Sponsored

Highway shuttering

dotScratchy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Mojave
Hey y'all,

I just bought my first Jeep two weeks ago, a 2023 Mojave. I drove it from Gupton to Kansas City with no issues. It has ~950 miles on it now. Tonight I was pulling onto the on-ramp to get on the highway and *clunk*, "What the hell was that"? I continued on and felt a little shutter. I was able to recreate the shutter by feathering the pedal a little bit. It got to the point where if I gave it any gas it would start shuttering. I didn't know if I was going to make it home. I was on the highway for about a mile before I pulled off and continued the last couple of miles home. I dropped the wife off and took it back out and couldn't recreate the issue.

I was thinking of some kind of vacuum leak, but I'm no mechanic. There is no CEL on. Would you continue to monitor or would you take it in to get it looked at? I'm assuming the shop will do nothing if they can't recreate the issue.

I'm also now a little nervous to go on the ~3000-mile trip I have planned in 2 weeks. Do you guys have any thoughts?
Sponsored

jav_eee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
misfire? Bad fuel?

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
People Work?
That sounds like the misfire issue I had when mine was relatively new, but it did throw a code for me. Single cylinder misfire.
The tech swapped the plug and coil pack with the adjacent cylinder to see if the misfire followed or stayed on the same cylinder, and it hasn't misfired again in some 10,000 miles.
There was also a PCM update at the same time, so whether it was simply reseating the ignition components or the software update, or both, I have no idea.

Mine would do it under heavy acceleration with an uphill grade, so you may want to try that and see it'll produce a code that sticks.

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
Was going to say misfire until you said “clunk”. Driveline maybe?? Did you slide under there and check alignments of driveshaft bolts? Give things a good grip and shake.

I’d also lean toward nuts and bolts not torqued to spec. Most, if not all suspension nuts, bolts and ball joints were loose on my 21 JTR.

I’d have the dealership retorque everything. Good luck and congratulations on the new ride and adventures ahead.

Brahmajoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Law
Was going to say misfire until you said “clunk”. Driveline maybe?? Did you slide under there and check alignments of driveshaft bolts? Give things a good grip and shake.

I’d also lean toward nuts and bolts not torqued to spec. Most, if not all suspension nuts, bolts and ball joints were loose on my 21 JTR.

I’d have the dealership retorque everything. Good luck and congratulations on the new ride and adventures ahead.
What should I check as far as bolts under the Jeep. I have a driveline vibration I’ve been chasing for a while and never really looked into that

Sponsored

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
What should I check as far as bolts under the Jeep. I have a driveline vibration I’ve been chasing for a while and never really looked into that
Not sure if you’re into checking torque specs and a gear head able to get under there and hit everything, if not, have it booked in and ask for service department to do that and find what’s vibrating.

If you are one to grab the tools, get the list of torque specs on this site that was recently posted and go to town. I’m hoping someone on here that knows where that list is can bring it in here for you.

Brahmajoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Law
What would be the main things I check for that I have a vibration at idle would any components cause that? If under-the Jeep

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
People Work?
Not sure if you’re into checking torque specs and a gear head able to get under there and hit everything, if not, have it booked in and ask for service department to do that and find what’s vibrating.

If you are one to grab the tools, get the list of torque specs on this site that was recently posted and go to town. I’m hoping someone on here that knows where that list is can bring it in here for you.
It's stickied at the top of the Maintenance section now.
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...torque-values-all-of-them-in-one-place.67915/

OP
OP
dotScratchy

dotScratchy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Mojave
misfire? Bad fuel?
Does seem like a possible misfire. I only fill up at Quik Trip so I wouldn't think it is bad fuel, but who knows.

That sounds like the misfire issue I had when mine was relatively new, but it did throw a code for me. Single cylinder misfire.
The tech swapped the plug and coil pack with the adjacent cylinder to see if the misfire followed or stayed on the same cylinder, and it hasn't misfired again in some 10,000 miles.
There was also a PCM update at the same time, so whether it was simply reseating the ignition components or the software update, or both, I have no idea.

Mine would do it under heavy acceleration with an uphill grade, so you may want to try that and see it'll produce a code that sticks.
I will try this tonight.

I got under there and everything felt solid. I'm wodering if the clunk was a misfire while transmission was shifting?
Sponsored