Threads
Reaction score
Website
hotheadheadliners.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 JLU Rubicon, 1989 YJ
Occupation
Jeep Headliners
I just picked up my new Gladiator from Kent in Idaho, and he warned me that Hothead Headliners (while awesome and the best sound reduction out there) are having an adhesive problem. He's had multiple customers whose Headliners have fallen off, and the company has had to send stronger adhesive out for all pieces (top, sides, and sound assassin strips). He warned me to contact them and make sure they sent the stronger adhesive with my order.

Anyone else seen this issue? Given that Las Vegas will hit 115F this summer, that's definitely a concern for me
My rears fell down but are caught on the inner trim so I haven't fixed it yet. They still work great. Fronts and sides are good though.
I was having the issue with mine. Called the company. They quickly sent out to me new heavy duty 3M tape, a new tool and links to video detailing installing with the new tape. Zero issues with the new tape following their instructions to the letter.
Are the current units being shipped with the better/heavier duty adhesive tape? ... Are the panels coming unattached at random still a thing?
Thanks.

Well, if I ordered them today, would they come with the new adhesive or the old weaker stuff? I'd want to install it right the first time.

No reports of the MOPAR headliners falling off, not that I've seen anyway.
I suppose I could order them now anyway, but just wait til the spring or early summer for warmer temps to attach them. The highs here this week will barely hit 20-degs.

Maybe, when ordering, I can specify wanting the 'big boy' adhesive sent along so I don't have to chase it down later under warranty, ... you know, after a panel suddenly dislodges and hits my face and hair at a critical moment while off-roading. ;)
I'm in a similar boat, want to buy the headliner but not likely to install until Spring, and I also would like the "big boy" adhesive by default. Maybe Hothead could answer that question, are they automatically shipping with the better adhesive?
@Hothead Headliners added to this conversation for maybe some clarity? I was under the assumption it was the same VHB just replacement
Got mine for Christmas and one of the rear panels is falling.
Hey Everyone, it seems like there are some questions and maybe a little confusion regarding our Hothead Headliners and adhesive, so I'll try my best to clarify everything as best as possible, but please feel free to reach out to me directly with any additional questions.

The adhesive we use for our Hard Top Headliners is a high-quality 3M VHB tape with a high heat rating of 300°+ degrees Fahrenheit. It's pretty serious tape and we are using more than needed on the headliner panels for more than a proper weight/tape ratio. With proper preparation, it should last a lifetime.

We are aware that some folks may miss a preparation step and also that installation conditions aren't always perfect, which both can absolutely cause issues. The tape itself is very consistent but I'm sure it does fail on occasion for no reason, but this is rare.

As mentioned in previous comments, whenever there is an issue with the adhesive not sticking, we will take care of you and send out new tape and instructions to replace, on us. We pride ourselves with providing all of our customers with the best customer service as possible and we want everyone to be 100% satisfied with our products & service. We are a part of this Jeep community and not just a random vendor selling products from China so this really means a lot to us.

Replacement Tape: Reading everyone's comments about this "big boy" tape made me laugh a little. The replacement tape we send out to folks that are having issues is the exact same, high-quality 3M VHB tape that comes standard on every headliner we sell. It's not bigger, stronger or better than the original. As described above the original is already plenty strong.

Cold Weather Installation: In addition to the proper preparation steps, it's also important that you're installing in the proper temperature. We recommend installing in no less than 70° degrees Fahrenheit. We understand that many folks live in different climates, especially in the winter, so please don't worry. As long as you follow our Cold Weather Installation instructions, everything will install and adhere perfectly.

Here are a few [VIDEO] resources to help clarify things further.

Removing Your Panels

Replacing the 3M Tape

Prepping Your Hard Top

Installing Your Headliners

Cold Weather Installation

If you have any further questions or need replacement tape, please contact me directly or email our team at [email protected]

Thanks,
-Mark
Sponsored

Last edited:

Moabite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
I installed my headliners and sound assassin strips last December when it was 22 degrees outside. I brought the Freedom Panels inside the cabin to warm them prior to install. For the rear, I ran the heater for about 10 minutes and used a heat gun to warm the top. I did minimal sanding on the rear because I did not want fine white dust all over the interior. It has been nearly a year and they still adhere perfectly to the top.

Hothead Headliners

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Mark Ambrose
Threads
Reaction score
Website
hotheadheadliners.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Jeep Headliners
I installed my headliners and sound assassin strips last December when it was 22 degrees outside. I brought the Freedom Panels inside the cabin to warm them prior to install. For the rear, I ran the heater for about 10 minutes and used a heat gun to warm the top. I did minimal sanding on the rear because I did not want fine white dust all over the interior. It has been nearly a year and they still adhere perfectly to the top.
We're glad to hear that your Gladiator headliners are still going strong! Thanks for sharing.

Mouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I installed (per the instructions) Hothead headliners in my wife's JKU in late 2018...still go-to-go!

Delhux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator - Overland - Gator
I did a garage install of mine last December (New England) without removing the hardtop (tried to work around the roll cage pillar). I was able to leave the freedom panels in the sun to help warm them up and I had the garage heat turned on to help. I started with the freedom panel and roof sections, then did the vertical pieces on the rear of the hard top.

The panels on the roof and freedom panels have been perfectly adhered for nearly a year and are great.

The vertical pieces in the rear started to come off after a few months—I attribute that to my own poor install (had a difficult time preparing the surface around the roll cage pillar, I don’t think I did a good job of pressing them into place with my awkward contortions, and since I did those panels last and drove out of the heated garage, I didn’t do a sufficient job of following the cold weather install directions).

