First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Caretaker to various super cars
Occupation
Sales
Good Morning All! I tried to search for my issue, but only found M/T owners who had similar experiences. Every time, no matter transmission temperature, road grade, ambient temperature, etc, my transmission in 3rd gear, right at 2k rpm, bogs, hesitates, then clunks and is good to go. I have tried to keep an eye on the tach to see if the RPM's fluctuate but if they do, it is not a measurable fluctuation. I have a service set for this Friday, but wanted to have my expectations in line prior to going in, has anyone else experienced this? What was the issue and fix if so?

Edit to add: 2023, 8AT, 2450 Miles but this began around 400.
Sponsored

hakoda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport S MaxTow
2022 maxtow - I have the same thing. 12k miles but feel like its been doing it a little while and I haven't noticed until more recently. It mostly seems to happen in traffic, not so much if I'm just accelerating from a dead stop and going through upshifts. I don't know much about these ZF boxes but it almost feels like it suddenly decides it wants to lock the tq and slams it in. Not always just in 3rd but that seems to be the most prevalent. I've come to think that a lot of the ZF series are just

I did put rubicon take-offs on without adjust tire size in the computer. Part of me has wondered if the little variation in wheel speed is enough to throw the desired shift/lock(assuming the ZF has a locking clutch?) out of wack a bit. Especially since it seems to want higher gears so aggressively.

OP
OP
ATL_Rubi

ATL_Rubi

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sales
Just had a RRT which I suppose is a manufacturer elected update for systems. This one affected the PCM.

Quick background, took the jeep back in 6 weeks ago to have them check the hesitation. They noted that a trans tech would be 3 weeks out, but my SA said he would see what he could do. They resets the learning curve on the transmission and off I went. Hesitation was still there but not as bad.

Fast forward to today, the RRT was a PCM update, and so far, no hesitations that I can feel. Tomorrow AM will be a better indicator.

OP
OP
ATL_Rubi

ATL_Rubi

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sales
Adding more here, the RRT allegedly dealt with the charge temperature sensors; there is two part numbers listed on the work order. I have further noticed that it does not seem like the transmission is slamming itself into lower gears when slowing down. I experienced this during 3-1 shifts in Auto mode, making braking modulation difficult. It now seems that it lets the engine wind down from 3-1 without using the transmission to slow the jeep down, a welcome change.

Granted, this could all be a placebo, but so far, knock on wood, zero hesitation this morning on my drive where I would have normally had 2-3 moments of hesitation.

hakoda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Man I am scheduling an appointment asap. I had an oil change but the dealer didn't have time to perform that RRT. I was hesitant to even hope it would help but this gives me a little bit :)

Thanks for updating. Again we have all the same kind of symptoms, just gotten used to dealing with it. Will update as well!

Edit to update: scheduled for Tuesday!

Last edited:

Sponsored

hakoda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well its only been 4 days but I put on 700 miles with a trip to LV and I haven't felt anything yet. The hesitations are absent and the 3-1 aggressive downshifts are gone. I've also noticed its a bit more aggressive downshifting to tackle hills and not slamming up gears so early. I used to get really annoyed how early it would try and get into 8th and it would like "drop" into it - that all seems to be much better.

Very hopeful this isn't placebo :)

OP
OP
ATL_Rubi

ATL_Rubi

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sales
Well its only been 4 days but I put on 700 miles with a trip to LV and I haven't felt anything yet. The hesitations are absent and the 3-1 aggressive downshifts are gone. I've also noticed its a bit more aggressive downshifting to tackle hills and not slamming up gears so early. I used to get really annoyed how early it would try and get into 8th and it would like "drop" into it - that all seems to be much better.

Very hopeful this isn't placebo :)
I think I’m maybe 1100 miles since the RRT and so far so good

Sscanlon

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
I think I’m maybe 1100 miles since the RRT and so far so good
Any idea what the rrt number is or when it was released? I have the same symptoms, they flashed the pcm back in January but curious if this is a newer one.

