do what you want for that type of towing. However, for the cost of adding it on....I felt it was a no-brainer to have the extra features (4.10's, better cooling and alternator as well). As for the tires, I just put 35's on mine with aftermarket rims. If you won't be wheeling much, i'd stick to maybe a Rubicon takeoff rim/tire deal, or just get the aftermarket rim of your liking and wrap it in the same size as the rubicon (285/70-17). The gearing that comes with the max tow package will be perfect for that size tire. Stick with an all terrain to save yourself the humming on the highway from something like an M/T.
I'm the same way when it comes to technology. In fact, I would prefer non-power windows for the simple reason that power windows are usually the first thing to break in a car.

XJ2JTChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm the same way when it comes to technology. In fact, I would prefer non-power windows for the simple reason that power windows are usually the first thing to break in a car.
HAH This is a Jeep, there will be FAR more things to break before the power windows go. haha. I kid.....kind of. Not really. lol

OP
OP

murdoughnut

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HAH This is a Jeep, there will be FAR more things to break before the power windows go. haha. I kid.....kind of. Not really. lol
With my last YJ ('95), the LAST thing to break was the rear view mirror. Fell off randomly while it was sitting in my driveway. Heard it hit the floor (I had pulled the carpet up so it hit metal) from my couch. Turned it in for the "cash for clunkers" rebate a few days later.

Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Get the Sport S with the power windows and locks. With a wife and small kids in the equation, it is going to wear thin doing the reach around to unlock doors and beating into your kids brains to make sure they remember to lock it when getting out. I know it is first world problems but the wife will appreciate those creature comforts. also.

If you are still stuck on a base Sport with manual windows, you might also want to sit in one beforehand and make sure the window crank position is not going to bother you on long drives. It is right in the area where one's knees like to rest and lay against.

MarineHawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I hate technology in cars, so a Rubicon would have been a $10,000 extra waste of money for me for the features I don't care about (big screen, bad driver assist features, etc etc).
Not saying the OP should consider a Rubicon for his needs. But, just to clarify, I got a JTR with the small screen and no driver assist thingy for $45K.

XJ2JTChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I got a JTR with the small screen and no driver assist thingy for $45K.
I was VERY tempted to do this....got a quote for right around that same number for a bare bones Rubicon. Considering I will be off roading and snow wheeling, it was beyond tempting. But my Sport S was still under 38k so I figured i'd stick to the savings....there's always great resale value on trade, will give me an excuse to get a brand new JTR in a few years when my Sport S looses its new car smell, or lets me down on the trails. Haha.
Sponsored