Sponsored

Hoist question

Mojave2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator
I have a garage that’s not very deep. Anyone aware of a hoist setup that could work in this scenario?

The ceiling at its highest point is 9 ft. There is a cross beam at 94 inches. The low point of the garage door is 87”. My Gladiator is 6 ft tall and the hard top can only get into the garage about an inch beyond the crossbeam.
Jeep Gladiator Hoist question 31B55AD4-949A-4678-84FE-FBCD5AA963E1

Jeep Gladiator Hoist question 41089E02-F546-46E5-928F-A3DAA05440EA
Sponsored

Sarge502

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Vehicle Showcase
Mine works like a charm. All Husky brand cam buckles and hooks. Although the hooks say you can go into drywall, I went into the studs.

only difference I did from the video is since my ceiling is pretty high unlike his mini car port, and the hooks obviously attach to a lower point on the hard top in the rear, I went with 10foot cam buckles in the rear and 6 foot up front. Home Depot for the win.

Jeep Gladiator Hoist question C3C69A56-5EBD-4822-B190-49D7551E0522

Jeep Gladiator Hoist question 2217C78B-2C95-43BB-82FD-F59D836EE3A8

Jeep Gladiator Hoist question B68ED141-7851-4585-AB0A-1A3C19EB532E

Jeep Gladiator Hoist question 40BA7EDD-3011-48CD-AE39-06B202853D41

Jeep Gladiator Hoist question D4CBA71C-D51E-45BB-A750-A44E4009F01F

Jeep Gladiator Hoist question E71C284D-88C7-475E-816B-33749456EFDD

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Can you mount the hoist in this cubby area with an arrow and run the line across the garage to a pulley, the red line

Jeep Gladiator Hoist question 1627144197279

Sarge502

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Vehicle Showcase
Can you mount the hoist in this cubby area with an arrow and run the line across the garage to a pulley, the red line

1627144197279.png
I’m sure you could but seems a bit intricate without actually seeing it in person. Not sure how deep the garage is either. But if the JT can back up that far into the cubby with rear clearance than just mount it in that area without Pullys. In my opinion pullys complicate things, and I’ve seen all kind of high tech unecessary hoist out there. I’m not a cheap dude by any means I’m actually quite the opposite. But I couldn’t have spent a better $50 on my hoist. And that’s even after I bought the longer straps for the rear after trial and error buying the 6 foot all around.

I drive that bad boy right on out once attached. I always back into my garage even before having the JT

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mojave2021

Mojave2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator

1627144197279.png
Thanks yes that was my thought as well. I think it’d need to be as far to the front of the garage as possible. I basically can only get the rear of the hardtop lined up with the rear of the cross beam. I’ll see if I can get a pic later with the JT in the garage.

I did talk to J Barr this morning and they thought I could mount their bracket horizontally close to that cross beam. They sent me this pic of that type of setup.

Jeep Gladiator Hoist question 140C447B-15A2-4F70-B4B2-8E283966DA48

Sponsored

cdyoung9799

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator
Thanks yes that was my thought as well. I think it’d need to be as far to the front of the garage as possible. I basically can only get the rear of the hardtop lined up with the rear of the cross beam. I’ll see if I can get a pic later with the JT in the garage.

I did talk to J Barr this morning and they thought I could mount their bracket horizontally close to that cross beam. They sent me this pic of that type of setup.

Jeep Gladiator Hoist question 140C447B-15A2-4F70-B4B2-8E283966DA48
Based on your limited space, I think j.o.y.ride is spot on if you're wanting to do an actual hoist set-up vs the ratchet straps. If there's attic space over the rear section of your garage, I've even seen guys install the hoist in the attic (like the photo you attached), then cut small holes in the drywall to drop the cables down through. But, I assume you have a second story over this section due to the cross beam. I'm not a fan of the ratchet strap method because I know I would jack this up and my top would drop, but I have a lot of friends that use this, and it works perfectly for them. Not to mention, it's one of the most cost-effective DIY "lifts" you can do.

OP
OP
Mojave2021

Mojave2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator
I’m sure you could but seems a bit intricate without actually seeing it in person. Not sure how deep the garage is either. But if the JT can back up that far into the cubby with rear clearance than just mount it in that area without Pullys. In my opinion pullys complicate things, and I’ve seen all kind of high tech unecessary hoist out there. I’m not a cheap dude by any means I’m actually quite the opposite. But I couldn’t have spent a better $50 on my hoist. And that’s even after I bought the longer straps for the rear after trial and error buying the 6 foot all around.

