Sponsored

High speed off-road calibration?

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"

at minute 33 he says something about,
""high speed off road calibration, that allows you to keep front sway bar connected, unlock the front differential, while electronically locking the rear, giving you the ultimate in high speed traction in dirt and sand"

Would this still be in 4HI? Putting 50% power to the front with the diff open, and 50% rear with the locked diff?
Sponsored

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Jeep Gladiator High speed off-road calibration? {filename}
That must be what the off-road plus button is for? So on the JL rubicon and the JT you can lock just the rear already. So i'm wondering what the off road + does.

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
At 7:00 in the Lite Brite video, the Jeep guy explains it - it adjusts shift points, traction control, each, and throttle response based on the terrain.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQHpNTD6GxtNe8HanFW8dnw
What drogers said is 100% correct about the Off Road+ button. Which is where @steffen707 went in post #2. However what you initially asked about in post #1 was locking the rear diff in 4WD High. See original quote:

at minute 33 he says something about,
""high speed off road calibration, that allows you to keep front sway bar connected, unlock the front differential, while electronically locking the rear, giving you the ultimate in high speed traction in dirt and sand"

Would this still be in 4HI? Putting 50% power to the front with the diff open, and 50% rear with the locked diff?
Let me answer the original question with what we know and don't know. I don't believe the Off-Road+ button will have anything to do with the differentials. I believe the differentials will lock and unlock with the differential lock lever. Currently there is a sensor or the computer knows not to allow you to lock the rear diff in 4WD High, only 4WD Low. They are talking about removing that programming/sensor so that you can engage the rear diff lock in 4WD High. However that decision has not been made, officially.

See excert from post #1 on the press release thread. https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...elease-2020-jeep-gladiator-specs-photos.8455/
Over 80 safety and convenience features
  • Off Road + button changes parameters of BTC (brake traction control) for sand running and low-range rockcrawling
  • Late-availability of rear locker access in high-range 4WD is being considered
Now I have seen this feature mentioned causally and then brushed over in videos and interviews enough times to think Jeep is intending on providing this feature. I do not think it is still up for debate, that said I feel that they are having trouble making it work as intended, hence the late availability. My question is how long do I have to wait until that feature is ready? Not a clue. Remember Jeep promised the 3.0 engine option in 2018 and as of today it is not offered in the 2019 yet. Also Jeep was talking a lot about their BSG tech as late availability in 2018. Not only is that not available on the 2019, they stopped talking about it all together. So its anyone's guess if we ever get the ability to run rear diff locked in 4WD High.

Last edited:
OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What drovers said is 100% correct about the Off Road+ button. Which is where @steffen707 went in post #2. However what you initially asked about in post #1 was locking the rear diff in 4WD High. See original quote:

Let me answer the original question with what we know and don't know. I don't believe the Off-Road+ button will have anything to do with the differentials. I believe the differentials will lock and unlock with the differential lock lever. Currently there is a sensor or the computer knows not to allow you to lock the rear diff in 4WD High, only 4WD Low. They are talking about removing that programming/sensor so that you can engage the rear diff lock in 4WD High. However that decision has not been made, officially.

See excert from post #1 on the press release thread. https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...elease-2020-jeep-gladiator-specs-photos.8455/
Over 80 safety and convenience features
  • Off Road + button changes parameters of BTC (brake traction control) for sand running and low-range rockcrawling
  • Late-availability of rear locker access in high-range 4WD is being considered
Now I have seen this feature mentioned causally and then brushed over in videos and interviews enough times to think Jeep is intending on providing this feature. I do not think it is still up for debate, that said I feel that they are having trouble making it work as intended, hence the late availability. My question is how long do I have to wait until that feature is ready? Not a clue. Remember Jeep promised the 3.0 engine option in 2018 and as of today it is not offered in the 2019 yet. Also Jeep was talking a lot about their BSG tech as late availability in 2018. Not only is that not available on the 2019, they stopped talking about it all together. So its anyone's guess if we ever get the ability to run rear locked in 4WD High.
nice dissection. Thank you.

