Sponsored

How do you deal with the thought of another full size truck?

DylanR

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Putting this hear because if you have thought about another truck it’s prob due to hauling or things of that nature.

First I love my JT... couldnt see myself without it. I def use it just like a full size... just like I did my F150. It does great towing my boat etc.

Occasionally I do this... I would like to have an F250. Mainly because I have two small kids and I tow a fairly large wake boat. My kids rarely ride in the truck.... unless we are headed to the lake. My JT pulls it fine as it’s a max tow.

I have been a Jeep person most of my driving life... always will be.

How do you deal with the thoughts of a real full size truck? What have you done to get that thought out of your head? I have zero plans to trade my JT for one, but I considered trading our Navigator for one.

What have you done to make the gladiator fit your full size truck needs? All my upgrades def made it feel more full size... just missing the room in the back. I did add a tonneau cover which helped for storage.

This is all just in conversation... and thinking out loud.
Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Putting this hear because if you have thought about another truck it’s prob due to hauling or things of that nature.

First I love my JT... couldnt see myself without it. I def use it just like a full size... just like I did my F150. It does great towing my boat etc.

Occasionally I do this... I would like to have an F250. Mainly because I have two small kids and I tow a fairly large wake boat. My kids rarely ride in the truck.... unless we are headed to the lake. My JT pulls it fine as it’s a max tow.

I have been a Jeep person most of my driving life... always will be.

How do you deal with the thoughts of a real full size truck? What have you done to get that thought out of your head? I have zero plans to trade my JT for one, but I considered trading our Navigator for one.

What have you done to make the gladiator fit your full size truck needs? All my upgrades def made it feel more full size... just missing the room in the back. I did add a tonneau cover which helped for storage.

This is all just in conversation... and thinking out loud.
I traded in a four door long bed 2500HD for a Gladiator. In the fourteen years I owned it, I never towed anything the JT couldn't handle. You can always rent for the occasional use. Just make a serious evaluation of the need for use before making a purchase decision. I added a tonneau cover, which makes a big difference. I may put a RSI Smart Cap on in the future.

Just think about how hard it is to park and maneuver a full size truck in most parking lots today. That reminds me why I didn't get a full size truck this time around. They're also more expensive to operate, and without an actual need for one that cost is difficult to justify.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
I have been looking at campers and the JT for sure restricts me a little bit there. But really it just means I am just going to have to pay more for something more modern and lighter than anything else. If I had a larger truck the craigslist special would probably fit my needs.. JT is my first truck, and at first I was like this thing is a beast being able to tow twice what my toyota sienna can. lol

There are times I wish I had something bigger, but I also look at every other truck and think they look lame with their doors and closed top.

To help with the space I first accepted the bed is worthless for hauling. With the JT only having a 5ft bed my sienna is more capable of hauling. Two things though have made this the perfect car for me.

Diamondback HD cover. I couldn't live without this, the bed suddenly becomes a large waterproof and fully secure trunk, even when I am doorless. Plus the top of this still has the full cargo capacity of the JT meaning I still can strap down the random thing I do haul with this. Best of both worlds since I never need to remove my crap or cover.

2nd item in my 16ft landscaping trailer I bought when I moved to tow with the van and never sold. Thing was $1200 and holds anything I ever need to haul. fully makes up for any deficiencies in the JT bed for sure here, and allows me to truely max out the capbility.

Overall love this thing, but the bed size and lower tow rating are things that have to be compensated for in other ways.

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
I have a Ram diesel for the big and heavy trailers. It is a short bed crew cab and still much bigger than my JT, which I use for everything else.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The way I handled it is by going and getting one.

I still LOVE the Gladiator and may possibly have another one day. But for now I'm basking in the glory of 480 lbs/ft of torque @ 1,600 RPM, a cab as roomy as a walk-in closet, a bed that I can fit an ATV in and still close the tailgate, 10,000 lbs. of towing capacity, rear e-locker, off-road suspension, 35" tires, integrated factory brake controller, and 27 miles per gallon on the interstate. Plus, it still fits in my garage. And the curb weight is only a few hundred lbs. over the Gladiator.

It'll pull my fully loaded enclosed trailer up hills in 8th gear and it's as quiet as a church on the inside.

I think I'm in love.

20200530_210806[1].jpg

Sponsored

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
The way I handled it is by going and getting one.

