Sponsored

Help with Rough Country Quad POD White DRL install wiring - Have OEM Aux switches

Snake Eyes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sport S Max Tow, 2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
I decided to get the complex wiring lights with my first time ever wiring.

Ihave quad cube plus DRL which means double blue, double white etc.

have read what everyone has here and also looked at a ton of online videos. After I cut the switch and fuse off the harness, it leaves mutiple color wires.

Anyone have the wiring what goes where and what to use to combine the like wires together and then to the aug wires??

Also, Do I need to use 2 aux switches so that one is for DRL and one for full use? I can ground the black. Any help would be great.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Snake Eyes

Snake Eyes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes. That thread just stops without ever reaching actual answers as the poster was trying to wire in under the passenger footwell which makes no sense to run it through the firewall and into there from the engine bay and the persion helping him wired one to the 40 aux (switch 1) and one to the 15 aux (switch 3) which totally makes no sense at all to me unless there is something I am not catching..

and I have seen the video but he runs the wires to an ML-C6 with different connectors and not the aux on the other side. I search Rough Country pod, Rough country lights, Rough country quad, etc in the forum. Most just stop without getting to the end point of actual install. The videos have generally done a wiring to a custom light connector in the bay, run the Rough Coutry switch into the cab, etc or not done the quad light in combination with the DRL with both going into aux, etc.

My big questions are:

There are two blue, two white and multiple black wires after you cut off the rocker and fuse

1. Do I use the two 15 aux’s for blue and white (one for blue and one for white) with black to ground and then just cut off the other black and the red.
2. Do I combine the blues together before wiring to aux 3 (same question for white wires)
3. What type of connectors do I use to combine the blues together (as well as whites) so that it can then be connected to the aux wire

Last edited:

cuellar13

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 RAM, 2021 Bronco Big Bend, 1966 GMC Stepside
Occupation
Director of Recruitment for Pharma/Biotech/Device Consulting Firm
A pic of the overall layout of the wires would be helpful. I don't own those lights, so I don't have a point of reference. In the end, you need a power wire and a ground for each light, if you're gonna use aux switches. How many wires are coming out of each individual light?

cuellar13

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
At 11:20 in the video that's on the thread I posted above, the the whites are paired together, the blues are paired together, and then there's the ground. If your lights are the same set up, then I would use the connector of your choice (butt connectors, solder/shrink tube, spades, etc.- I like the butt connectors that you heat up and they solder the wires together) to pair the blues together on one side of the connector, and the other side to one of the aux wires. Do the same with the white, and obviously connect the black to ground. One Aux switch will run the LEDs and the other will run the DRLs. Full disclaimer, without seeing it, it's difficult to know how yours are wired.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Snake Eyes

Snake Eyes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
At 11:20 in the video that's on the thread I posted above, the the whites are paired together, the blues are paired together, and then there's the ground. If your lights are the same set up, then I would use the connector of your choice (butt connectors, solder/shrink tube, spades, etc.- I like the butt connectors that you heat up and they solder the wires together) to pair the blues together on one side of the connector, and the other side to one of the aux wires. Do the same with the white, and obviously connect the black to ground. One Aux switch will run the LEDs and the other will run the DRLs. Full disclaimer, without seeing it, it's difficult to know how yours are wired.
Thanks. That makes sense and gives me a start. I will post some pics once I get everything laid out this weekend.

OP
OP
Snake Eyes

Snake Eyes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OK. MAkes sense. Attached is a picture of the wires for just ONE HALF of the set of the quad lights. That means I will have double in the end compared to the video. IT is a quad light kit they sell with a quad light bracket.

(https://www.extremeterrain.com/roug...s-white-drl-quad-led-light-pod-kit-70824.html)

In the end I will have 4 black, 4 white and 4 blue wires. The other red and black get cut off.

Big Question: What kind of butt connector is big enough to take 4 wires to 1? I need to wire 4 blue to one aux switch and 4 white to the other and then I will ground black.

1E911DA4-56E1-43F3-B25F-4F8D300C6DDE.jpeg

cuellar13

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Technically, you could connect a male spade and lead wire to all of the wire pairings that you already have. That would cut the number of wires down to 2, going to each Aux wire. Then I bet a blue butt connector would be large enough to go two wires on one side, and the other side would connect to Aux. Just not sure about how much power and draw those have/need, so make sure you use appropriate gauge wiring, fuses, etc. Make sure that all of your power wire connections are insulated/taped up so they don't accidentally ground out- that includes spade connectors. Here's basically what I would be looking at. Again, full disclaimer, I can't be certain without being there, nor do I have first hand experience with those particular lights:

Jeep Gladiator Help with Rough Country Quad POD White DRL install wiring - Have OEM Aux switches tempImageeocbRd

OP
OP
Snake Eyes

Snake Eyes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Technically, you could connect a male spade and lead wire to all of the wire pairings that you already have. That would cut the number of wires down to 2, going to each Aux wire. Then I bet a blue butt connector would be large enough to go two wires on one side, and the other side would connect to Aux. Just not sure about how much power and draw those have/need, so make sure you use appropriate gauge wiring, fuses, etc. Make sure that all of your power wire connections are insulated/taped up so they don't accidentally ground out- that includes spade connectors. Here's basically what I would be looking at. Again, full disclaimer, I can't be certain without being there, nor do I have first hand experience with those particular lights:

Jeep Gladiator Help with Rough Country Quad POD White DRL install wiring - Have OEM Aux switches tempImageeocbRd
Thanks! That totally makes sense. I have been racking my head on this one. Much appreciated!!!

cuellar13

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

Sponsored

OP
OP
Snake Eyes

Snake Eyes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

cuellar13

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Quick thought….instead of using spades how about using three 2-1 connectors, such as below diagram?

Jeep Gladiator Help with Rough Country Quad POD White DRL install wiring - Have OEM Aux switches 3BF432EA-941C-491D-B317-B226DF3A42A9

Jeep Gladiator Help with Rough Country Quad POD White DRL install wiring - Have OEM Aux switches 3BF432EA-941C-491D-B317-B226DF3A42A9
That's probably the route that I would go, honestly. I just mentioned the spades since you already had some females on the ends of the paired wires, to keep your wiring time down.

OP
OP
Snake Eyes

Snake Eyes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's probably the route that I would go, honestly. I just mentioned the spades since you already had some females on the ends of the paired wires, to keep your wiring time down.
Thanks! I appreciate your suggestion to reduce the work! And also reviewing what plans are. You have been a great help! Now to go do the work! When I am done I will post you a pic since you helped so much!

cuellar13

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thanks! I appreciate your suggestion to reduce the work! And also reviewing what plans are. You have been a great help! Now to go do the work! When I am done I will post you a pic since you helped so much!
No problem- look forward to seeing the finished product!

OP
OP
Snake Eyes

Snake Eyes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No problem- look forward to seeing the finished product!
ok! all done! i used standard blue butt connectors . i did not need a 2-1 connector. the two wires fit in fine on one side and o the single wire side i doubled over and then twisted the wire. used 6 total connectors. Aux 3 is drl and Aux 4 is main lights. came out perfect!

DCB86065-2937-4BBA-99F8-1ED8E1815D2C.jpeg

946508E2-564A-42D6-9896-6A115824DD1F.jpeg

7F76537C-E766-4726-A2CF-95F75574FE96.jpeg
Sponsored