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
Follow up on the 4WD High diff lock. I don't know what is preventing this currently. If it is just the computer not allowing the electronic lock to engage, then there is a chance that you could buy a JT right out of the gate and when the feature becomes available you could get it through a software update, either over the air or at a dealership. This is the scenario that played out with the infamous off road pages on the uconnect. If however there are actual parts that need to be added or changed and this feature is important to you then I would hold off on a purchase for a bit and see if Jeep continues to talk about it or if it fades away.

Last edited:

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
I'd bet they're trying to figure out if it's possible to prevent someone from deciding to engage the lockers at speed on the wrong surface. Try doing that on ice at 35Mph and you'll be staring at the guy behind you as you spin past him...

For better or worse, restricting it to low range made it easy for us to not shoot ourselves in the foot, and while I'm sure nobody on this forum (cough) would ever do something sumb with their lockers, Jeep has lawyers that get paid to say no...

Malarkey21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 1993 BMW 325is, 2016 Triumph Street Twin
Follow up on the 4WD High diff lock. I don't know what is preventing this currently. If it is just the computer not allowing the electronic lock to engage, then there is a chance that you could buy a JT right out of the gate and when the feature becomes available you could get it through a software update, either over the air or at a dealership. This is the scenario that played out with the infamous off road pages on the uconnect. If however there are actual parts that need to be added or changed and this feature is important to you then I would hold off on a purchase for a bit and see if Jeep continues to talk about it or if it fades away.
My best guess is it has to do with liability/durability. OEM has to protect for everyone (unfortunately, us who know when to turn them on and off have to suffer). I see this being acceptable on the JT because of the "Off road plus" button, essentially acknowledging that yes, I am no longer on a paved road. where with the JL, all you have is a lever currently that can be used on pavement/snow and off road. unless they add the physical button in later models or there is an option on the Uconnect like you mention to select.

I think a terrain selection menu would be pretty neat. Baja mode, rock mode, Michigan roads mode...

Sponsored

MojitoWrangler

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 Z28 R/S
My best guess is it has to do with liability/durability. OEM has to protect for everyone (unfortunately, us who know when to turn them on and off have to suffer). I see this being acceptable on the JT because of the "Off road plus" button, essentially acknowledging that yes, I am no longer on a paved road. where with the JL, all you have is a lever currently that can be used on pavement/snow and off road. unless they add the physical button in later models or there is an option on the Uconnect like you mention to select.

I think a terrain selection menu would be pretty neat. Baja mode, rock mode, Michigan roads mode...
Michigan Roads Plus mode...... For when you drive down Mound Road in Sterling Heights Lol.

jeepinjon

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK
At the moment on the JK and JL it is software preventing the high speed off-road setting. A flash of the body control module and they could open the feature up.

On the JK (and I would assume the JL) adding a wire to the relay controlling the lockers you could control them independently on a separate switch (I think they

Wilk

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Dakota
The JL Tazer programmer lets you lock in high I believe. It'll be interesting to see a JT Tazer programmer do that but a factory program would be nice.

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you for posting this. I'll check it out.
She's far too bubbly for my likes; however, this video has some stuff that no other video has thus far, like the off road plus button.

jeepguy225

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator JTR, '04 Rubicon (past: 04 TJR, 79 and 84' CJ-7)
Occupation
Buyer of Jeep parts
Vehicle Showcase
When I had my TJ Rubicon, I found a thread somewhere that explained how to lock your diffs, front and rear, while in 4H. All that it involved was tricking the system to think it was in 4L (grounding one of the wires). I just popped the axle lock switch out and connected 2 of the wires to an additional switch (for safety). When I flipped the extra switch on, it tricked the system into allowing me to use the axle lock switch with the jeep in 4H. The axle lock switch would work just like it did when in 4L. It worked great. My dad sold it for me when I moved overseas. The new owner is still probably wondering what that extra switch does. A word of warning though, I did have one instance when the front locker just popped on while I was exiting the highway onto the off ramp. I'm not sure why as it was a year after I did the mod. It never happened again after that. I imagine you could do the same trickery with the JK or JL Rubicon since they both have the axle lock buttons like the TJ.
Sponsored