Sponsored

How do I unmarry and remove my tazer?

19Delta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Built JKUR to an F150 FX4, to my 2022 Mojave!
Sorry, I have searched, and followed the instructions. But, I am obviously doing something wrong. I had a new windshield installed, so I had to take it to get calibrated. On the way there I remembered I should remove it. So I went thru the tazer menu to "unmarry" it, and then it did its reboot and counted down. Then I closed the door, waited 60 seconds after the screen went black, then opened the door and did it again. Then I unplugged the tazer. Then my 8.4 screen went black. It will not come back on.

Then I go to dealer, and they say they are completely locked out and can't access the modules, computer or anything. So I told them I have an auto stop/start disabler and I need to uninstall and then I will come back.

I leave, and plug in my tazer (without marrying) and everything works as before when I had the tazer plugged in. Does that mean I didn't unmarry it? If so, at what point do I unplug it?

Sorry, I am normally pretty "techy" and good at figuring things out and following instructions, but this one has me frustrated.

THANK YOU FOR ANY AND ALL HELP!
Sponsored

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
"Select “UNMARRY” to
return the vehicle to stock.

After unmarrying, advance to the “full
reboot?” option and select it, allowing a
full 2.5 minutes for the Tazer JL Mini to
reboot all systems – the Uconnect will
reboot twice in this time, the dash will
reset, and when it’s finished, the red
security dot on the dash will turn on and
back off. A few sleep cycles might be
required for all changes to take effect."

I think you didn't wait long enough. That is straight from Z Automotive website and the instructions for the JL (JT) version.

Ohio JKU

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU
Occupation
PM Construction
Is that 2 separate questions? 😂

OP
OP
19Delta

19Delta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Select “UNMARRY” to
return the vehicle to stock.

After unmarrying, advance to the “full
reboot?” option and select it, allowing a
full 2.5 minutes for the Tazer JL Mini to
reboot all systems – the Uconnect will
reboot twice in this time, the dash will
reset, and when it’s finished, the red
security dot on the dash will turn on and
back off. A few sleep cycles might be
required for all changes to take effect."

I think you didn't wait long enough. That is straight from Z Automotive website and the instructions for the JL (JT) version.
I followed those exact directions. I'll try again. I'm assuming I unplug it after the 2nd sleep?

PlayfulBird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT 2020 Rubicon Gobi
Maybe a dumb question, but: Did you plug the cables back were they originally were plugged in?

Last edited:

Sponsored

teamblkdog

First Name
Christy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
christykintzel.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Alu-Cab Canopy Camper
Occupation
visual designer
A dumb question, but: Did you plug the cables back were they originally were plugged in?
Not a dumb question at all. I've experienced the same as the OP. After unmarrying and removing the Tazer, the screen goes black and no radio/controls because, I'm assuming, I didn't plug the cables back in. Once the Tazer is plugged back in, screen/radio/controls are restored.

OP
OP
19Delta

19Delta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A dumb question, but: Did you plug the cables back were they originally were plugged in?
I did not! I thought where they plugged in was just a plastic holder. Sounds like I didn't wait long enough to unmarry, AND I need to plug back in. You guys rock! Thanks!

Smess

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Diesel, 2021 392, 1982 J10
Sorry, I have searched, and followed the instructions. But, I am obviously doing something wrong. I had a new windshield installed, so I had to take it to get calibrated. On the way there I remembered I should remove it. So I went thru the tazer menu to "unmarry" it, and then it did its reboot and counted down. Then I closed the door, waited 60 seconds after the screen went black, then opened the door and did it again. Then I unplugged the tazer. Then my 8.4 screen went black. It will not come back on.

Then I go to dealer, and they say they are completely locked out and can't access the modules, computer or anything. So I told them I have an auto stop/start disabler and I need to uninstall and then I will come back.

I leave, and plug in my tazer (without marrying) and everything works as before when I had the tazer plugged in. Does that mean I didn't unmarry it? If so, at what point do I unplug it?

Sorry, I am normally pretty "techy" and good at figuring things out and following instructions, but this one has me frustrated.

Exact same thing happened to me except the wndshield. I was getting a second key programmed and the tech said he could not access all the modules. I hooked up my obd2 reader and the codes were related to the security module or some crap which I was told is the thing the tazer plugs are plugged in to.

In the past I have unmarried and never had to reboot. I will try that now and report back.

thanks

zuki_dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 miata & cherokee, 06 ram 2500, 15 mustang,
Occupation
Aircraft Examiner
Definitely plug the cables back in. I had the same issue when I was troubleshooting my truck. Without the cables plugged in thru the Tazer or security module the radio will not boot up.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
The Tazer extension cable is something I would recommend. It extends the Security Gateway plugs down for easy access. It makes connecting a Tazer or bypass cable much easier on your knuckles.

Sponsored

Papa Bear

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR Billet Silver

Who told you you need to unmarry your Tazer in order to install a new windshield?

JTR178

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Occupation
5-0
Who told you you need to unmarry your Tazer in order to install a new windshield?
Assuming he took it to the dealership, Z Automotive recommends it.
Sponsored