Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Gladiator Overland
Occupation
NASA Consultant - EE
Vehicle Showcase
I just ordered a high lift jack and a hood mount. The hood mount suggests using the hood hinge screws for attaching the hood mount, but I hate to screw up that gorgeous orange paint breaking the hood hinge fasteners free. Any good ideas how to mount the jack otherwise?
Thanks,
Tom
Sponsored

Godfadr

First Name
Godfadr
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.FredRewey.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited, 2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Speaker, Author, Dude Who Likes Bacon
Vehicle Showcase
I just ordered a high lift jack and a hood mount. The hood mount suggests using the hood hinge screws for attaching the hood mount, but I hate to screw up that gorgeous orange paint breaking the hood hinge fasteners free. Any good ideas how to mount the jack otherwise?
Thanks,
Tom
I have not tried this yet...but I have heard from some guys that said the hood mount set up interferes with wiper spray. Can anyone confirm?

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
And its going to interfere with forward vision too. Get a mount and put it in the bed where it belongs.

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
Hood and hinges are aluminum. I wouldn't mount that unwieldy, metal biting 35 pound jack there.

Sponsored

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
And did you really want to have 35 pounds of rusting metal laid out on your hood every time you go to add washer fluid?

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks,
Tom
Get one of the Molle panels for the bed from JCR Offroad. I would not mount anything like that on my hood.

Red Hot Sloth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
I used the hood mounts, but attached them to my bed-rail, I’ll likely lower it to sit below
the bedrail soon, simple adjustment.
These jacks are heavy, wouldnt take much to mis-handle and do some serious damage to your hood, especially if your lifted.

FB397618-075E-48A9-9DB2-2D66C2B1BA7D.jpeg
53109E2C-BA7D-45FB-BC37-DC1BAED566F1.jpeg

Godfadr

First Name
Godfadr
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.FredRewey.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited, 2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Speaker, Author, Dude Who Likes Bacon
Vehicle Showcase
I used the hood mounts, but attached them to my bed-rail, I’ll likely lower it to sit below
the bedrail soon, simple adjustment.
These jacks are heavy, wouldnt take much to mis-handle and do some serious damage to your hood, especially if your lifted.

FB397618-075E-48A9-9DB2-2D66C2B1BA7D.jpeg
53109E2C-BA7D-45FB-BC37-DC1BAED566F1.jpeg
The reflection threw me off for a second...thought it was on the tailgate lol. Nice install!

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU X, 1979 Tenth Anniversary Trans Am, 2020 Gobi Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Thanks,
Tom
I have experience at this. On my JK, the hood mount does not interfere with the windshield sprayer. The crossmember has a notch in it to clear the spray. My JK is an '07 with a single sprayer--not sure if they've adapted those notches or whatever for dual sprayers, but ask the manufacturer. In the event there was interference, the manufacturer of mine (ToughStuff) provided small stainless steel washers to shim out the mount. I didn't need them, and they say it's very rare to need them.

Jeep Hi-Lift Mod, May 08, 0554.jpg

On my JK and on other Jeeps where I've removed the hood, amazingly that paint has never broken such as to leave open spots for rust to develop. You can't even tell my hood has ever been removed. It looks perfectly factory, and there is no rust--on a thirteen year old Jeep that is always parked outside. Of course, my door hinges have no rust either, and I cannot explain that.

As for interference with the view, it's pretty mild.

Jeep Hi-Lift Mod, May 08, 0601.jpg

I'm about 5'7" or so (and getting shorter at my age of 70). That is what I'd see if the jack was still there. But now I see the shovel and axe that replaced the jack (ToughStuff gave me parts for either configuration).

AZ-CA-WA Trip, Mar-Apr 12, 3629, Canyon de Chelly.jpg

A Hi-Lift stored in the open will rust eventually. You can take care of that by taking care of the jack. It's up to you how important that is. Once I moved my Hi-Lift to the tire swinggate, I put the axe and shovel on the hood. I don't mind the rust pattern that's developed in the paint under it--it's part of the patina of the Jeep. In fact, I'm replacing my wheels this week on that Jeep with 17" versions of the ones that are currently 16", and I'm shedding a few tears because I'll lose those beat up wheels for something new looking. But I needed new tires and plan to upgrade the axles and brakes in the near future, so larger wheels were necessary. A lot of good memories being lost with that change.

Look at those scrapes and gouges in those alloy wheels ...
Solar Eclipse Expedition, Aug 17, 5_10199, Jeep at Craters of the Moon NM.jpg

The weight of the jack directly over the hinges is only mildly noticeable. The problem you could run into is mechanics who are used to pushing the hood all the way back to the windshield. You'll get a dent in the cowel where the Hi-Lift hits it first.

The worst part of having the Hi-Lift jack on the hood is getting it off and on. It is a pain in the rear--really a two person job. The best part of having the Hi-Lift jack on the hood is it puts the heavy weight up front, where usually, at least for us overlanders, you prefer to add weight if you must (typically the back end is overloaded). The second best part of having it on the hood is you look the part with something you'll likely never use. In 13 years of heavy overlanding all over the continent, I've used that jack only once, and really didn't need to. We were at a Boy Scout function with a rope monkey bridge and our stakes were truck axles sharpened into oversized tent pegs. Bear in mind kids are crossing this bridge, so the stakes were driven about 4 feet into the ground to secure the main ropes across the bridge. We used the Hi-Lift to pull them out. So, if you want to carry it because it makes you look the part, then put it where folks can at least see it. And ask if it's a machine gun, as happened to me one time out at Tinker AFB--some Colonel's wife at the base gas station (had a rank sticker on her Corvette, and I iddn't recognize her as one of the base female O-6s).

You may find this thread useful on how I mounted that Hi-Lift many years ago ...

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/toughstuff-hi-lift-hood-mount-41906/

Gee, my Jeep looked so pretty way back then. Now it shows the 276,000 mile of smiles it's brought to me. ;-)
Sponsored