Hitch not installed

Dreaded1

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
I purchased my Rubicon off the lot last week. I saw the trailer wiring harness but didn't notice the hitch was not installed and the tow package was not listed on the window sticker. I needed the hitch for a trip next week and couldn't risk ordering online and it not getting here in time, so I called the dealership and they had one in stock for $265, which I was ok with. I asked the rep if they had a military/vet discount and he said he could do something for me. When I got to the counter her had marked it down to $225, and I was out the door for $240 after taxes. Hopefully I will be able to install it tonight with the help of a friend.
Sponsored

sarcasm

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
There are two options for adding a hitch. What you have now if you look closely is the ability to attach a ball\hitch to the bumper. The other is to get the full Trailer Hitch Receiver that attaches to the frame and replaces the one that will be attached to your bumper now. I was able to get the more robust frame attached for under $300.

Frame attached: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RTZN17T/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bumper Attached: https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/covering-the-hitch-cut-in.32027/post-520962

NOt sure which the dealer is giving you but I would rather have the frame attached option.

OP
OP
Dreaded1

Dreaded1

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
There are two options for adding a hitch. What you have now if you look closely is the ability to attach a ball\hitch to the bumper. The other is to get the full Trailer Hitch Receiver that attaches to the frame and replaces the one that will be attached to your bumper now. I was able to get the more robust frame attached for under $300.

Frame attached: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RTZN17T/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bumper Attached: https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/covering-the-hitch-cut-in.32027/post-520962

NOt sure which the dealer is giving you but I would rather have the frame attached option.
I got the hitch that attaches to the frame.

OP
OP
Dreaded1

Dreaded1

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
The swap went well last night, we only ran into one issue. The new receiver did not come with the inserts for the bolts that attach the bumper to the bottom of the hitch. We tried to get the inserts out of the original one, with no luck. Other than that, it went pretty smoothly.

Batts65

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
auto claims
Dreaded, do you think that you will not have as much towing capacity since it did not come with the hitch??

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dreaded1

Dreaded1

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
The hitch I intalled is the factory hitch capable of towing 7600lbs. As far as I know the Rubicon can tow 7000lbs. This should be more than substantial.

NaughtyGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator JTR
The tow package is not just the hitch. The vehicle gets upgraded cooling as well as alternator iirc. Be careful what you tow in what conditions as overheating could well be an issue for you without the cooling upgrades.

OP
OP
Dreaded1

Dreaded1

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
The tow package is not just the hitch. The vehicle gets upgraded cooling as well as alternator iirc. Be careful what you tow in what conditions as overheating could well be an issue for you without the cooling upgrades.
Damn I was afraid of that. I will look into it more. I was told the Rubicon can tow 7K lbs as is.

NaughtyGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator JTR
According to the manual the Rubicon is the only model that doesn't have different tow ratings for with and without the tow package so perhaps you're ok. The only tow rating change on the Rubicon is manual vs automatic transmission.

TowRating.PNG

Sponsored

WhippetTaxi

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2017 Lotus Evora 410, 2011 BMW 1M, 2001 F250
Occupation
Retired
Don't forget to investigate brake controllers if you are towing anything with substantial weight (and elec brakes).

sarcasm

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
The extra engineering may make it better at the fringes of capacity but you would not notice it in most cases. Your real issue is the door sticker does not match what it probably can do with the upgraded hitch. That could be an issue with your insurance company if you ever get into an accident. (Less likely but still possible, law enforcement)

OP
OP
Dreaded1

Dreaded1

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Don't forget to investigate brake controllers if you are towing anything with substantial weight (and elec brakes).
I have already looked into brake controllers, I know I will need that
Sponsored