First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon GATOR
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
I only ask because I believe they are quite capable. Trail rated. Able to run the rubicon trail stock (carefully) Right ? So why is everyone telling me oh you got to lift it run larger tires crazy suspension ? To really enjoy it off road. And a basic kit like a spacer lift won’t cut it? Still has the rubicon suspension right ? I kinda feel like there is a lotta hype to do after market stuff. Oh I get it though I have dumped a bunch of money inso far And am getting ready to do more.
Sponsored

Deadeye

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
Particularly with the Rubicon trim, but even with a base model, our trucks will go beyond what most people are comfortable with. The only real issue that the gladiator has compared to another Jeep is the long wheel base generates a lower break over angle, and the bed makes departure angles a little less desirable. these things can get you stuck, but are pretty easy to self recover from most of the time.

I do think with the extended wheel base, a sturdy rock rail is much more important, but other than that, you are going to be able to go places you won't even want to.

HorneyBadger

First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport, 2022 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Performance Analyst
Yes it is an extremely capable vehicle. The key is "Trail" rated. Not climbing boulders rated. The Rubicon Trail has some nasty parts and the stock Rubi will make it but not without some bangs, dings and bruises. It will perform Medium trails with no issue. If you are looking to get out on the hard trails you really need to think about lifting it up some.

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Architectural Illustrator
Can a stock Gladiator Rubicon go through the Rubicon? I’m not sure about that. If so it would be a real challenge. I do think a simple space lift and 35s would be plenty to make it a lot more capable. Simple because it improves clearance and traction.

Bowerss2

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator, 1980 Chevrolet Corvette, 1930 Ford Roadster Pickup, 1930 Ford Station Wagon, 1930 Ford Phaeton, and an awesome 2004 Ford E-250 (the dangerwagon)
Yes it is an extremely capable vehicle. The key is "Trail" rated. Not climbing boulders rated. The Rubicon Trail has some nasty parts and the stock Rubi will make it but not without some bangs, dings and bruises. It will perform Medium trails with no issue. If you are looking to get out on the hard trails you really need to think about lifting it up some.
^This.

Im doing a somewhat mild build with my rubi, small lift, 35s, winch. Honestly if i plan on tackling some harder stuff im going to get a TJ that i dont care about. Honestly with what some people spend on these things (dana 60s, etc etc) they could just buy a trail jeep for bashing and leave theirs stock.

Sponsored

Bowerss2

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator, 1980 Chevrolet Corvette, 1930 Ford Roadster Pickup, 1930 Ford Station Wagon, 1930 Ford Phaeton, and an awesome 2004 Ford E-250 (the dangerwagon)
Can a stock Gladiator Rubicon go through the Rubicon? I’m not sure about that. If so it would be a real challenge. I do think a simple space lift and 35s would be plenty to make it a lot more capable. Simple because it improves clearance and traction.
There is a video somewhere of a guy running the rubicon in a stock rubi gladiator. He didnt do any of the super challenging trails though, and he did get some damage going through. I wouldnt recommend.

HorneyBadger

First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport, 2022 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Performance Analyst
Early outing with the Overland. The drop off on the other side was :surprised:

teeter.jpg

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
My Sport S on 33s with rock rails and fox shocks was quite capable.
I know I did things with ease that left some highly modded Tacomas stuck.
Was I climbing giant boulders? No.
I did get asked if I had lockers.... I do not. 20psi in the tires and went for it. Did not even need a spotter.
Did not disconnect front sway bar. I will next time just to see the difference.

Caraholic

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
81’ Cherokee,20' GMC AT4, ‘18 4Runner, cross-trek
Occupation
professional big dumb animal.........
I say lightly- best way to know is get some strong recovery gear for the just in case your stuck scenario. Then go be carefully adventurous with some friends and find out!

Sponsored

AmishMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 56 Coronet, 65 Dune Buggy,
Occupation
Whipping boy
Jeep Gladiator How capable is a bone stock rubicon? Jeep3wheeli

Stock Rubicon, 3 people, 20 psi, swaybar disconnected. Long wheelbase made this easy. (trail 11 at Rausch Creek). Have since added Rusty's lower control arm skids and have already abused them, they are a must. I have also made good use of the stock skid plates. The key to survival is going SLOW.

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
How capable is a bone stock rubicon?

A "bone stock Rubicon" will do more than most anyone will want to do with it. I say that because it will run trails most won't want to run only because of the risk of damage to the Jeep.

It'll certainly do way more than 90+% of owners will try to do.

And as for modifying a Rubicon (any Jeep), many of the mods will enable the Jeep to do even more, do it more easily and reduce the risk of damage (e.g., suspension lift and larger diameter tires).

The questions and discussions would be better focused on how owners can learn how to improve their off road skills and increase their success (and reducing damage) off the pavement

AmishMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 56 Coronet, 65 Dune Buggy,
Occupation
Whipping boy
@WhatExit?
Much agreed about learning what you and your vehicle can do. I have taken advantage of guided rides to have an idea of where my limits are and the mechanical limitations of the truck. That being said, my passengers have chosen to exit the vehicle a few times while I attacked an obstacle.
I have found that the bigger the obstacle, the better we do. We get out and look and assess the situation, it is always that darned 'small' rock that comes out of nowhere and spills your coffee.
I am no pro by any means but have put the JTR through places that I have seen 4 dr Jeeps with lifts and 35's get tight. A few inches to the side or a few degrees different approach make all the difference. Oh, and don't forget to dodge with your diffs!

HooliganActual

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
So I'll offer my experience...I own a 2016 JKUR, a 2018 JKUR and a 2020 JTR. The 2016 I drive and it is built up a little (2.5" AEV lift and 35's) and my wife drives the 2018 that is stock (we did put 33's and a leveling kit on it because the wife hated the factory rake). My wife follows everywhere I go in her essentially stock Rubicon, and we have run some doozies. Since my Wrangler has more clearance than hers, she often has to take different lines than I do, but those Jeeps, Rubicon or not, can take on just about anything you point them at if you take the right line. A good spotter can get you through just about anything.

Now I know that is a Wrangler story but the principle is the same. Our JTR is rigged out for overlanding (Alucab topper, RTT, kitchen, etc.) and it is just at the limit of the suspension. I literally had to shift things around to keep the rear from sagging. Nonetheless, we just got back from a week in Grand Junction, CO running trails and the only real issue we had is that I was constantly dragging belly on things. That goes back to breakover angle which has been mentioned.

Rubicon, Sport, Mojave, etc., the biggest challenge you will have with a Jeep on a trail is getting over some rock(s) that there is no way around. In order to do that, you need a better breakover angle (clearance). That means more distance between the ground and the axle: bigger tires. And in order to get those bigger tires, you need some lift. Unless you are only running maintained forest service roads, you are likely going to find some obstacle where a little more clearance is the difference between rubbing or not; high-centering or not; turning around or finishing the trail.