Sponsored

Hill Descent Control?

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
Just drove home my new JT last Thursday. I'm trying to be a good owner and went through the owner's manual. I'm still puzzled about the button next to the "Screen Off" button. Is that the Hill Descent Control? I've gone through the entire manual in print and on online and I can't find anything about this button or this feature if that's what it is.

Am I missing it? I would appreciate it if someone can confirm that button is for Hill Descent Control and where I can read about it for a Gladiator. Searching online, I can find references to HDC for Wranglers, but not Gladiators.

Thanks.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Klutch

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It’s basically better because it’s offroad cruise control. Up or down a hill/obstacle.
OK. I thought that was only on the Rubicon. My JT is a Sport S. So, what's the button next to the "Screen Off" button?

BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
OK. I thought that was only on the Rubicon. My JT is a Sport S. So, what's the button next to the "Screen Off" button?
It’s got a pic of what looks like a Jeep driving they water.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
When I tried to engage it in 4L this weird grinding noise started so I didnt use it going downhill. Anyone else experience that? Yes i have read the manual

Sponsored

expfinn

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I’ve used it several times. Personally I am not a fan as I prefer to stay in full control of the vehicle, especially the brakes.

However I think it would be very beneficial to a driver who is newer to wheeling.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
Klutch

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When I tried to engage it in 4L this weird grinding noise started so I didnt use it going downhill. Anyone else experience that? Yes i have read the manual
Does your manual include reference to the HDC? I can't find it anywhere in my manual.

Sponsored

rjs-az

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator Rubicon, '16 4Runner Trail
I had a similar experience. Wasn’t a grinding noise but a continuous clicking sound from the auto application of the brakes.

Note that I had never been off roading before and I was going down the Flint trail into the Maze in Canyonlands. I was already a little freaked out so I probably over-reacted to the descent control. I just turned it off. I found 4L in manual mode where I could control the shifts and just let engine braking with an occasional brake assist for controlling descent much more enjoyable.

Texops

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, sold, 2023 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
Retirement Refinery Operator
Vehicle Showcase
it's a type of crawl control can still be used as hill descent, oh & its normal to hear grinding when engaging 4 low don't hesitate just chunk it into low quickly .

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Doesn't Jeep call it "SelecSpeed Control"? You have to be in 4-low for it to work. Then you push the button and move the shifter to manual mode. You can move the speed up and down with the shifter. The dash cluster will show your current speed.

Yes it's a noisy system. It uses the ABS system to apply brake to each corner as necessary. So the hydraulic pulses are very loud and if you aren't used to it you'll think something is wrong, but that's how the system is designed to work. It's a cool system. All you have to do is steer.
Sponsored