With all of that said, at the beginning of the summer I contacted their customer service and they sent out the additional adhesive kit along with a roller and a link to their re-install video. I followed the directions and re-did the vertical pieces in warm weather with the hardtop removed.

It’s been perfect since.

Really great product, awesome and quick customer service, and they already had everything I needed—almost as though I wasn’t their first idiot of a customer botching the install of their otherwise excellent product ;).

Mark, thanks again!

Sponsored

Hothead Headliners

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Mark Ambrose
Threads
Reaction score
Website
hotheadheadliners.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Jeep Headliners
I installed (per the instructions) Hothead headliners in my wife's JKU in late 2018...still go-to-go!
Awesome!
I did a garage install of mine last December (New England) without removing the hardtop (tried to work around the roll cage pillar). I was able to leave the freedom panels in the sun to help warm them up and I had the garage heat turned on to help. I started with the freedom panel and roof sections, then did the vertical pieces on the rear of the hard top.

The panels on the roof and freedom panels have been perfectly adhered for nearly a year and are great.

The vertical pieces in the rear started to come off after a few months—I attribute that to my own poor install (had a difficult time preparing the surface around the roll cage pillar, I don’t think I did a good job of pressing them into place with my awkward contortions, and since I did those panels last and drove out of the heated garage, I didn’t do a sufficient job of following the cold weather install directions).

With all of that said, at the beginning of the summer I contacted their customer service and they sent out the additional adhesive kit along with a roller and a link to their re-install video. I followed the directions and re-did the vertical pieces in warm weather with the hardtop removed.

It’s been perfect since.

Really great product, awesome and quick customer service, and they already had everything I needed—almost as though I wasn’t their first idiot of a customer botching the install of their otherwise excellent product ;).

Mark, thanks again!
You're welcome! Thank you for sharing your experience.

SoK66

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport (3)
Occupation
Land Tours Manager, Jeep Tour Guide
Bringing this back up. The install on my new Gladiator did not go at all well. They provide a skimpy amount of the 3M tape adhesive. We thoroughly scuffed and acetone prepped the mounting areas of the roof panels per their supplied instructions. Despite this the panels one at a time fell off. I ended up getting some 38 pound Gorilla Tape and about doubled the mounting tape area. I had this same issue with the Mopar headliner kit several years ago on my JK. Mopar didn’t supply anywhere near enough 3M mounting tape to secure the weight of the headliner. I’m disappointed that for my Gladiator Hotheads supplied even less. The Girilla Tape was quite expensive and ate up any discount I got for the kit.

Almost

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD & 09 JKU
Bringing this back up. The install on my new Gladiator did not go at all well. They provide a skimpy amount of the 3M tape adhesive. We thoroughly scuffed and acetone prepped the mounting areas of the roof panels per their supplied instructions. Despite this the panels one at a time fell off.
What was the temperature at the time of install? If you sanded and prepped with Acetone we can only infer that it was a temp issue.

I've ran two sets of these now in my JK and JT for years without issue. I bought both sets years apart and they have the same amount of 3M VHT tape - there was no 'skimping" or any noticeable difference in quality.

SoK66

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport (3)
Occupation
Land Tours Manager, Jeep Tour Guide
I’d say room temp. I did the Freedom Panels on the dinning room table and the hardtop panels in a heated garage. There are only two thin strips of the 3M tape on each panel, and the panels have some weight to them. Needs at least double what they supply.

Last edited:

Hothead Headliners

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Mark Ambrose
Threads
Reaction score
Website
hotheadheadliners.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Jeep Headliners
Bringing this back up. The install on my new Gladiator did not go at all well. They provide a skimpy amount of the 3M tape adhesive. We thoroughly scuffed and acetone prepped the mounting areas of the roof panels per their supplied instructions. Despite this the panels one at a time fell off. I ended up getting some 38 pound Gorilla Tape and about doubled the mounting tape area. I had this same issue with the Mopar headliner kit several years ago on my JK. Mopar didn’t supply anywhere near enough 3M mounting tape to secure the weight of the headliner. I’m disappointed that for my Gladiator Hotheads supplied even less. The Girilla Tape was quite expensive and ate up any discount I got for the kit.
Hi Jerry, I'm very sorry you're having issues with your headliner not staying adhered. I can assure you that the adhesive we use is more than adequate to securely install your headliners to your hard top. This particular adhesive is a high-quality, commercial-grade 3M VHB tape with a high heat rating of over 300°+ degrees Fahrenheit. It's acrylic based whereas most consumer tapes are rubber based. It's pretty serious (and expensive) tape and we are using more than needed on the headliner panels for a proper weight-to-tape ratio. With proper preparation and installation, they should last the life of your Jeep.

Having said that, we do have less than a 1% failure rate for whatever reason. We also understand that things happen and conditions aren't always perfect. We take a lot of pride in both our products and customer service and want everyone to be 100% satisfied. Whenever anyone has an issue with the tape, we take care of it no problem and send out new tape and instructions. I wish you would have contacted us to rectify your issue. Hopefully the Gorilla tape will hold but almost every consumer tape you can find at the big box stores is rubber based and won't typically last in the higher heat regions. If you do have any issues in the future, please email us at Support@HotheadHeadliners and we will gladly take care of you.

Thank you for your business and I'm sorry again that you had issues.
-Mark
Sponsored