Sponsored

How do I get a CB/HAM microphone mounted here? Has anyone drilled it?

FR33DOM

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Hyundai Veracruz & 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon LE
The flat area between the rear defrost button and the grab bar is the ideal place for a microphone mount. However, I've yet to find a drill free solution. CoolTech is close but I don't want the microphone up high over the vent and I want to mount a magnetic mic. There is also JeepUniq but their solution is even worse as it is too far to the right along the grab bar so the cord will be hanging in the passengers lap or on their leg from what I see.

I've seen on a different forum someone did the drill job (see photo). Frankly I'm not selling the JT any time soon so it may come down to getting out the drill. Is there any other solution that I've missed?

Lastly, if I was to drill it, is there enough material there for self-tapping screws or would I need bolts? I'm not sure what is behind that part of the panel. (bonus question) how much $$ would it cost to replace that panel if I drilled it and wanted to replace it with an undrilled OEM panel in the future?)

Jeep Gladiator How do I get a CB/HAM microphone mounted here?  Has anyone drilled it? IMG_20190818_142519
Sponsored

bainbridge-xj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Cherokee XJ, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
That is a great place for a microphone mount. I would recommend nylon locking nuts to secure the mount- there is plenty of space behind the trim. There are some videos online which show how to remove the trim- very easy to do. My only recommendation is to move the mount as far right as possible. As you can see, my microphone is really close to the knob and ideally I would have mounted it farther to the right.

thumbnail.jpg

IMG_0475 (1).jpg

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
The flat area between the rear defrost button and the grab bar is the ideal place for a microphone mount. However, I've yet to find a drill free solution. CoolTech is close but I don't want the microphone up high over the vent and I want to mount a magnetic mic. There is also JeepUniq but their solution is even worse as it is too far to the right along the grab bar so the cord will be hanging in the passengers lap or on their leg from what I see.

I've seen on a different forum someone did the drill job (see photo). Frankly I'm not selling the JT any time soon so it may come down to getting out the drill. Is there any other solution that I've missed?

Lastly, if I was to drill it, is there enough material there for self-tapping screws or would I need bolts? I'm not sure what is behind that part of the panel. (bonus question) how much $$ would it cost to replace that panel if I drilled it and wanted to replace it with an undrilled OEM panel in the future?)

Jeep Gladiator How do I get a CB/HAM microphone mounted here?  Has anyone drilled it? IMG_0475 (1)
There's a place that sells mounting options that go in the bolt hole in the grab handle.

Some of that 3M tape may work. It has held a small mirror to the bottom of my outside mirror for about six months, so far.

RatZer0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JT
Occupation
Manufacturing Stellantis
OP
OP
FR33DOM

FR33DOM

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Hyundai Veracruz & 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon LE
Sorry for the late reply but just wanted to share some updates. I did end up taking the plunge and drilling out the two holes to install the Magnetic Mic. Had a bit more challenge in getting the trim off (didn't damage anything visible) but did slightly damage a clip retainer on the back side of the trim piece itself but it still holds the clip and I think works nearly as strong as original. Worst case is it can be replaced, but so far so good. It does slightly wiggle when using the magnetic mic now. Not sure it will ever get worse or could be better as it the trim is only held in place by the one plastic clip at that point.

I also found the magnetic Mic "button" that attaches to the microphone via set screw is strong metal and was bending the plastic "button" on the original Yaesu. I found a $6.00 aluminum universal mount button from Amazon and using the original Yaesu screw attached it to the microphone along with some JB Weld as the magnet is too strong and it would cause the original plastic button and screw to rotate. Now it is solid and I don't anticipate any issues and am very happy with the look and function. I'm glad I did this as 3M tape I don't think would be any match for the strength of these magnets!

I also am pleased with the position of the microphone now. I think this is ideal for a microphone. Most of the other options interfere with the passenger's legs or the vents, etc. This is tucked just enough to the side that it doesn't hang on the passenger at all and is out of the way of all other functions.

Jeep Gladiator How do I get a CB/HAM microphone mounted here?  Has anyone drilled it? IMG_2879.JPG
Jeep Gladiator How do I get a CB/HAM microphone mounted here?  Has anyone drilled it? IMG_2880.JPG
Jeep Gladiator How do I get a CB/HAM microphone mounted here?  Has anyone drilled it? IMG_2881.JPG
Jeep Gladiator How do I get a CB/HAM microphone mounted here?  Has anyone drilled it? IMG_2882.JPG
Jeep Gladiator How do I get a CB/HAM microphone mounted here?  Has anyone drilled it? IMG_2883.JPG
Sponsored