goose464

First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max tow
Vehicle Showcase
My dealer just sent me a pic of my gladiator that was delivered today. The hitch is bent and rusted. Their solution is to order the assembly and replace. Anyone know what this entails? Is welding involved? Should I be worried about the dealer handling this work?

20200714_173447260_iOS.jpg
Sponsored

Casique

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HA Gladiator, 2011 FLHX, 2022 MDX
I would worry about how the hitch was bent? Did it happen during transportation? Was the JT struck somehow, is there other damage that cant be seen?

OP
OP
goose464

goose464

First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I would worry about how the hitch was bent? Did it happen during transportation? Was the JT struck somehow, is there other damage that cant be seen?
Didn't look like any other damage but I am looking at it tomorrow. It's the small piece of metal off to the left of the hitch that you would normally place safety chains. It must've happened some time ago because it shows rust.

Ozarkgolfer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland/BMW X2
Occupation
International Logistics
My dealer just sent me a pic of my gladiator that was delivered today. The hitch is bent and rusted. Their solution is to order the assembly and replace. Anyone know what this entails? Is welding involved? Should I be worried about the dealer handling this work?
I'm surprised the dealer called to tell you - I thought the M.O. was to have the body-shop fix it and you be none the wiser.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
I got rear-ended and had the hitch replaced. It is a large assembly that bolts onto the frame via brackets. Confirm with the dealer to use new bolts. The factory service manual states that some of the bolts (cant recall which, will update) need to be new, not re-used. The parts distributor and dealer could not find/order the bolts for the hitch assembly so I authorized the shop to re-use the old ones.

Sponsored

OP
OP
goose464

goose464

First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I got rear-ended and had the hitch replaced. It is a large assembly that bolts onto the frame via brackets. Confirm with the dealer to use new bolts. The factory service manual states that some of the bolts (cant recall which, will update) need to be new, not re-used. The parts distributor and dealer could not find/order the bolts for the hitch assembly so I authorized the shop to re-use the old ones.
Thank you! That alleviates my concern of them doing any welding. Still a concern of how it happened and if there is unseen damage.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
Thank you! That alleviates my concern of them doing any welding. Still a concern of how it happened and if there is unseen damage.
this is the only spot I could find needing to use new bolts after removal of something
Jeep Gladiator Hitch is bent and rusted on new Gladiator Sport S Max Tow D900E9AF-4A9A-4B6B-B7B5-7A265BD83F32

radioinstl

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to be Gladiator
inspect frame for damage forces transferred due to impact. Look where it bolts on to the frame

361Sean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubi. 2006 Liberty. 2003 Ram 2500 CTD, and a couple of Hogs.
I wouldn't be too upset. It most look likely happened in transport and doesn't look that bad. That part that is bent is thin. It doesn't look like it took a big hit so I highly doubt there is any frame dammage.

Just give a look underneath to put your mind at ease and enjoy your new jeep I'm surprised they called you. It would have been easier to just change the part.

Sponsored

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care

Jeep Gladiator Hitch is bent and rusted on new Gladiator Sport S Max Tow D900E9AF-4A9A-4B6B-B7B5-7A265BD83F32
Hi there,
We are sorry to see that this happened! However, we are confident in your dealer to repair the part properly. If you'd like our additional support during this service, feel free to send us a private message.

Kathryn
JeepCares

Outdoor

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Galdiator Rubicon x2 (my wife and I - Rubicons), 2016 Cherokee - (sonā€™s)
Occupation
Security Stuff
I swapped in a Mopar Class IV hitch this last weekend - took about 2 hours at a casual pace. Not a big job at all. Iā€™d just recommend checking the torque on the bolts. Looks to me like they used the safety chain loops for a tie-down at some point during transportation - weeks ago based on the rust.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I think I'm seeing abrasion marks where the rust is the metal was abrasion from the bottom up. Like it was slid down concrete or hit with a grinder wheel. It could have been tied down and rubbing on rusty steel, during shipping or when unloading. I'd be pissed not so much with your dealer, it seems like your dealership is doing you right. Replacing and keeping you informed. Do look it over and under.

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
Repaint the hitch and have your dealer take the coast of the new one off your truck. Use that cash to go parts shopping.

PsychoAL

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2002 Wrangler

You have to remove the bumper to replace the hitch. Good luck ordering one. Mine took six months to get in...
Sponsored