Sponsored

Highway Road Noise - 35s - BFG, NITTO, TOYO

JTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Sport S Max Tow 8 spd Auto

Camping not Crawling. Traveling the many miles in Texas from Big Bend to the Piney Woods to the Gulf Coast to Palo Duro Canyon. Interstates and State Highways to get there then dirt roads and loose rock hills once past the cattle guards.

As I launch into my mods Iā€™m choosing between several 35s and one 37. ATs more than MTs . Iā€˜ll Likely have JTR shocks and a 2ā€ lift.

Ive been through the ā€œ35s vs 37sā€œ thread and much of the ā€œJTs with Bigger Tiresā€ thread. From those I gather that the BFG KO2s are a bit smaller than the average so that the 37ā€ BFG is fairly close (36ish) to the TOYO and NITTO 35s (and the BFG 35 is on the smaller side of 35s). Iā€™m also told that the lighter weight of the BFGs allows the 37s to work well enough with the 4.10s without regearing (wheras most 37s would necessitate a regearing). I plan to utilize a Tazer Mini and an i-Drive.

Any specifics on the road noise of those tires, especially when traveling 70mph on the highways ? Iā€™m coming from a 2012 JKU that had Mickey Thompson Baja MTZs so most anything is quieter but does anyone have any opinions waiting escape beyond the threads Iā€™ve mentioned ?

Iā€™m going to gather a few more mod/build opinions from this forum and itā€™s experience/expertise before I set it all in motion.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Sport S Max Tow 8 spd Auto

Camping not Crawling. Traveling the many miles in Texas from Big Bend to the Piney Woods to the Gulf Coast to Palo Duro Canyon. Interstates and State Highways to get there then dirt roads and loose rock hills once past the cattle guards.

As I launch into my mods Iā€™m choosing between several 35s and one 37. ATs more than MTs . Iā€˜ll Likely have JTR shocks and a 2ā€ lift.

Ive been through the ā€œ35s vs 37sā€œ thread and much of the ā€œJTs with Bigger Tiresā€ thread. From those I gather that the BFG KO2s are a bit smaller than the average so that the 37ā€ BFG is fairly close (36ish) to the TOYO and NITTO 35s (and the BFG 35 is on the smaller side of 35s). Iā€™m also told that the lighter weight of the BFGs allows the 37s to work well enough with the 4.10s without regearing (wheras most 37s would necessitate a regearing). I plan to utilize a Tazer Mini and an i-Drive.

Any specifics on the road noise of those tires, especially when traveling 70mph on the highways ? Iā€™m coming from a 2012 JKU that had Mickey Thompson Baja MTZs so most anything is quieter but does anyone have any opinions waiting escape beyond the threads Iā€™ve mentioned ?

Iā€™m going to gather a few more mod/build opinions from this forum and itā€™s experience/expertise before I set it all in motion.

Thanks in advance.
I'm a big fan of BFGs if your going to daily drive it and camp or wheel it, they work well for almost anything your going to do with your jeep. I know people are fans of Toyo's and I'm not knocking anyone for that but on a daily driver on 2 different sets I couldn't get more than 25-30 thousand miles out of them and they are louder than BFGs on the road. I ran the Toyo's on a XJ and they were on my JKU when I bought it, both sets 35's and we're A/T's. Ran Geolanders M/T's in a 35 after that on the JkU and they were great tires for off roading but were loud and had a subpar lifespan of about 22,000 miles.

I'm on my 3rd set in a row of BFG KO2's, I got 315 70 17 size tires and previously ran 2 sets on my JKU in a 35 12.5 17 KO2. I got 48,000 miles out of the first set and I was at 18,000 miles on the second set when I sold it and tires still looked pretty new. I'm at almost 13,000 miles on the set on my JT and they show very little signs of wear.My only regret is I didn't go ahead and get 37's but when these wear out I will be getting 37's. Mine measure out to 34.1 at 41psi on my truck.

Also for the record on my JKU at 30psi the BFGs 35 12.5 17 measured 34.3 and the Toyo measured 34.5 in the same size tire. Plus the Toyo weighed 78lbs versus BFGs only weighing 66lbs. Honestly I could never tell a difference in the size on the JK. Geolanders measured 34.5 in a 35 12.5 17 M/T and they weigh around 70lbs.

Bigphe JT

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport, 2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport, 1979 Jeep CJ7
In the 33s, my wifes BFGs AT KOs are a little louder and stiffer than my Toyo AT3's. Not terribly different but noticeable. I drive a lot more on the highway for work and am glad I have the Toyos. I enjoy the hum of her BFGs with the top open and around town in her JLU though.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
I have run BFG all terrains and Toyo AT IIs both were quiet and smooth, the key is to rotate every 5k miles, run them too long without rotating they get loud.

Silvertruck

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Iā€™ve got toyo open country MTā€™s and they are loud and I love it. No compromise traction, people know it, see it, hear it. Its what I got a jeep for. A little tire hum makes everything better.

Sponsored

Wicknalter

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Running 34ā€ Nitto Ridge Grapplers on mine. Hands down the quietest aggressive tire Iā€™ve ever ran. Iā€™ve ran K02ā€™s on many of my vehicles and loved them but theyā€™re noisy. My commute is longer now and I appreciate the low volume from the nittos.

Reviews were excellent for them. Iā€™ll be putting them to the test this weekend Iā€™ll follow up. But Iā€™d definitely say put it on your looking at list.

FLUndertaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport, 1986 Jeep CJ7
Nitto Ridge Grapplers are far less noisy than the wind noise of a Jeep at 70mph. I love mine.

Andrew05LJR

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2015 911 C2S
Had Toyo RTs on my JLUR and putting them on my JT. Ive had BFG, Nitto, Goodyear MTR, Coopr SST Pros, Yokohama Geolander G003 on my recent LJR were also fantastic, etc... BFGs are the worst in my opinion. Way to noisy for an AT and the old KMs were pure garbage. Don't know how people love them so much. I ripped them off my JLUR quickly. Bought a Commander years ago with KOs, were cupped, noisy, terrible off road, just awful. Im only one dude, on a forum, so take that for what its worth. These are my experiences. Don't shy away from Coopers. Had 3 sets, were great.
Sponsored