Sponsored

High Altitude Gladiator for highway use?

Sunman54

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra LTD Crew Max, Wranger Unlimited, RC 350
Occupation
Retired
New to the Gladiator forum. Is the High Altitude the best Gladiator model for highway use? We currently have a 2015 Tundra Limited Crew Max and a 2016 Wrangler Unlimited. Thinking of trading the Tundra for a Gladiator. However, we have concerns with highway drivability as our Wrangler is horrible on the interstate compared to our Tundra. We use our Tundra for trips to our Georgia cabin driving from FL along the interstate. In GA its 90% paved road use in the NE GA mountains. Occasionally some dirt roads to go hiking or to waterfalls. Recommendations for which Gladiator would be appreciated.
Sponsored

usnavycdr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Willys Sport S, 99 WJ
Occupation
Psych RN
I cannot speak for the High Altitude model. I have the Willys Sport with 3.73 gears on 32s. Just finished 1700 miles to the mountains in Colorado from Texas. Truck rode comfortably at 70-75 on cruise without issues. Fully loaded with payload but not towing. Averaged 19-22mpg.

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
Go test drive one.

While I'm new to the Jeep family, I've read that the 2018+ Jeeps are quite different and better than the previous gens.

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
Generally speaking, the High Altitude is the best Gladiator for highway driving because it has the most standard features that are for on-road use. Blind spot assistance for example.

You may be able to outfit another model with all the same features, but I don't know for sure.

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Cadenza, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S
The Overland is meant for the road more than any other trim. It's still capable offroad but is build more for on-road than any of the others. You may also look for a Mojave as many who have those in the forums have expressed how much nicer the driving dynamics are, just keep in mind that the softer suspension gives up quite a bit in some trails/rocky terrain for that squishy suspension.

Sponsored

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
The Overland is meant for the road more than any other trim. It's still capable offroad but is build more for on-road than any of the others. You may also look for a Mojave as many who have those in the forums have expressed how much nicer the driving dynamics are, just keep in mind that the softer suspension gives up quite a bit in some trails/rocky terrain for that squishy suspension.
More than the High Altitude? How so?

Casique

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HA Gladiator, 2011 FLHX, 2022 MDX
I have a HA. My steering has a slight wander that makes long distance driving a pain. I changed the steering stabilizer to the Falcon Nexus 2.2 but it did nothing to improve the steering. My tire pressure is 35. I would not recommend the HA for dedicated highway driving. Around the city and the dirt its great.

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry, it's the lower cost version. If they don't need all the bells and whistles and just want something to drive I'd suggest that. If they were wanting 1 that was nicer I'd suggest the Mojave over the HA.

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a HA. My steering has a slight wander that makes long distance driving a pain. I changed the steering stabilizer to the Falcon Nexus 2.2 but it did nothing to improve the steering. My tire pressure is 35. I would not recommend the HA for dedicated highway driving. Around the city and the dirt its great.
Did you get the TSB? I did on my Sport S w/ Max Tow and it was almost night and day, no more wandering at all.

Sponsored

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
Fairly sure HA is just a well optioned Overland with body color bumpers, mirrors, and top all standard as well. And larger rims.
Special leather, blind spot assistance, 8.4" screen are a few of the other standard features. There may be more, I'm not positive.

That is not normal. No issue like that with mine.

Sorry, it's the lower cost version. If they don't need all the bells and whistles and just want something to drive I'd suggest that. If they were wanting 1 that was nicer I'd suggest the Mojave over the HA.
Bells and whistles are what make highway driving nice.

Mojave over High Altitude for highway driving seems like an odd choice to me. Maybe if the highway is sand dunes.

Casique

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HA Gladiator, 2011 FLHX, 2022 MDX
TSB is for 2020 only, mine has the steel box. Its not horrible, but bad enough to need constant input on the highway..

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
TSB is for 2020 only, mine has the steel box. Its not horrible, but bad enough to need constant input on the highway..
Can you get it worked on under warranty? Maybe you have a bad steering box

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Generally speaking, the High Altitude is the best Gladiator for highway driving because it has the most standard features that are for on-road use. Blind spot assistance for example.

You may be able to outfit another model with all the same features, but I don't know for sure.
LOL - my Overland has everything the High Altitude does - except the "luxury" items like color matching bumpers and door handles. I fail to see any real differences.
ACC - got that.
BSM - got that.
Passive entry - yeah, have that.
I've been trying to find out what the HA edition has that my Overland doesn't have other than appearance items.
I've driven my Overland to Fort Wayne and back, Omaha and back, Colorado Springs and back, and plan on going to Florida this fall. My wife loves Grand Cherokees but actually likes driving my truck, too.

Fairly sure HA is just a well optioned Overland with body color bumpers, mirrors, and top all standard as well. And larger rims.
Yeah, that's about it! It's really no different in many ways.
All the HA has that I don't have is the body color stuff. Otherwise - compare - if I painted my bumpers and door handles, and put those wheels on it, I'd have a HA for the most part.

It's really just an Overland with a few added things you can't order on the Overland.
Otherwise, name a feature my Overland doesn't have - other than appearance items........

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Same damn thing HA vs. Overland other than appearance items -
Body color bumpers, door handles, mirrors,
fancy pattern in the seat leather,
Larger wheels.

Show me something that makes the HA better or more fitting for highway driving than what I have...
So some of that is "standard" on the HA and part of a package on the Overland - otherwise other than looks, I see no differences.

Otherwise my Overland has everything the HA has - including a wonderful ride and handling on the highway. That truck is extremely great for long drives. We (should say my wife) drove from Colorado Springs back to home east of Des Moines - non-strop except for gas and ice cream. 11 hours on the road and neither of us were fatigued.
That's the thing - you get there and aren't worn out.
Sponsored