OP
OP
ATL_Rubi

ATL_Rubi

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sales
Any idea what the rrt number is or when it was released? I have the same symptoms, they flashed the pcm back in January but curious if this is a newer one.
I believe it is relatively new. My hesitttion is back and i have an appt on the 19th to get it checked out.
Jeep Gladiator Hesitation in 3rd Gear at 2k RPM 1686575790125

Sscanlon

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
I believe it is relatively new. My hesitttion is back and i have an appt on the 19th to get it checked out.
Jeep Gladiator Hesitation in 3rd Gear at 2k RPM 1686575790125
Thanks, bummer.. thought I’d finally have a fix. My dealer just tells me it’s shifting as expected

Sponsored

OP
OP
ATL_Rubi

ATL_Rubi

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sales
Thanks, bummer.. thought I’d finally have a fix. My dealer just tells me it’s shifting as expected
One dealer has said that it's normal and the transmission "rubber bands" meaning it'll alow slip and then slap itself back into gear; the other didn't take it for a test drive but believed me when i said it was wrong and has worked with me quite well so far. I may ask them to let me take a 22 off the lot for a test drive to see if it drives the same.

IzzyO

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I've just hit 16,000 miles and just started to experience this same hesitation you've described except that mine is gears 1-3. I noticed that once I've cleared 2000 rpms / 30 mph the hesitation is gone.

For me there was a distinct event that preceded this. A week and a half ago I was driving on the freeway at 70 mph and my gladiator randomly decided to activate traction control on dry pavement. I'm not sure why it did that but experienced loss of power/slow down that is TC trying to do its job etc. I haven't had TC turn on again since then but it's like the Jeep never went back to normal...

2021 AT 3.6 Rubicon

OP
OP
ATL_Rubi

ATL_Rubi

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sales
I've just hit 16,000 miles and just started to experience this same hesitation you've described except that mine is gears 1-3. I noticed that once I've cleared 2000 rpms / 30 mph the hesitation is gone.

For me there was a distinct event that preceded this. A week and a half ago I was driving on the freeway at 70 mph and my gladiator randomly decided to activate traction control on dry pavement. I'm not sure why it did that but experienced loss of power/slow down that is TC trying to do its job etc. I haven't had TC turn on again since then but it's like the Jeep never went back to normal...

2021 AT 3.6 Rubicon
Odd, have you had any more updates?

I just dropped mine off at 8901 miles for the 2nd check on the issue. I’m going to look into lemon laws here shortly to see if them saying “can’t replicate” counts or if they need to replicate it, document it, then try to fix it for it to count.

Diesel_Smack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2019 Mazda CX5
Occupation
race car driver
One dealer has said that it's normal and the transmission "rubber bands" meaning it'll alow slip and then slap itself back into gear; the other didn't take it for a test drive but believed me when i said it was wrong and has worked with me quite well so far. I may ask them to let me take a 22 off the lot for a test drive to see if it drives the same.
This is an interesting response since this also happens in my Gladiator but with the manual transmission. I'm guessing it has to do with throttle-body programming and it likely changes to a new setting after 2k RPM.

If I'm accelerating while in 3rd but below 2,000rpm, the truck bogs but then noticeably bucks a tiny bit like it just got dumped a ton of fuel into it. I know its a narrow power band on this motor but its a noticeable difference and not one that really feels like a traditional 'bogging down'.

OP
OP
ATL_Rubi

ATL_Rubi

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sales
This is an interesting response since this also happens in my Gladiator but with the manual transmission. I'm guessing it has to do with throttle-body programming, and it likely changes to a new setting after 2k RPM.

If I'm accelerating while in 3rd but below 2,000rpm, the truck bogs but then noticeably bucks a bit like it just got dumped a ton of fuel into it. I know it's a narrow power band on this motor, but it's a noticeable difference and not one that feels like a traditional 'bogging down'.
Yep, I explained to the SA that it felt like someone was riding a clutch pedal halfway engaged and then just dumped it. It's not as extreme as a clutch kick, but similar. Editing to add that mine is the 8AT, so i understand there is some slip in the Torque converter but it shouldn't rubberband like this.

He said if they cant replicate it (since there are no codes) they'll give it back, and I'll have to wait for it to get worse. Lemon law is gray on how it handles dealers not being able to replicate the issue but the gist is if you have documentation, videos, receipts, records, etc, it should be okay but a harder case to prove. So we'll see what happens. I fully expected them to say, "Sorry, I can'tcan't replicate it." They're a great dealer/service shop, but since there are no codes, I'm riding on luck and hoping it happens to them as they test it.
Sponsored