I still LOVE the Gladiator and may possibly have another one day. But for now I'm basking in the glory of 480 lbs/ft of torque @ 1,600 RPM, a cab as roomy as a walk-in closet, a bed that I can fit an ATV in and still close the tailgate, 10,000 lbs. of towing capacity, rear e-locker, off-road suspension, 35" tires, integrated factory brake controller, and 27 miles per gallon on the interstate. Plus, it still fits in my garage. And the curb weight is only a few hundred lbs. over the Gladiator.

It'll pull my fully loaded enclosed trailer up hills in 8th gear and it's as quiet as a church on the inside.

I think I'm in love.

Jeep Gladiator How do you deal with the thought of another full size truck? 20200530_210806[1]
Got to rub it in about the integrated trailer brake controller don't you! ;)

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Try taking a F250 or even a F150 Rock crawling or off roading and see how much fun they are compared to the JT. Or better still see if you can make it as far as your Gladiator/Wrangler friends do.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
How do I handle it? I grab my keys, and go outside and fire up my 600 HP 2007 Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 Cummins if I need to tow anything of any weight or size. ;)

I’m a truck guy first, and a Jeep guy 2nd. So I will always have a “real” truck (my Cummins) for towing, and other real truck dedicated things... As well as have another vehicle to use as a daily-driver (my JTR) to do daily running around, errands, groceries, carry small or dirty things in the bed, and very light towing.

Jeep Gladiator How do you deal with the thought of another full size truck? 20492CB5-E57F-4265-9D4E-8597804D12A6
Jeep Gladiator How do you deal with the thought of another full size truck? BE49720B-FE96-4750-A00E-20EF111D3AC0

Jeep Gladiator How do you deal with the thought of another full size truck? 1D94FF64-9840-4513-8B25-2E901A4B0ECC

Last edited:

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I know what I bought.
Same here. Some seem to think of the JT as a full-size truck replacement, when it is actually a bit of a hybrid mid-sized truck/wrangler. It’s limited in capabilities in both respects. It is not a truck replacement, nor a Wrangler replacement.

For what it is, it it is great... Which is a VERY capable off-roader with mid-size truck towing and payload capabilities...Which is exactly what I need for daily use, hunting, fishing, light work around the property/house, etc... And that’s why I bought mine. :like:

Last edited:
OP
OP
DylanR

DylanR

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Same here. Some seem to think of the JT as a full-size truck replacement, when it is actually a bit of a hybrid mid-sized truck/wrangler. It’s limited in capabilities in both respects. It is not a full-size truck replacement, nor a Wrangler replacement.

For what it is, it it is great... Which is a VERY capable off-roader with mid-size truck towing and payload capabilities. And that’s why I bought mine. :like:
my thoughts exactly...

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Same here. Some seem to think of the JT as a full-size truck replacement, when it is actually a bit of a hybrid mid-sized truck/wrangler. It’s limited in capabilities in both respects. It is not a full-size truck replacement, nor a Wrangler replacement.

For what it is, it it is great... Which is a VERY capable off-roader with mid-size truck towing and payload capabilities. And that’s why I bought mine. :like:
Exactly, know what your getting into before making a $40,000 purchase. I mean that's a lot of money to spend to be second guessing less than a year later. I always wanted a truck but loved my wrangler. Wasn't expecting to love the Gladiator but after driving it I was hooked. Still was a struggle missing my old JKU but after I put the 35's on and saw how much better it rides and the mpgs are way better plus I can tow over 6,000lbs, I'm sold on it. It was between this a rebel, and a raptor, and I feel like I can live with my decision. If I want a Rebel one day I'm sure I'll get one, Raptor is off the list.

bluedevil1

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, 2005 F250 Diesel
Occupation
Educator
Vehicle Showcase

For what it is, it it is great... Which is a VERY capable off-roader with mid-size truck towing and payload capabilities...Which is exactly what I need for daily use, hunting, fishing, light work around the property/house, etc... And that’s why I bought mine. :like:
Exactly. My Gladiator replaced my 2014 JKU, which couldn't tow shit for a trailer, so we bought a 2005 F250 diesel that we paid cash for three years ago that tows the 7,000 lb 26 foot trailer. The F250 goes to Lowe's and tows the trailer 4-5 times a year. That's why it only has 80,000 original miles on it (that and a guy from AZ who towed the F250 behind a 46' motor coach for 10 years)!
Sponsored