I drive that bad boy right on out once attached. I always back into my garage even before having the JT
Thanks again for your help. I think given my limited space the strap based solution is a safer bet. What would you recommend in terms of strap length given that the ceiling height above the front of the roof is 8.25 ft and the ceiling above the rear of the roof is a bit over 9 feet?

My Home Depot only has the 10 ft straps in stock right now and I’m wondering if that’ll be too long.

Sarge502

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks again for your help. I think given my limited space the strap based solution is a safer bet. What would you recommend in terms of strap length given that the ceiling height above the front of the roof is 8.25 ft and the ceiling above the rear of the roof is a bit over 9 feet?

My Home Depot only has the 10 ft straps in stock right now and I’m wondering if that’ll be too long.

Based off that I actually would go with the 10 foot ones. Better longer than shorter. But I honestly don't think they'll even be too long anyways. I initially bought a set of 4, 6 footers cause the guy in the video did. They worked, but fully extended i would still have to physically lift the back part of the hard top up on the hooks which wsnt too bad but kind of defeated the purpose. Also since the straps were fully extended cause my ceilings overall height was a lot larger than the guy in the video I followed was, I had to get a ladder to even grab the handle part of the strap just to pull it down. So I went and got 10 foot ones for the rear and just left the 6 foot up front since the hooks attach at a higher point. I could have still went with the 10 foot up front too but the 6ft works, so I just kept it. But sounds like although you have a little cubby area the deal with and work around, your overall ceiling height is similar to mine, so I'd jus got with the 10 foot all around and just even out the access if its a little long, as you can see I did in my pics. Works like a charm, that's why I find it odd when people do all these intricate hoist etc, when most isn't necessary unless you just want a badass set up to look good. Mine holds fine. I'm off work every other weekend. And although my JT is garage kept all the time. When I'm off for multiple days at a time and the weather is nice. My top stays off and lifted slightly above it. I'm just careful backing in but it stays in place.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

Chance575

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C
Occupation
D
You could buy some garage door tracks. Hang them from the ceiling and build a carriage to go on it. Drop ratchet straps from that down. Lift off top, slide back out of the way

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mojave2021

Mojave2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator
Based off that I actually would go with the 10 foot ones. Better longer than shorter. But I honestly don't think they'll even be too long anyways. I initially bought a set of 4, 6 footers cause the guy in the video did. They worked, but fully extended i would still have to physically lift the back part of the hard top up on the hooks which wsnt too bad but kind of defeated the purpose. Also since the straps were fully extended cause my ceilings overall height was a lot larger than the guy in the video I followed was, I had to get a ladder to even grab the handle part of the strap just to pull it down. So I went and got 10 foot ones for the rear and just left the 6 foot up front since the hooks attach at a higher point. I could have still went with the 10 foot up front too but the 6ft works, so I just kept it. But sounds like although you have a little cubby area the deal with and work around, your overall ceiling height is similar to mine, so I'd jus got with the 10 foot all around and just even out the access if its a little long, as you can see I did in my pics. Works like a charm, that's why I find it odd when people do all these intricate hoist etc, when most isn't necessary unless you just want a badass set up to look good. Mine holds fine. I'm off work every other weekend. And although my JT is garage kept all the time. When I'm off for multiple days at a time and the weather is nice. My top stays off and lifted slightly above it. I'm just careful backing in but it stays in place.

Hope that helps. Good luck.
Sorry one more question - what screws/bolts did you use on the ceiling anchors?

Sarge502

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry one more question - what screws/bolts did you use on the ceiling anchors?

Yeah no problem. See below. I believe the make different load weights for these in the same brand. So if so get the strongest obviously. Brand really shouldn’t matter. But I got these which says you can go into drywall but I personally felt better about going into wood. So I found my studs and just screwed right into them without using the anchor piece, only the hook itself after predrilling the hole. Anything else just holler.

5114BE00-BFE4-4CE8-9AFE-F36F0DFC0869.jpeg

Verne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Higher Education
Do you have the anchor point measurements? Sorry If I missed.

93civej1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Sport S (Max Tow)
Mine works like a charm. All Husky brand cam buckles and hooks. Although the hooks say you can go into drywall, I went into the studs.

only difference I did from the video is since my ceiling is pretty high unlike his mini car port, and the hooks obviously attach to a lower point on the hard top in the rear, I went with 10foot cam buckles in the rear and 6 foot up front. Home Depot for the win.

Jeep Gladiator Hoist question 5114BE00-BFE4-4CE8-9AFE-F36F0DFC0869

How do you lower down when its time? Looks like you would have to climb up somewhere to hit the release on each one
Sponsored